PDA

View Full Version : So...

NoaHall
November 10th, 2009, 10:32 PM
I was thinking of making a distro based on the Giant Spaghetti Monster.
Any takers?

Chronon
November 10th, 2009, 10:33 PM
Go for it.

pwnst*r
November 10th, 2009, 10:36 PM
i'll take mine with some romano and parmesan, kthx.

JugglinPhil
Whats a Giant Spaghetti Monster?

NoaHall
Go for it.

Okay, to your point :) :

"Ubuntu Buddhist Edition" - Mention of the religion. Entire thread based upon the religion.
" Linux for Enlightened Beings" - implies all those who aren't buddhist are not enlightened. And also those which don't use the remix are also not enlightened.

Chronon
November 10th, 2009, 10:39 PM
Yes, and "Ubuntu -- Linux for Human Beings" would cast aspersions on anyone who doesn't use it as being non-human by your logic.

wojox
November 10th, 2009, 10:40 PM
The GSM is the genius behind the little-known Noodle Theory, which has been ruled "way cooler" than string theory by Papal decree. It is little-known because nobody actually knows anything about it.

NoaHall
November 10th, 2009, 10:40 PM
Yes, and "Ubuntu -- Linux for Human Beings" would cast aspersions on anyone who doesn't use it as being non-human by your logic.

Yes, indeed it would.

I don't want the thread deleted, not at all, simply moved to a different place in the forum.

skillllllz
November 10th, 2009, 10:42 PM

Well, its kinda true based on what everyone else uses. I'm not a Mac, and I'm certainly not a PC; I am a human, so Ubuntu all the way for me. Not sure what others who use other distros are though...

Chronon
November 10th, 2009, 10:45 PM
Yes, indeed it would.

I don't want the thread deleted, not at all, simply moved to a different place in the forum.

What about the thread announcing Masonux or other remixes?

Chronon
November 10th, 2009, 10:46 PM
Well, its kinda true based on what everyone else uses. I'm not a Mac, and I'm certainly not a PC; I am a human, so Ubuntu all the way for me. Not sure what others who use other distros are though...

I hope you see the logical fallacy there.

NoaHall
November 10th, 2009, 10:46 PM
What about the thread announcing Masonux or other distros?

It's not about religion :) The rules therefore don't apply to those threads - they complied to the rules.

skillllllz
November 10th, 2009, 10:48 PM
I hope you see the logical fallacy there.

hmmm...

from http://sarchasm.net/

sar·chasm ('sär-"ka-z&m) : The giant gulf (chasm) between what is said and the person who doesn't get it.

Chronon
November 10th, 2009, 10:50 PM
It's not about religion :) The rules therefore don't apply to those threads - they complied to the rules.

The only religious word is the word "Buddhist" -- enlightenment is not strictly a religious word at all. The topic is about a remix of Ubuntu, not a religion. You don't seem to understand the relationship there.

To get this discussion back on topic, does discussing the inclusion of an FSM wallpaper automatically make this topic contraband (in your opinion) as well?

(I understand this is entirely academic, since I am not a moderator and it's not my job to decide about matters like this.)

Chronon
November 10th, 2009, 10:51 PM
hmmm...

sar·chasm ('sär-"ka-z&m) : The giant gulf (chasm) between what is said and the person who doesn't get it.

Oh, now I see it. I guess it was pretty big, wasn't it? :D

NoaHall
The only religious word is the word "Buddhist" -- enlightenment is not strictly a religious word at all. The topic is about a remix of Ubuntu, not a religion. You don't seem to understand the relationship there.

It is if you take it in the context. You can't just take a word out of context.

I know it's about a remix, but it's BASED on a religion.

norm7446
What kind of Kernel will you use in it a Maize one or will you fully green with a Wholemeal One...

Shibblet
November 10th, 2009, 10:55 PM
hmmm...

I think the Buddhist, and Christian Ubuntu projects are developed by a third party. Obviously, this third party has a vested interest in the specific religion.

That being said, Canonical supports the Ubuntu kernel. Which means people who are using those remixes of the OS can get support on the Ubuntu forums.

And as Ubuntu users, members of the Ubuntu community, we have an obligation to help whomever, regardless of their personal beliefs.

If someone posts "Having issues with Beelze-buntu." Our first posting is not to be "Well, have you downloaded the Jesus fix?"

Now, having said all that, I don't understand why any specific religion "needs" their own distribution. There is nothing "religious" about Ubuntu, Kubuntu, or Xubuntu in the least. The only reason to "theme" a current distro is to make it "yours". A.K.A. Linux Mint

skillllllz
November 10th, 2009, 11:00 PM
I think the Buddhist, and Christian Ubuntu projects are developed by a third party. Obviously, this third party has a vested interest in the specific religion.

That being said, Canonical supports the Ubuntu kernel. Which means people who are using those remixes of the OS can get support on the Ubuntu forums.

<snip...>t

Um, was this a quote "fail!!!1"? or was that intentional?

I could care less what affiliation anything has with anything else, as long as it doesn't have any malicious intent behind it, I couldn't care less...

I'm guessing it was a "fail"

PS - FIX IT!
oh and have a nice day ;-)

Chronon
November 10th, 2009, 11:04 PM
It is if you take it in the context. You can't just take a word out of context.

I know it's about a remix, but it's BASED on a religion.

Yes, but that's meta. How meta does something have to get before it's allowed? Ultimately, all topics can be connected somehow. I had presumed that only discussions involving the specific topics of religion or politics were banned. A discussion about something that relates to religion or to politics (but isn't) would seem to be allowed. History is inextricably linked with politics as is law, yet both of those topics seem to be allowed for discussion here.

If you wish to push these restrictions beyond the first order then you end up restricting quite a lot, it seems. Your own name has a religious origin. ;)

Shibblet
November 10th, 2009, 11:04 PM
Um, was this a quote "fail!!!1"? or was that intentional?

I could care less what affiliation anything has with anything else, as long as it doesn't have any malicious intent behind it, I couldn't care less...

I'm guessing it was a "fail"

PS - FIX IT!
oh and have a nice day ;-)

Ummm.... huh?

Chronon
November 10th, 2009, 11:06 PM
I think because your post didn't appear to have much to do with the quote.

Mornedhel
November 10th, 2009, 11:11 PM
The GSM is the genius behind the little-known Noodle Theory, which has been ruled "way cooler" than string theory by Papal decree. It is little-known because nobody actually knows anything about it.

Pfff. Buncha unbelievers.

I'm a follower of the Invisible Pink Unicorn, myself. Blessed be Her holy hooves.

"Invisible Pink Unicorns are beings of great spiritual power. We know this because they are capable of being invisible and pink at the same time. Like all religions, the Faith of the Invisible Pink Unicorns is based upon both logic and faith. We have faith that they are pink; we logically know that they are invisible because we can't see them."

Shibblet
November 10th, 2009, 11:11 PM
I think because your post didn't appear to have much to do with the quote.

It was intended as sarcasm. That's why I quoted.

Beelze-buntu? Jesus Fix... really?

Well, back to comedy school for me. ;)

Chronon
November 10th, 2009, 11:15 PM

I'm a follower of the Invisible Pink Unicorn, myself. Blessed be Her holy hooves.

"Invisible Pink Unicorns are beings of great spiritual power. We know this because they are capable of being invisible and pink at the same time. Like all religions, the Faith of the Invisible Pink Unicorns is based upon both logic and faith. We have faith that they are pink; we logically know that they are invisible because we can't see them."

:lolflag:

However, this is what I would consider religious discussion, in contrast to seeking advice on how what sort of stitches to use on an Invisible Pink Unicorn flag I want to make, for example.

Chronon
November 10th, 2009, 11:15 PM
It was intended as sarcasm. That's why I quoted.

Beelze-buntu? Jesus Fix... really?

Well, back to comedy school for me. ;)

Huh. It seems there are sarchasms all over the place here. ):P

Shibblet
November 10th, 2009, 11:18 PM
Huh. It seems there are sarchasms all over the place here. ):P

Booo! :p

LOL... it would seem so though.

wojox
November 10th, 2009, 11:19 PM

I think I've found a new Higher Power.

Chronon
November 10th, 2009, 11:22 PM
You guys are being way too religious. How about discussing how to make an Invisible Pink Unicorn theme for KDE 4.3.2 instead?

Shibblet
November 10th, 2009, 11:24 PM
You guys are being way too religious. How about discussing how to make an Invisible Pink Unicorn theme for KDE 4.3.2 instead?

The "hell" you say! J/K

Why isn't there an open forum for religious discussions?

Chronon
November 10th, 2009, 11:25 PM
I guess with this many people the chance for all-out Holy Flame-War is too great.

juancarlospaco
November 10th, 2009, 11:27 PM
Please use DESCRIPTIVE TITLES !
:)

Shibblet
November 10th, 2009, 11:28 PM

You clicked on it. :p

xuCGC002
November 10th, 2009, 11:30 PM
Ubuntu Pastafarian Remix? Best idea ever.

skillllllz
November 10th, 2009, 11:34 PM

Yea, what he said. I thought this thread title was a phonetic play on the word "sew". I brought my yarn, needles, and everything. :-P

SunnyRabbiera
November 10th, 2009, 11:35 PM
I want a invisible pink unicorn distro too, oh and Cthulhu :D

Chronon
November 10th, 2009, 11:37 PM

You should totally do a remix with both. They could be super-best-friends, right?

skillllllz
November 10th, 2009, 11:38 PM

The appropriate name for that distro would be "ZOMFG!! WTF??"

Mornedhel
November 10th, 2009, 11:40 PM
The appropriate name for that distro would be "ZOMFG!! WTF??"

zomgbuntu ?

SunnyRabbiera
November 10th, 2009, 11:40 PM
You should totally do a remix with both. They could be super-best-friends, right?

Yes I could do a remix of both, but to be honest both the FSM, the IPU and Cthulhu all fail in comparison to the mighty power of Chuck Norris :D
Oh and the power of the trans dimensional porcupine :popcorn:

Barrucadu
November 10th, 2009, 11:41 PM

Ia! Cthulhu fhtagn!

Chronon
November 10th, 2009, 11:42 PM
Chuck Norris's tears can cure cancer.

It's too bad he has never cried.

fela
November 10th, 2009, 11:43 PM
Er......yeah whatever man! Like I know all about the giant spaghetti monster...

SunnyRabbiera
November 10th, 2009, 11:43 PM
Ia! Cthulhu fhtagn!

Just covering all my bases so I dont seem biased ;)
All hail the trans dimensional porcupine by the way :D :popcorn:

Chronon
November 10th, 2009, 11:46 PM
Don't think that being a Unitarian lets you peddle your religious views safely. Please discuss the remix, not the religion. ;)

pwnst*r
November 10th, 2009, 11:49 PM
you should totally do a remix with both. They could be super-best-friends, right?

lol, OMGBESTIES

SunnyRabbiera
November 10th, 2009, 11:53 PM
Don't think that being a Unitarian lets you peddle your religious views safely. Please discuss the remix, not the religion. ;)

But the trans dimensional porcupine is divine, it is time, it is space, it is spiny!
No other god out there has razor sharp quills and can breathe fire, oh and it can turn pink and light up, it can go "Ring, ring" and make a tree appear, it can also walk, talk, and sit around being mighty.
All hail the trans dimensional porcupine!

Barrucadu
November 10th, 2009, 11:59 PM
But the trans dimensional porcupine is divine, it is time, it is space, it is spiny!
No other god out there has razor sharp quills and can breathe fire, oh and it can turn pink and light up, it can go "Ring, ring" and make a tree appear, it can also walk, talk, and sit around being mighty.
All hail the trans dimensional porcupine!

Well, you've convinced me. Where do I sign away my immortal soul?

SunnyRabbiera
November 11th, 2009, 12:01 AM
Well, you've convinced me. Where do I sign away my immortal soul?

On a fortune cookie sized piece of paper, no bigger, no smaller.
It is the law of the trans dimensional porcupine :D

Barrucadu
November 11th, 2009, 12:16 AM
It is done! I await the spiny heaven I shall enter now after death.

fargle
November 11th, 2009, 12:46 AM
I'm interested! But you might not want to go too far until you realize it's the Flying Spaghetti Monster, not the Giant Spaghetti Monster.

drawkcab
November 11th, 2009, 12:51 AM
I will buy an extra computer just to have something to install it on.

what, what?
November 11th, 2009, 12:55 AM
Any takers?

the flying one?

http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/9662/flyingspaghettimonster.jpg

Ray()
November 11th, 2009, 01:29 AM
Definitely go for it, the ubuntu logo has been hidden in the flying spaghetti monster picture for all these years and nobody noticed!

http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/5439/spubuntu.png

what, what?
November 11th, 2009, 01:30 AM
Definitely go for it, the ubuntu logo has been hidden in the flying spaghetti monster picture for all these years and nobody noticed!

http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/5439/spubuntu.png

but the buddhist edition is for enlightened beings...

Ray()
November 11th, 2009, 01:35 AM
ok... so what should the slogan for this one then? linux for inhuman beings?

what, what?
November 11th, 2009, 01:37 AM

Something pasta related i guess

Shibblet
November 11th, 2009, 01:39 AM

Linux for Parmesan Cheese?
Linux for Agnostics?
SPU/Linux?

what, what?
November 11th, 2009, 01:47 AM
Linux for Italians.

pwnst*r
November 11th, 2009, 02:21 AM

not really, no.

pwnst*r
November 11th, 2009, 02:21 AM
Linux for Italians.

only Italians eat spaghetti? interesting. there's a LOT of Italians in this world.

sisco311
November 11th, 2009, 02:22 AM
Any takers?

is this a joke?

pwnst*r
November 11th, 2009, 02:24 AM
is this a joke?

why would it be?

sisco311
November 11th, 2009, 02:26 AM
why would it be?

i don't have better explanation.

Ex0suit
November 11th, 2009, 02:40 AM
i was thinking of making a distro based on the giant spaghetti monster.
Any takers?

bsd?

what, what?
November 11th, 2009, 02:57 AM
i MIGHT considering using it if it is made.

sisco311
November 11th, 2009, 03:03 AM
i MIGHT considering using it if it is made.

i'm still skeptic.

Skepticism is an approach to accepting, rejecting, or suspending judgment on new information that requires the new information to be well supported by argument or evidence.

source:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skepticism

pwnst*r
November 11th, 2009, 03:06 AM
i'm still skeptic.

source:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skepticism

you should go for a walk.

what, what?
November 11th, 2009, 03:08 AM

benj1
November 11th, 2009, 03:20 AM
is this gona turn into one of those bloody squirrel things again ?

what, what?
November 11th, 2009, 03:24 AM

bloody squirrel? What's that?

schauerlich
November 11th, 2009, 03:27 AM

This thread is now about squirrels.

http://imgur.com/ZNXCT.jpg

Frak
November 11th, 2009, 03:30 AM
This thread is now about squirrels.

http://imgur.com/ZNXCT.jpg
http://grab.by/rKJ

schauerlich
November 11th, 2009, 03:31 AM
http://grab.by/rKJ

http://imgur.com/CcLkX.jpg

Frak