PDA

View Full Version : Frustration Please Help

TopKat59
November 11th, 2009, 09:18 AM
I have been using ubuntu for three years. It has been for the most part a positive experience. I first got involved simply because I was broke and needed a new computer. I really would have preferred a Mac but I lacked the funds at the time. I dislike Microsoft: their philosophy of both arrogance and greed, and of course their clunky intrusive operating system. I have never minded putting in the time to configure my system as I was supporting a philosophy of openness and community. I am by no means a computer expert and it has been at times difficult and humbling. But I hung in there and it was worth it.I was learning something.

But I have come to a place where I am feeling a lack of support for people like myself. And it is people like myself, non experts,people for whom the computer is tool and not an end in itself, who make up most of the world. I am having a configuration problem with a wireless keyboard. I have searched the forums, wrote of my problems, looked through what literature I have, spent what amounts to some 15 or 20 hours trying to resolve the issue, and not doing the work I would like to be doing on the computer. I have gotten one response on another linux forum and it didn't resolve the problem. I no longer know where to turn. I would happly pay for the correct advice but truly I am not sure if such a thing exists(truly someone should set up a dedicated service for individual problems on line--it would be a godsend). It may seem a little thing getting a keyboard to work properly but it is a real problem. Someone please help me I want to stay in the ubuntu world but I need to get on with my life.

My problem is posted in Hardware and Laptops. User name: TopKat59. Post: " Mystery Wireless Keyboard Logictech s520 suddenly worked. Then.."

Thank You in advance.

lisati
November 11th, 2009, 09:23 AM
For reference of others who might come this way: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1321963

As I type, I see your support request has been viewed at least 16 times, but with no replies yet; and it's only 12 hours or so since you've posted it.

Perhaps the person who is best equipped to help you hasn't seen your thread yet....

toupeiro
November 11th, 2009, 09:32 AM
I have been using ubuntu for three years. It has been for the most part a positive experience. I first got involved simply because I was broke and needed a new computer. I really would have preferred a Mac but I lacked the funds at the time. I dislike Microsoft: their philosophy of both arrogance and greed, and of course their clunky intrusive operating system. I have never minded putting in the time to configure my system as I was supporting a philosophy of openness and community. I am by no means a computer expert and it has been at times difficult and humbling. But I hung in there and it was worth it.I was learning something.

But I have come to a place where I am feeling a lack of support for people like myself. And it is people like myself, non experts,people for whom the computer is tool and not an end in itself, who make up most of the world. I am having a configuration problem with a wireless keyboard. I have searched the forums, wrote of my problems, looked through what literature I have, spent what amounts to some 15 or 20 hours trying to resolve the issue, and not doing the work I would like to be doing on the computer. I have gotten one response on another linux forum and it didn't resolve the problem. I no longer know where to turn. I would happly pay for the correct advice but truly I am not sure if such a thing exists(truly someone should set up a dedicated service for individual problems on line--it would be a godsend). It may seem a little thing getting a keyboard to work properly but it is a real problem. Someone please help me I want to stay in the ubuntu world but I need to get on with my life.

My problem is posted in Hardware and Laptops. User name: TopKat59. Post: " Mystery Wireless Keyboard Logictech s520 suddenly worked. Then.."

Thank You in advance.

Couple of things:

1) We've all been where you are. Some of us were there during times when linux support wasn't even a shadow of what it is today. Open Source can give you as much as you put into it, so please don't take the attitude that you are "owe'd" anything by the community for using Linux, because it wont serve you or anyone else well at all. Patience will get you through most issues you have. Maybe I am misreading you, but you seem to want some sort of merit compensation and escalation of your problem due to the fact you've run ubuntu for three years. I think thats great, and I hope its served you well, outside of that, it just doesn't work that way. :)

2) Before you go out and buy a bunch of hardware for your system, understand that 90% of hardware does not go through any sort of linux certification process, and yes, something as non-standard (in the methods of communication design) as a wireless keyboard can potentially give you some grief. (Don't think this only exists on linux. I've seen my share of windows machines combat wireless peripheral issues as well.) Always give http://www.ubuntuhcl.org/ a quick scan before making a purchase like this. If you are open to alternatives, I am using the Microsoft Wireless Laser Mouse 6000 and the Microsoft Wireless Comfort Keyboard 1.0A without a single issue on linux. If you don't mind "Microsoft" being written on your input devices, you should have no heartburn at all using these components.

3) I will happily give you this information free of charge, because after all, I am here on this forum, and using ubuntu, for the same reason as you are, because we both want to be. There is definitely plenty of choice in the matter.

Cheers!

-T.

hobo14
November 11th, 2009, 11:02 AM
Couple of things:

1) We've all been where you are. Some of us were there during times when linux support wasn't even a shadow of what it is today. Open Source can give you as much as you put into it, so please don't take the attitude that you are "owe'd" anything by the community for using Linux, because it wont serve you or anyone else well at all. Patience will get you through most issues you have. Maybe I am misreading you, but you seem to want some sort of merit compensation and escalation of your problem due to the fact you've run ubuntu for three years. I think thats great, and I hope its served you well, outside of that, it just doesn't work that way. :)

2) Before you go out and buy a bunch of hardware for your system, understand that 90% of hardware does not go through any sort of linux certification process, and yes, something as non-standard (in the methods of communication design) as a wireless keyboard can potentially give you some grief. (Don't think this only exists on linux. I've seen my share of windows machines combat wireless peripheral issues as well.) Always give http://www.ubuntuhcl.org/ a quick scan before making a purchase like this. If you are open to alternatives, I am using the Microsoft Wireless Laser Mouse 6000 and the Microsoft Wireless Comfort Keyboard 1.0A without a single issue on linux. If you don't mind "Microsoft" being written on your input devices, you should have no heartburn at all using these components.

3) I will happily give you this information free of charge, because after all, I am here on this forum, and using ubuntu, for the same reason as you are, because we both want to be. There is definitely plenty of choice in the matter.

Cheers!

-T.

1. Harsh.
2. Better.
3. Nice finish!

TopKat59
November 11th, 2009, 07:34 PM
My keyboard was working and then stopped. I wondered if anybody knew what was disabled during the online upgrade process. I was surprised that no one seemed to know. I searched and made queries on several other forums and tried a chat room. I have been doing so for a week. My point is that I have been hanging in there and I truly enjoy using the system.I suppose I am addressing what is both the strength and weakness of open source the very fact that it is decentralised. In no way did I mean to attack or cause anyone offence. And in terms of escalating responsiveness, I mentioned the that I have been using the system for three years simply to give some indication of where I am in terms of the process of solving problems on ubuntu(try as I might, imperfectly); in no way do I feel that I am owed anything. Quite the opposite. I am extremely grateful to the community. Still faced with the problem I have I decided to try another tact to draw some attention to my problem(and I am not alone in this problem either specifically nor in general: obviously). I might have escalated my approach as I am pretty sure that someone out there could help me, and by doing so others. I realise that their are many questions unresolved out there and so, as one might in a crowded room, I raised my voice slightly.

I ask gently now, what is one to do when they hit an apparent dead end? There are many threads similar to mine out there in the forums which have no response. Where to turn? I turned to the community. Sorry if my tone was misunderstood.

In All Due Respect

sanderella
November 11th, 2009, 07:43 PM
Like you, I use linux, but I'm not a geek. The best help I get is from my local Linux User Group. If you can get to one, you'll have real life people who know what to do to sort your computer out. Most people who go to LUGs use Ubuntu, and many of them work on computers and help to develop linux. May I suggest you Google 'Linux User Group' and your state or country, and search for a local group from there. (I'm lucky enough to have one only 7 miles from my home.)

Hope it goes well for you.:)