PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Grub not installing?

ojdon
November 10th, 2009, 07:34 PM
Hey there, I'm currently on Windows 7 (home Premium 64-bit), which is on my main SATA Hard Disk. But I need to install ubuntu on my IDE Hard Drisk. So I downloaded the latest 64-bit version of Ubuntu (9.10) today and the installation process goes well up until 94% when I get a message saying that Grub cannot be installed, I've tryed installing with/without going through the process of testing it on the CD first as well.

So I restarted my computer without the disc in to see what error message I get from GRUB and here is what I get:

GRUB loading.
error: no such disk
grub rescue>

Anyone know what the problem is here?

MichealH
November 10th, 2009, 07:40 PM
Well you said Grub wouldn't install so obviously it is half-done could you please reinstall and see what happens.

ojdon
November 10th, 2009, 07:42 PM
Already have, same issue. exactly at 94% again.

MichealH
November 10th, 2009, 07:50 PM
Can you boot the live CD?

ojdon
November 10th, 2009, 08:00 PM
Yeah, I've installed it through booting Ubuntu off the disc and just directly installing it. Still no luck.

MichealH
November 10th, 2009, 08:06 PM
Ok then when you goto your live CD DO NOT INSTALL instead goto terminal and type in

sudo apt-get install grub-pc

MichealH
November 10th, 2009, 08:17 PM
if that doesnt work try:

sudo apt-set upgrade grub2

ojdon
November 10th, 2009, 08:27 PM
I've tried it but for both I get the result of:

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state inforrmation... Done
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

dhavalbbhatt
November 10th, 2009, 08:53 PM
Try re-installing using the alternate installation CD. You can download that from Ubuntu website. I know there are a few issues with desktop installation CD. With the alternate installation CD, you will not have a GUI installater, but it will do the job of installing Ubuntu on your machine.

ojdon
November 10th, 2009, 08:58 PM
I'll try that if the worst comes to the worst, or however the saying goes. I don't suppose GRUb is getting confused since I have Windows installed on a SATA hard drive while I have Ubuntu installed on a IDE hard drive?

ojdon
November 10th, 2009, 09:32 PM
BUMP before this gets on the next page. Anyone else have another suggestion for a possible solution?

ojdon
November 10th, 2009, 10:50 PM
Sorry for another post but is there a way of removing GRUB through ubuntu/terminal?

I need to reburn the CD I think it says that there are two files missing just before installing/testing on the CD but I can't catch what files are missing.