PDA

View Full Version : Do you stick with LTS releases?

kio_http
November 11th, 2009, 04:29 AM
Do you keep using the LTS releases? Or, do you always use the latest? Or do you sometimes even use an old release that is not an LTS

spcwingo
November 11th, 2009, 04:31 AM
LTS only for me, thank you very much! :)

Ex0suit
November 11th, 2009, 04:33 AM
Do you keep using the LTS releases? Or, do you always use the latest? Or do you sometimes even use an old release that is not an LTS

Every stable release.

sports fan Matt
November 11th, 2009, 04:35 AM
Usually Im every release early...but I may change this. If it's not broken, why would I fix it?

c2006
November 11th, 2009, 04:40 AM
With 9.10, I started on one of the late betas. I've generally found that near or just before the RC, things are usually pretty stable.

Kubuntu 9.10 has been pretty much rock solid since it went RC, and the only problems I was having I'd experienced before on other versions anyway (though ther were a few cases where I had to blank the .kde folder).

stinger30au
November 11th, 2009, 05:08 AM
i use both LTS and latest release

i use LTS on my desktop pc and latest release on my laptop

wulfgang
November 11th, 2009, 05:18 AM
I always use the The latest stable release, however karmic koala is not looking to well. I'm sticking with jaunty.

kpholmes
November 11th, 2009, 05:30 AM
Both my desktops run 9.10 and my server runs 9.04

Frak
November 11th, 2009, 05:30 AM
I don't, LTSs are too stable for me. I need a little adventure in my job.

kpholmes
November 11th, 2009, 05:36 AM

I agree. I have lts on my server but some of the software packages were to old for my liking.

And 9.04 server is running great. I have no reason to upgrade.

frup
November 11th, 2009, 05:36 AM
I always used to use the latest release, but as I've gotten older I've gotten busier, the features also haven't been as compelling.

I skipped 8.10 but went to 9.04 for ext4 and also use grub2. With all that there, 9.10 doesn't really seem worth the upgrade. I will consider 10.04 especially if it is an LTS but it will still need to be worth it.

Frak
November 11th, 2009, 05:40 AM
I agree. I have lts on my server but some of the software packages were to old for my liking.

And 9.04 server is running great. I have no reason to upgrade.
My server controls a flood gate, and I want to put something unstable on it so when it does crash, I'll be ready to go kayaking.

fancypiper
November 11th, 2009, 05:43 AM
I usually run two machines, so I usually upgrade/install the "beta" a week before it's final release. If I like it on the test box, I will either upgrade/re-install on my workbox, depending on the amount of change between the two.

perbiu
November 11th, 2009, 05:58 AM
I learned my lessons to stick on a working perfect desktop version.
Karmic just broke my perfect jaunty desktop.

I made a decision, to create 2 installations, one is for stable lts and used for business and work, and the other is for fun using latest release.

michaelzap
November 11th, 2009, 06:04 AM
I usually try out the betas and do a clean install of either the RC or final release every six months. Karmic bit me badly this time around, however, so next release I'll probably update my non-essential machine first. I expect Lucid will be extra-solid (especially being based on Debian Testing instead of Sid), but the Ubuntu release schedule needs some review.

ZankerH
November 11th, 2009, 06:24 AM
I normally upgrade my desktop a couple of weeks before beta.

inobe
November 11th, 2009, 07:12 AM
it's always latest and greatest, we must pave the way for the best LTS ever.

TuckLive
November 11th, 2009, 07:26 AM
I stick with the LTS releases. Upgrading or installing every six months is just too often for me. Thanks to those that like to live on the edge and smooth out bugs. =D>

inobe
November 11th, 2009, 09:12 AM
I stick with the LTS releases. Upgrading or installing every six months is just too often for me. Thanks to those that like to live on the edge and smooth out bugs. =D>

yes' 10.04 lucid lynx will reveal everyones hard work.

i hope you like, i enjoyed the beatings and if i can speak for everyone else "they did too";)

koleoptero
November 11th, 2009, 10:35 AM
I always do for the latest stable, but since my laptop is getting older and some applications heavier, I might stay with lucid for more than 6 months. (of course those were my thoughts with hardy too lol)

TironN
November 11th, 2009, 10:36 AM
Once it's stable its mine!

adeypoop
November 11th, 2009, 10:39 AM
I was going to stick with Hardy until the next LTS but the improved graphics driver for intel and other new features were too good to resist. I'm very happy with Karmic, best Ubuntu yet for me. I will probably move to the next LTS when it is out and may stick with it or not... only problem with LTS is some software too old for my taste.

la3r
November 11th, 2009, 11:22 AM
Nah, I gotta have my new versions, but I do prefer the rolling release model of Arch and the like.
But the server runs on nothing but Debian stable!

XubuRoxMySox
November 11th, 2009, 11:33 AM
It's nice to have more than one 'puter to play with. The one I use for school and other absolutely essential stuff will just be LTS from now on.

The other one (exactly the same as the first, but non-essential) is my test 'puter for all those times that the
ooo000ooo, shiny! bug bites, and my need for adventure gets the better of me.

-Robin

JBAlaska
November 11th, 2009, 11:43 AM
I've kept Hardy on my server..But I like Karmic so much on my other machines that I'm going to go to 9.10 on the server as well.

Zoot7
November 11th, 2009, 12:21 PM
I stuck with Hardy, and originally intended to use it up until Lucid, but then I found I no longer had to use ndiswrapper in Jaunty to use my Desktop's wireless card. So hence I'm using Karmic now.
Once Lucid comes along I'd say it'll be LTS -> LTS for me.

Junkieman
November 11th, 2009, 01:27 PM
I like the stability of older releases. I'd like to use the latest each time if I had the bandwidth to burn.

samh785
November 11th, 2009, 01:30 PM
My server controls a flood gate, and I want to put something unstable on it so when it does crash, I'll be ready to go kayaking.
lmao

t0p
November 11th, 2009, 01:38 PM
I've had Hardy (LTS) on my desktop computer since its release.

I run newer versions on my netbook. I had vanilla Intrepid on it, currently it's Jaunty Eeebuntu. I will try Karmic on it soon.

You see, the desktop machine is sort of "mission critical": not that its failure would be a life or death kinda thing, but I do a lot of paid work on it. Whereas the netbook is more of a "toy" to me - not a toy in the sense that it's not a serious computer (it most certainly is a serious computer), but in that its failure won't affect anything too serious in my life.

gnomeuser
November 11th, 2009, 01:39 PM
I tend to switch over to the development branch early on in the cycle. Buckle up and set my phasors to bug report

BrokenKingpin
November 11th, 2009, 03:01 PM
I want to, but I never do. I am going to try to stick to the LTS releases on my server, and keep the latest stable on my main machine.

kio_http
November 11th, 2009, 03:10 PM
Latest stable release for me. And updated regularly

Kubuntu 9.10 with KDE 4.3.3

ratcheer
November 11th, 2009, 03:41 PM
I am, and have always been, a "latest stable release" kind of guy.

Tim

fela
November 11th, 2009, 03:42 PM

Agreed. Well, for me LTSs are just too old. I don't mind stable, but I need features. I thought you used windows though?

andymorton
November 11th, 2009, 03:48 PM
I usually upgrade at the beta stage of the release cycle. For Lucid, I'll be putting the first Alpha in to Virtualbox and seeing how things progress. :)

Wim Sturkenboom
November 11th, 2009, 03:48 PM
Prefer LTS; desktop went from Dapper to Hardy. If Lucid does not have major issues, I will upgrade in december 2009. If it has issues, I will leave Ubuntu and will probably go for a Slackware derivate.

My netbook runs 9.04 (could not find a 8.04 for download). Which brings me to the question if UNRs also have an LTS version?

andrew.46
November 11th, 2009, 11:13 PM
Hi Wim,

If it has issues, I will leave Ubuntu and will probably go for a Slackware derivate.

A little aside from the topic but can I ask why not Slackware itself?

Andrew

Frak
November 12th, 2009, 01:01 AM
I thought you used windows though?

Not exclusively.

MasterNetra
November 12th, 2009, 01:52 AM
I plan to stick to LTS's once Lucid comes out.

michaelzap
November 12th, 2009, 01:52 AM
I run newer versions on my netbook. I had vanilla Intrepid on it, currently it's Jaunty Eeebuntu. I will try Karmic on it soon.

I'm also running Jaunty Eeebuntu on my netbook, and it's flawless. Did you know that they will be basing Eeebuntu on Debian from now on? And the Crunchbang dev is also considering switching to a Debian base...

Ewingo401
November 12th, 2009, 01:53 AM
I recently decided to go LTS only. I plan on running 8.04 until its desktop support ends and then switch to 10.04. It will have been out for a year by then and should be mega stable. I plan on repeating this process every time support for my current LTS ends.

cariboo
November 12th, 2009, 02:13 AM
I run Hardy, Jaunty, Karmic and Lucid. Different versions for different purposes. I have 4 computers running Karmic and one each Hardy, Jaunty and Lucid.

I even just did the very scary upgrade on my laptop this afternoon with out any problems.

Wim Sturkenboom
November 12th, 2009, 06:37 AM
Hi Wim,
A little aside from the topic but can I ask why not Slackware itself?
AndrewYou can ask :) I like to get something that can be maintained by my wife/girlfriend without having to go through commandline stuff; Slackware might have changed in the past years but I only run it as a server (since 10.x) so I don't know if it already has a GUI update manager because I never use a GUI on it.

slakkie
November 12th, 2009, 06:39 AM
I'm using LTS version on my server. Running the Lucid development release on my laptop.

LTS on server will be replaces by Lucid when the time is ripe. Since it will be different hardware compared with my laptop I will probably run Lucid on it when it reaches the beta.

LepeKaname
November 12th, 2009, 06:43 AM
I only use LTS for servers

Megrimn
November 12th, 2009, 07:05 AM
I tried sticking with the Hardy LTS, but I got sick of all the workarounds I needed to do to get newer software.

oldsoundguy
November 12th, 2009, 07:07 AM
LTS on the main box where I do most of my work. Hot new items on two other boxes so I can figure it out BEFORE the next LTS and know what to do when it hits .. and one step back on Myth and Mint boxes because that is the way of their builds.

inobe
November 12th, 2009, 09:59 AM
I tried sticking with the Hardy LTS, but I got sick of all the workarounds I needed to do to get newer software.

yes' that's definitely an LTS, install it, get it setup as you like, get security updates and leave it, don't fix if not broken.

back when i tested 8.04 LTS i hadn't realized what LTS was.

simply said' when i found out and seen the pattern i realized it wasn't my style to just leave stuff well enough alone, i needed to see what the next flagship would turn out to be piece by piece.

i love running into the unexpected and by far it's been the most enjoyable and exciting ride of my life.

judge jankum
November 12th, 2009, 10:07 AM
I've just gotten 9.04 working flawless for what I do (Audio recording) I'm staying here lol!!!
If it ain't broke don't fix it....Not sure what difference LTS makes if a system is working the way you need it too?

inobe
November 12th, 2009, 10:19 AM
it's ideal for large deployments, office platforms and is supported longer than any other release.

it would be a headache to reinstall or upgrade 50 computers every six months.

judge jankum
November 12th, 2009, 10:26 AM
it's ideal for large deployments, office platforms and is supported longer than any other release.

it would be a headache to reinstall or upgrade 50 computers every six months.

If everything's working why upgrade?

pmlxuser
November 12th, 2009, 10:35 AM
usually because i love new things i stick to the most current stable release. now 9.10

inobe
November 12th, 2009, 10:42 AM
If everything's working why upgrade?

exactly :)

the LTS is officially supported for a couple years, we shouldn't do anything out of the ordinary until it reaches it's final days and is no longer supported.

jezza1972
November 12th, 2009, 12:01 PM
8.04 for me. I get resolution probs on 8.10 and sound is completely buggered up on 9.04 onwards, so i just stick to LTS releases.

judge jankum
November 12th, 2009, 12:04 PM
8.04 for me. I get resolution probs on 8.10 and sound is completely buggered up on 9.04 onwards, so i just stick to LTS releases.
I started with 9.04 and my sound was buggered up too....But i finally got all the ducks in a row and it works now...

jezza1972
November 12th, 2009, 05:27 PM
I started with 9.04 and my sound was buggered up too....But i finally got all the ducks in a row and it works now...

I know how to sort it out now, but at the time i decided to go back to hardy and wait for the next lts.

magmon
November 12th, 2009, 05:30 PM
I stick with itrepid because it supports all my hardware, unlike jaunty or karmic.

xpod
November 12th, 2009, 05:47 PM
Re: Do you stick with LTS releases?

Yup....quite often for the full 6 months too:p

In all seriousness though i`ve always had 2 drives in my desktop and i`ve always kept the current release on one drive with the upcoming release on the other.I`ll typically upgrade my "test drive" about half way through the 6 month cycle with the main drive getting upgraded a couple of weeks after the final release.
I`ve never stuck with any release much longer than that though.
I bought compatible parts when i first built this Desktop so i`ve never had any real problems in the 2 Yr`s i`ve had the thing.If i had reason to stick with an LTS then mabey i would but as it stands it`s onwards & upwards.

tuahaa
November 12th, 2009, 06:30 PM
There's just something about having the latest release, especially when it comes to new features and forum support...

NJC
November 12th, 2009, 07:42 PM
My latest plan is keep the old version of Ubuntu and install the latest release on a separate partition. Then if the new OS is borked, I can revert to old. 9.10 is working well, except for one small annoyance of display not waking after gnome power manager shuts it off.