PDA

View Full Version : AVG Antivirus Memory Usage

sports fan Matt
November 10th, 2009, 10:55 PM
Good Lord...

It uses AVG Free Edition 9.0.704
- 73.98MB (Freeware)

That is a LOT more then I ever remember it using. Are all the anti viruses using insane amounts of memory or have I been THAT removed in 2 years of my Ubuntu experience?

Why does it seem with every major update to what seems like any major program, the amount of memory the program needs to run is a large amount? Am i wrong in that assumption?

pwnst*r
November 11th, 2009, 12:09 AM
Good Lord...

It uses AVG Free Edition 9.0.704
- 73.98MB (Freeware)

That is a LOT more then I ever remember it using. Are all the anti viruses using insane amounts of memory or have I been THAT removed in 2 years of my Ubuntu experience?

Why does it seem with every major update to what seems like any major program, the amount of memory the program needs to run is a large amount? Am i wrong in that assumption?

there's more going on with links scanning, email scanner, etc etc. ALL of which are removable. also, mine doesn't use that much, and i will report when i get home. you must have just installed it.

sports fan Matt
November 11th, 2009, 12:43 AM
I havent installed it..I just saw the memory usage download of the new version on another website. And that got me thinking :lolflag:

wojox
November 11th, 2009, 12:49 AM
I think that's file size, not memory consumption.

jrusso2
November 11th, 2009, 12:49 AM
I was wondering if AVG 9 brought back the gui which was missing in AVG 8.5. Or are you talking about the Windows version?

sports fan Matt
November 11th, 2009, 01:05 AM
Wojox is correct. I shall update the title..it is still a lot imho.

sports fan Matt
November 11th, 2009, 01:08 AM
The installer i looked at was from filehippo.com, a windows based download size as we know..But im curious to see if the linux version is the same amount of file size.

pwnst*r
November 11th, 2009, 01:29 AM
you forgot to modify your first post.