PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Using Hardy8.04 Still

bigb_thedestroyer
November 11th, 2009, 04:31 AM
I'm using Hardy 8.04LTS and I'm quite happy with it, and its been working great for me, however, I'm now 3 releases behind and the next LTS is coming with 10.04. I have some questions that I need answering.

Are there enough changes to the distro to warrant an upgrade to 9.10
Is it a seamless process?
Will I lose any of my previous configuration? (installed programs, .bashrc, .vimrc, etc...?
Is there a way to save my configuration, and restore it after the upgrade?
Or should I just wait until the end of the 3 years for 8.04?

I eventually will change to 10.04 because it is the next LTS, and If I need to do a lot of work now to prepare, I want to get started.

Ideas and advice is appreciated.

Thanks.

raymondh
November 11th, 2009, 04:44 AM
I'm using Hardy 8.04LTS and I'm quite happy with it, and its been working great for me, however, I'm now 3 releases behind and the next LTS is coming with 10.04. I have some questions that I need answering.

Are there enough changes to the distro to warrant an upgrade to 9.10
Is it a seamless process?
Will I lose any of my previous configuration? (installed programs, .bashrc, .vimrc, etc...?
Is there a way to save my configuration, and restore it after the upgrade?
Or should I just wait until the end of the 3 years for 8.04?

I eventually will change to 10.04 because it is the next LTS, and If I need to do a lot of work now to prepare, I want to get started.

Ideas and advice is appreciated.

Thanks.

I have a netbook running happy and stable with Hardy. I do plan to upgrade that to the next LTS which is 5 months away (april 2010). My other laptop has Jaunty and Karmic. Karmic is giving me problems and I plan to go back to Jaunty and then do a clean install with the next LTS.

My test machine works well with Karmic (in production mode) although I have Jaunty on a 2nd HD as a back-up.

To retain your settings, config, files (which are stored in /home), may I suggest you consider separating /home from /. As the versions change, you might have some cosmetic (minor) tweaks to do which is still manageable. Look at psychocats' tutorial (http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/separatehome) about separating /home. Proceed only when you feel comfortable.

My usual modus-operendi is to download and install the beta version of a new release into a spare HD and start tweaking it while my main production version is on a separate, first-to-boot HD. Once released and I am comfortable, I then change the BIOS order to make it my production version.

To see if 9.10 warrants your interest, try the live CD/ live session.

Happy ubuntu-ing.

stinger30au
November 11th, 2009, 05:05 AM
dont upgrade to 9.10 yet

stick with 8.04

theres only a few months to go for 10.04, just hang tight

backup wise

i would backup all email from evolution with the simple backup it comes with, if you use anything else, youll have to find instructions..plenty of instructions on how to do this

also backup firefox settings

also backup rss reader stuff too if u use lifrea or the likes

save anything else important oyu have on the hdd where the os resides

Sef
November 11th, 2009, 05:38 AM
dont upgrade to 9.10 yet

stick with 8.04

theres only a few months to go for 10.04, just hang tight

Agreed. You will be able to update directly from 8.04 to 10.04. Otherwise you have to upgrade to the next Ubuntu version.