PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Is there a minimalistic Ubuntu?

Shibblet
November 11th, 2009, 12:47 AM
I currently use Kubuntu, and really enjoy the K Desktop Environment.

But what I am looking for is a Ubuntu based OS that comes with nothing but the basics. KDE, Ubuntu Kernel, pakage manager, basic OS utilities, and a simple web-browser.

I want to add the applications of my choice, without having to un-install the ones in place at first.

Is there such a creature?

snowpine
November 11th, 2009, 01:25 AM
Hi Shibblet, yes, of course Ubuntu offers a minimal installer, check it out:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/MinimalCD

You can install exactly and only the packages of your choice.

Here is a neat tutorial: http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/minimal

jollysnowman
November 11th, 2009, 01:25 AM
Do a CLI install of Kubuntu, and build it up from there?

Shibblet
November 11th, 2009, 01:31 AM
Thanks for the info! What all is included in the 12.1Meg file?

XubuRoxMySox
November 11th, 2009, 01:32 AM
Do a CLI install of Kubuntu, and build it up from there?

I would do a CLI install of KDE not "kubuntu-desktop" which is the metapackage that will give you essentially all the same stuff (it installs the whole kubuntu system and apps and everything), leaving you with anything but a minimal install. Just put in the basic desktop environment, then add only the applications (beyond the ones that are native to KDE) that you prefer.

-Robin

snowpine
November 11th, 2009, 01:37 AM
Thanks for the info! What all is included in the 12.1Meg file?

It is a "net installer" that connects to the Ubuntu mirror and downloads the basic packages for a minimal, command-line-only install, then you can install whatever packages (KDE, a web browser, etc.) you choose. Did you read the help page and tutorial I linked to in my previous post?

Shibblet
November 11th, 2009, 01:55 AM
I did. But what I am missing is, when I go to download "kubuntu-desktop" isn't that the same as just installing Kubuntu right from the CD?

EDIT: Never mind, I saw that post from dixiedancer.

Fortunately this is going to be on my Netbook, and I don't have to worry about messing up my main Kubuntu Desktop Computer.

XubuRoxMySox
November 11th, 2009, 02:15 AM
I did. But what I am missing is, when I go to download "kubuntu-desktop" isn't that the same as just installing Kubuntu right from the CD?

YES IT IS! Don't do it!

You can install KDE without having to install the whole Kubuntu desktop!

Install the minimal Ubuntu from the CD, then open a terminal and enter

sudo apt-get install kde-minimal

Done!

Okay, lol, by the time I finished typing this you got it. Cool.

-Robin

ratcheer
November 11th, 2009, 02:34 AM
I would say, "Debian".

Tim

Shibblet
November 11th, 2009, 05:50 AM
Would I be better off installing kde-core. I want dolphin file manager, and such. I just don't need the graphic editing programs, and other apps like kopete.

All I want is basic OS functionality, file manager, window manager, and such. I'll choose the apps.

Shibblet
November 11th, 2009, 09:53 AM
Install the minimal Ubuntu from the CD, then open a terminal and enter

sudo apt-get install kde-minimal

-Robin

Thanks so much. That was a lot easier than I originally thought! Although, the kde-minimal package comes with Open Office included. Fortunately for me, I am going to need that package also. I also needed to get kpackagekit, and then I can download whatever programs I like.

Woo hoo! You people rock! Thanks!

Shibblet
November 11th, 2009, 11:42 AM
But I have to ask one more question.

How do I get the wireless up and running on this computer. It's an MSI Wind.

Which packages do I need to download?

jollysnowman
November 11th, 2009, 02:35 PM
But I have to ask one more question.

How do I get the wireless up and running on this computer. It's an MSI Wind.

Which packages do I need to download?

I use wicd as a network manager. If you're driver isn't supported out of the box, also look into ndiswrapper.

Shibblet
November 11th, 2009, 10:43 PM
I use wicd as a network manager. If you're driver isn't supported out of the box, also look into ndiswrapper.

Wicd worked beautifully.

After doing all of this, I am starting to see why people prefer it. The OS seems to run faster with a minimal installation... and there are a lot of apps that I don't really need to use with Ubuntu, like Kopete, I prefer aMSN.

Thanks again everyone for the amazing help.