PDA

View Full Version : Downloading Development Tools

theunixgeek
November 11th, 2009, 01:32 AM
My Ubuntu computer doesn't have access to the internet, but I do through my Mac. I want to install some development tools on my fresh Ubuntu installation (gcc, quickly, the GTK+/PyGTK libraries, etc). Is there a way to download these development tools packages in the main repository as a disk image? Or is there another way for me to get all the packages I want without access to the internet on Ubuntu?

froggyswamp
November 11th, 2009, 01:49 AM
I've been wondering myself, but I suppose that if you used a DVD image to install Ubuntu there could/should also be the (main) devel packages and if so, you could add that DVD to your Software Sources so that Ubuntu installs the devel packages from the DVD. At least the Mandriva DVD contains the devel files and I did so and it worked on Mandriva 2010 PowerPack.

Flimm
November 11th, 2009, 02:14 AM
You can use Synaptic to create download scripts. Just mark the packages you want to install and then click File, Generate package download script. I don't use Mac OS X myself but I think you can install wget on it, making the script runnable on a Mac.

jespdj
November 12th, 2009, 02:02 PM
You can download the *.deb packages from http://packages.ubuntu.com

Install a *.deb package by double-clicking on it, or running this in a terminal:

dpkg -i filename.deb
If the package you want to install depends on other packages, you'll need to install those first.