PDA

View Full Version : Would Ubuntu 9.10 be easy for my mom to use?

McMichael96
November 10th, 2009, 08:22 PM
My mom has a old Dell with 786 MB RAM and a 2200 MHZ Processor and 256 Video card. Will Ubuntu 9.10 work good on this and is it easy to use(for my mom) i am a teen so my mom is not old or anything. My mom uses Microsoft Office but i know that Ubuntu comes with OpenOffice.org so that would be awesome! So would you recommend it for a mom? I know it is easy for me to use even that i got great computer knowledge. Thanks for any help! :D

samh785
November 10th, 2009, 08:26 PM
My mom has a old Dell with 786 MB RAM and a 2200 MHZ Processor and 256 Video card. Will Ubuntu 9.10 work good on this and is it easy to use(for my mom) i am a teen so my mom is not old or anything. My mom uses Microsoft Office but i know that Ubuntu comes with OpenOffice.org so that would be awesome! So would you recommend it for a mom? I know it is easy for me to use even that i got great computer knowledge. Thanks for any help! :D
My mom uses 9.04, and she's basically computer illiterate. Just use a live cd/usb and let her try it out for a bit and see if she's comfortable with it. Mine was, and she's been using it for around a month now. :D

yesitsme
November 10th, 2009, 08:26 PM
you should let her just try openoffice on her windows first even though i think openoffice is better on linux and stuff :| i dunno though........... also i guess it matters what she does in openoffice cause when i made my mum use it for work it couldnt do some stupid thing that i dont remember and she had to use windows again :(
also let her try a live ubuntu maybe

XubuRoxMySox
November 10th, 2009, 08:30 PM
She might like Xubuntu better. It's certainly prettier than the default Ubuntu, and I think for newbies it's a little easier transition from Windows than Ubuntu. It'll fly on that machine!

-Robin

Странник
November 10th, 2009, 09:06 PM
My mom loves Ubuntu.
But yes try Xubuntu

vagrantrooper
November 10th, 2009, 09:27 PM
Dad uses Kubuntu and knows virtually nothing about computers.

McMichael96
November 10th, 2009, 09:46 PM
Thank to you all! :D I will probably dual boot with XP just in case. By the way can my mom's computer run Compiz Fusion? I thank she would love the "eye candy". And i will also have to try Kubuntu and Xubuntu. I already use Ubuntu so i know what that is like!

plurworldinc
November 10th, 2009, 09:48 PM
Well here is a fun way to look at if you should give you mom Ubuntu or not. Last month I was faced with the same question but my mother wanted to install Ubuntu on her new machine that was running Vista. At first I was really on the fence about converting her, because or random hardware and software issues I had in the past with Ubuntu ( which I must say is getting better with every new distro).

In the end my mother converted to Ubuntu for two main reasons, I myself and a good number of my friends use Ubuntu as or primary system or dual boot them with XP (not Vista) when it came to helping my mother with any of her computer problems if its something that happens with Windows I may not be able to help because I have been use to the Ubuntu and I can help.

The second reason was just a stroke of bad luck, with in 20 min of plugging her new laptop onto the web for updates she got some weird malware/spyware virus that made her new laptop a nightmare for the rest of the evening.

So my advice would be let her test out the LiveCD, dual boot if you have enough space for she can really see what Ubuntu can do for her. Explain it is not Windows and in the end it can help her save money in the long run...

One more fun thing to do is, when I installed Ubuntu on top my mothers system she began doing a little research on her own for fun and the last time I saw her she was dual booting Ubuntu and MoonOS because she loved the feel and look of the OS.

GOOD LUCK !!!!):P

McMichael96
November 11th, 2009, 04:59 PM
Thanks! My mom now uses Ubuntu 9.10 (she likes that one) but her internet is not working(she uses wusb100) but i am fixing it! It goes way faster then Windows XP on her computer! :D THANKS TO YOU ALL! :D