PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] tzdata shows up in "Installed (local or obsolete)"

Spectre5
November 11th, 2009, 07:04 AM
Hello all. I just finished the "upgrade" to 9.10 (quotes because startup is, for now, much slower for me). Anyways, I noticed that synaptic now lists most of my files under the "Installed (manual)" category and I'm not sure why. I didn't install most of these, an most of them are in fact system programs.

However, more importantly, it lists a number of packages in the "Installed (local or obsolete)" category. One of the packages listed in this local or obsolete category is tzdata. If I select to remove tzdata, it selects nearly everything on my entire system (including things like xorg, acpi-support, alsa-base, etc). I'm sure this is wrong that thus I have not un-installed this. But why does ubuntu put tzdata in local or obsolete packages when so many other packages depend on it?

Thanks,
Scott

EDIT: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/synaptic/+bug/464820

Spectre5
November 12th, 2009, 01:43 AM
Bump - any ideas?

conchyliferous
November 12th, 2009, 11:41 AM
I would like an answer to that as well.

Spectre5
November 14th, 2009, 01:57 AM
I would like an answer to that as well.

An update today corrected the tzdata package for me. Did it solve the problem for you?

I still have nearly every installed package in the (manual) folder though!

falconindy
November 14th, 2009, 02:24 AM
I think it's pretty clear that Synaptic is broken as far as being able to property categorize packages.