PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Want XP back and still have Ubuntu

machosos
November 11th, 2009, 12:09 AM
I was looking for some help on this...not sure what the easiest approach would be...i am looking to get windows back for work and also for certain games i have trouble with on wine...i had windows XP pro but did a full install of hardy heron a while ago....now i want XP back and plan on dual booting...what would be the easiest way to do this??? all help is much appreciated.

jnorthr
November 11th, 2009, 12:49 AM
You HAVE backed up all your really important stuff, haven't you ?;)

If it were my machine, i'd put windows on first as a fresh install, make sure it works as expected, create a live CD of ubuntu 9.10 and see if that will run correctly. then if 9.10 runs from the live CD you can do a dual-boot install from there.

oldfred
November 11th, 2009, 06:01 PM
If you are planning on reinstalling Ubuntu I would follow jnorthr's advice.

But windows does not have to be the first but does have to be a primary partition, so depending on how your system is currently partitioned may determine what you have to do.

machosos
November 20th, 2009, 08:22 PM
i currently do not have any partitions...only ubuntu...but what i am running into now is that i boot from my xp disk and it says my hard drive is not recognized....any ideas what i should do now???

darkod
November 20th, 2009, 08:34 PM
Your hard drive is not recognized (like you have no hard drive at all) or you just can't see any partitions on it?
Windows will not be able to see your current ubuntu partitions (not by default) but it should be able to see something like unknown partitions etc. Just the fact that they exist.