PDA

View Full Version : Applying the Ubuntu Brainstorm idea to Real Life

murderslastcrow
November 10th, 2009, 10:41 PM
It's no secret- the world today is not a wonderful place. There are many problems in our social, economic, and political spheres. And, just like KDE 4.3 or Gnome 3, although we may be comfortable with the way things are, we need to change.

However, unlike KDE 4.3 and Gnome 3, we need to take peoples' opinions and ideas into account, and improve upon or create alternatives for systems already in place.

Some ideas like the Venus Project (given an honorable mention in the film Zeitgeist) by Jacque Fresco aim to revolutionize current social systems in order to open up new and better ways of living and managing the Earth's resources.

The main problem is that, although people may agree that there needs to be change, and although groups may protest in the streets, the necessary changes seem to take much too long to organize or don't seem in high enough demand. People end up sitting down to their same old lifestyle after observing these ideas, and get back to electing a representative who thinks he knows what's best, and people all across the world are still volunteering to be part of a system controlled by too few people.

Life is busy. It's hard to make time for revolutionizing society. However, GNU/Linux is a great example of what many people can do if they do it in collaboration.

So I propose to modernize and make new ideas more convenient to come across and implement, I wish to start a brainstorming website specifically for 'the world's problems,' or 'popular ideas' for society.

This way, regardless of which nation you're a part of, you can submit your idea, and propose solutions to be voted on by all members. If we have a large enough membership, it could be a great social experiment that could set the stage for innovation in our social systems. At a core human level, this could show what we all think are good (popular) ideas, along with intellectual solutions in the footnotes being voted up or down based on their presentability.

These popular solutions could then go on to a forum or other section of the site for further discussion on the dynamics that should be accounted for to provide such ideas with success.

If governments, organizations, and news organizations take notice, it could become a democratic search for improvement on the human race.

Of course, this all sounds very optimistic and sensationalistic. I want your input on several points.

1. Do you even think it's a good idea? (if not, what would make it a good idea?)
2. Are there any obvious areas I should be addressing with design that I haven't mentioned/what ideas would you have to improve design over, say, vanilla ubuntu-brainstorm-layout?
3. Do you think people would get more involved if good ideas were made more evident to them, and voted up or down by a great deal of people? Why or why not?
4. This one is important- are there any sites you know of that are currently trying to accomplish this who should be mentioned, or some other method that would altogether be more successful?

murderslastcrow
November 11th, 2009, 03:00 AM
I'll take that silence as affirmation. I'm getting to work on some blueprints to start a beta for this, and that will probably be easier for everyone to critique.

Exodist
November 11th, 2009, 04:20 AM
It's no secret- the world today is not a wonderful place. There are many problems in our social, economic, and political spheres. And, just like KDE 4.3 or Gnome 3, although we may be comfortable with the way things are, we need to change.

However, unlike..

Sorry I feel asleep at "However"... Wall of text got to me.

hoppipolla
November 11th, 2009, 04:27 AM
I like it, I say go for it :)

I have dabbled in similar things, I made this site that is fully functional but never quite got finished: www.twitteractivism.com

The only even slightly similar sites to yours I can think of are www.care2.com and www.idealist.com ... but they're really not that similar!

Have a Google and see if anything exists, but if not you may be on to a winner there!

You want my advice? Name it well, design it well, brand it well... and once it's up and running and looks cool (who knows you may even be able to use an open template or something that was used for the Ubuntu or KDE brainstorms)... show it to the media :)

That's what I was gonna do with my Twitter Activism site, as it gets the word out there! There are also lots of other promotion techniques (the best probably being SEO), but if it's a good site it will get at least some success regardless :)

Godspeed man, I like it! :)

murderslastcrow
November 11th, 2009, 06:52 AM
Yeah- I'm getting a lot of positive feedback elsewhere, and I haven't really found anything this concise. Mainly forums with unguided goals. I think the easier I make it for people to revise and vote up good ideas in an intuitively designed website, the more seriously people would take it. It would go beyond mere idealism.

Again, you're right that is has to gain visibility, be impressive enough to be reported on, and look good to get the attention it needs to be successful. So I'm going to make sure it looks and works great first of all, and probably select some people to try out some designs and see if they feel easy enough.

And, just as one of the commenters said, we should make it easy to add visuals since no one is in love with walls of text (I might be, but some really good people still have ADHD).

So yeah, I'll probably be posting the layout here for criticism.

23meg
November 11th, 2009, 07:29 AM
4. This one is important- are there any sites you know of that are currently trying to accomplish this who should be mentioned, or some other method that would altogether be more successful?

change.org (http://www.change.org/) ?

Странник
November 11th, 2009, 08:44 AM
Fighting with global ignorance is really difficult.
I would love to join your following

rich97
November 11th, 2009, 09:00 AM
You can count me in too. If you need an extra hand with the site I might be able to free some up!

Странник
November 11th, 2009, 04:38 PM
And keep us updated on your progress, don't let this thread die

murderslastcrow
November 11th, 2009, 11:32 PM
I think I'll just put up the test pages here so you guys can actually visit them. They won't have any php built in yet, but they'll give you a basic idea of the sign up pages, idea summaries, full pages, and the blueprint page (basically the idea hall of fame with detailed plans from the forum discussions).

Coming relatively soon! XD Thanks for your patience, guys. I'm glad there are so many people willing to contribute.