PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can't connect to vino server

bullka
November 11th, 2009, 08:59 AM
I have a default Ubuntu Desktop 9.10 installation. The probolem is:

I can't connect using vncviewer. Sometimes I can.. and seems that I can only when I'm logged in locally to Gnome desktop and Screen Saver is not running. If I'm not logged in - vncviewer gives me an error that it can't connect.

I tried restarting the server remotely through SSH. Didn't help.

What are my options to connect to Gnome GUI remotely? What can I check/do/configure/enable through SSH?

bullka
November 11th, 2009, 09:06 AM
Hi,

I thound a thread how to control vino server remotely: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=266981 but it assumes that I need to be logged in:

--
CAVEAT: A user must already be logged into the desktop on the target machine for this to work
--

Any ideas?

Nicolas_VP
November 11th, 2009, 09:07 AM
1. What is your Video card? If you have Nvidia G-force as I have, so you should disable visual effects in Preferences - > Desktop settings.
2. You should be logged in (in Ubuntu) when you trying to connect to this machine, otherwise you will see blank screen.

bullka
November 11th, 2009, 09:19 AM
1. What is your Video card? If you have Nvidia G-force as I have, so you should disable visual effects in Preferences - > Desktop settings.
2. You should be logged in (in Ubuntu) when you trying to connect to this machine, otherwise you will see blank screen.

1. Visual effects are disabled. I am aware of that issue with visual effects. My card is ATI. Are you able to connect to Ubuntu desktop at all while you're not logged in locally?

2. I don't even see a black screen. Vncviewer doesn't connect at all. Check the attachment.

What else could I install and configure to my Ubuntu desktop remotely through SSH to be able to see GUI?

Nicolas_VP
November 11th, 2009, 10:28 AM
When I need to connect to my desktop while I'm not loggin in I'm using x11vnc. To use it you need to disable (kill the proccess in ssh) and run x11vnc from command line.
All the information you can take from here:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=45565
Please not that vino and x11vnc are using the same port for the remote connection. So you can't run them simultaneously.

bullka
November 11th, 2009, 11:13 AM
When I need to connect to my desktop while I'm not loggin in I'm using x11vnc. To use it you need to disable (kill the proccess in ssh) and run x11vnc from command line.
All the information you can take from here:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=45565
Please not that vino and x11vnc are using the same port for the remote connection. So you can't run them simultaneously.

Thanks. I will try.

---
Just tested with my wife at home: when she was not logged - I couldn't connect. When she logged to Gnome - I was able to connect with vncviewer to Home desktop GUI.
But this is not acceptable at all.

So I will try a solution with x11vnc you suggested.

plum7500
November 26th, 2009, 04:06 PM
So did x11vnc work for you as I am having the similar problem? I do get further and can log in but am getting the black screen.