PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] What's the deal with 9.10 version?

Zanoah
November 11th, 2009, 05:40 AM
I just downloaded 9.10 Desktop, and when I put the burned CD in, then go to install the Ubuntu, I got black screen, telling me that my monitor cannot stand that resolution? I mean, did you make this on purpose, so we old timers with old monitors, like "Philips 109E5", cannot install new free ubuntu op system? I also tried Philips 107T5 model, and I got same message. Anyhow, I cannot install it, I tried everything! Now I'm just gonna get to ver. 8.10 or maybe 7.10, since this version can recognize my Nvidia 7600 GS 2D/3D card.

PS: If anyone can help on 9.10 ubuntu version, lower resolution or lower refresh rate, please let me know, until then, ya all stay cool, nice and free with your software :) I just hope, Ubuntu will stay free, and not gonna take me buy new monitor to install 9.10 version...

skyiscrying
November 11th, 2009, 06:08 AM
During my first install of Karmic I was greeted with a black Desktop - but the panels were there. So I went into System ... Preferences ... Appearance..... and I changed Visual Effects to "none". That worked.

Menthu_Rae
November 11th, 2009, 06:53 AM
Download the alternate rather than desktop CD. It will run in a low-resolution command-line like interface that will be sure to get Ubuntu installed on your system :D

Zanoah
November 11th, 2009, 06:53 AM
I cannot see anything, since my monitor is out of range, no panel, no anything, black hole, with a -frequency out of range- message... I'll stay at 8.10 version for now!

mikewhatever
November 11th, 2009, 10:51 AM
Have you tried the low graphics mode? It can be selected by hitting f4 at the live cd's boot menu screen.
PS: A more descriptive thread title would have been nice.

Zanoah
November 12th, 2009, 12:03 PM
I agree it's not all that descriptive thread, I'll be more brief next time :). Now back to new Ubuntu, I tried low graphic mode on cd-boot, but as soon as I installed it, it is going into high graphic or some mode, that my monitor cannot recognize? For the sake of info, I got Philips 109Es model and my graphic is Nvidia 7600 GS. Anyhow, I installed 7.10 version later that night, just to check if that works, and it seems to work fine. If someone got some info how to lower the graphic mode and refresh rate, please let me know. Thanks in advance. :)