PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Unable to reinstall apache2

mocka
November 10th, 2009, 09:36 PM
I did something horribly wrong just now; I removed the /etc/apache2 directory while the package already was installed (I thought it wasn't). Now I'm unable to neither uninstall, install nor reinstall the package. What should I do?

By the way: I am using Ubuntu Server 9.04.

This also made my Transmission WebGUI stop working.

quixote
November 12th, 2009, 12:21 AM
I think that directory will be recreated by fixing the package. If so, this should reconfigure it:
sudo dpkg --configure apache2

If not, you may need to reinstall apache2, which is probably easiest to do via synaptic or apt-get
sudo apt-get --reinstall apache2

There's lots of detail on both commands, as I'm sure you know if you're running the server version :), by entering "man dpkg" or "man apt-get" (without quotes) as commands in a terminal.

mocka
November 13th, 2009, 04:45 PM
I have tried to do as you say but the system think it as installed the package - although it hasn't (there is no apache2 directories created or whatsoever). Is my best bet to reinstall the whole system (I'd rather not)?

quixote
November 13th, 2009, 11:06 PM
No, you shouldn't have to do a clean install just to get apache2 back.

Both apt-get and dpkg have "purge" options, which throws out every last bit of a package, including config files. dpkg has various "force" options as well which you have to know what you're doing to use. I don't, so I never have, but the command "man dpkg" describes it all. Not in a way that made me confident enough to use it, but still, it's there.

Hopefully, somebody who actually knows how to do this will jump in. My guess would be:
sudo apt-get purge apache2
And then reinstall via synaptic, or "sudo apt-get install apache2".

mocka
November 13th, 2009, 11:20 PM
I agree, that sounds unreasonable. Although I have also tried "sudo apt-get --purge remove apache2" it hasn't helped at all. I'm tired of it all so I'll finish a script that installs all my packages and reinstall the whole ubuntu. Thank you for the help anyway.

EDIT: I made it.

For those interested or anyone who stumbles upon this thread with the same problem, this is how:

sudo apt-get remove --purge apache2.2-common
sudo apt-get clean
sudo apt-get install apache2

Thanks to the participants in this thread:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=471003