PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] White Screen of Death

dealcorn
November 10th, 2009, 08:23 PM
Upon a fresh jaunty install caused by an emergency motherboard replacement, login looks good and I get good sound after entering my password but I am dumped to an unresponsive white screen with nowhere to go. Karmic install works great but there are unrelated application issues.

The m/b has an Intel G41 chipset (ESC Elitegroup G-41T-M) and while locally available was not my preferred choice. ALT F2 does nothing. How should I proceed?

dealcorn
November 11th, 2009, 08:38 AM
the command:

sudo aptitude safe-upgrade

fixed much of the problem. Now I boot to a command line from which I currently execute startx and then some combination of ALT F2 a couple times with other wild guesses gets me to a display I can work with.

What is the actual correct command to bring up the desktop? Where should I look for guidance on how to correct my configuration?

MichealH
November 11th, 2009, 08:41 AM
CTRL-ALT-F7

LOL the BSOD has a Linux brother the WSOD

dealcorn
November 11th, 2009, 03:50 PM
With the benefit of hindsight and a fresh install, the exact steps required to eliminate my white screen problem from the recovery boot console are:

sudo aptitude update
sudo aptitude safe-upgrade

Then, select the "try to fix graphics drivers" option within the recovery boot option. For me these 3 steps appear to be a complete fix. Aptitude requires Internet access so you may also need to configure your wireless adapter.

fela
November 11th, 2009, 03:58 PM
CTRL-ALT-F7

LOL the BSOD has a Linux brother the WSOD

Except the WSOD is easily fixable by going to a tty and killing the rogue application (e.g. compiz). A bsod in Windows requires a restart, hosing all your unsaved data. Just a thought.