PDA

View Full Version : [mythbuntu] Settings - request for an overview

idrisdraig
November 11th, 2009, 01:15 AM
If you install a PCI card and need to change settings for it, how do you do this?

From what I can tell from reading hundreds of posts, there will be commands I can type into a terminal to change the settings on the card.

1) Is command line likely to be the only option in Linux for modifying settings on the card, or is there likely to be some GUI that can do the job as well, and if so where do you find it?

2) If command line is the only option, how do you find the settings you want to change and what the possible values are?

3) As far as I can tell, you can edit configuration files (edit lines within them, add lines, etc etc) but I've found no mention of how to do this. (Just "Copy this text ..." with little mention of what you're actually doing.)
If I had to do this in Windows I'd expect to navigate to a file with Explorer, open it in Notepad, edit the text, click on save, possibly reboot the PC, and if I'd got it right the changes would take effect. What is the coresponding process in Ubuntu?

4) Is there any reliable way to make sure you can get beack to a state before you started making changes?

Sorry if this is coverend elsewhere, but I've failed to find this sort of information in probably a dozen "beginners guides" and couple of hundred posts.