PDA

View Full Version : Editor for preparing forum posts?

QwUo173Hy
November 10th, 2009, 07:25 PM
When I make a lengthy post, I usually type it up in gedit first. But I've found that I can spend up to twenty minutes adjusting the formatting on the forum and re-checking the post preview.

Is there an editor I can use offline that will do this for me? A WYSIWYG editor would be great but anything that performs the forums preview-post functionality would be great. It would mean I could edit fullscreen also, instead of in a window.

Thanks!
Jarlath

schauerlich
November 10th, 2009, 07:28 PM
vBulletin has a built in WYSIWYG editor.

RiceMonster
November 10th, 2009, 07:55 PM
There's web apps called "New Reply" and "New Thread". Check them out.

QwUo173Hy
November 10th, 2009, 07:57 PM
Hi EDavidBurg. It looks like that costs about €80 so I'll skip it.

Tibuda
November 10th, 2009, 08:02 PM

Yeah, but ubuntuforums already pays it. See the forum footer.

schauerlich
November 10th, 2009, 09:03 PM

On this site, go to User CP > Edit Options > Miscellaneous Options > Enhanced Interface.

Bodsda
November 10th, 2009, 09:10 PM
On this site, go to User CP > Edit Options > Miscellaneous Options > Enhanced Interface.

I still don't see how this helps me write up a post that I can save and work on later. Which is probably the reason the OP writes it up in gedit first

Unless I am missing a save button that's glaring me in the face?

schauerlich
November 10th, 2009, 09:21 PM
I still don't see how this helps me write up a post that I can save and work on later. Which is probably the reason the OP writes it up in gedit first

Well, I don't think a WYSIWYG, offline BBCode editor with preview functionality exists. That's the next best thing.

PS, your user title doesn't work. You're assigning succeed to the output of Try(), which will return 1. You then ! it, which means it won't run.

Bodsda
November 10th, 2009, 09:25 PM
PS, your user title doesn't work. You're assigning succeed to the output of Try(), which will return 1. You then ! it, which means it won't run.

The title is a reference to this (http://www.thinkgeek.com/tshirts-apparel/unisex/itdepartment/9a0e/)

schauerlich
November 10th, 2009, 09:35 PM
The title is a reference to this (http://www.thinkgeek.com/tshirts-apparel/unisex/itdepartment/9a0e/)

It's still wrong. :)

Hyporeal
November 10th, 2009, 10:05 PM

What language are you assuming? I believe the code works in C and Java, given an appropriate context.

Bodsda
November 10th, 2009, 10:30 PM
Well, he is also assuming that I am using default exit codes, which I may not be

QwUo173Hy
November 10th, 2009, 11:16 PM

Actually, both posts are helpful. I've enabled the enhanced editor which will definitely speed things up significantly. Thanks so much for tipping me off to that. I'd never have found it myself.

But Bodsda is right, my ultimate fantasy is an offline editor where I can just log in and paste in my tutorial.

vBulletin require me to be a member to access their download site. But I still don't see how my membership here can entitle me to a free download? I'm not a moderator or anything.

schauerlich
November 10th, 2009, 11:34 PM
vBulletin require me to be a member to access their download site. But I still don't see how my membership here can entitle me to a free download? I'm not a moderator or anything.

You're using vBulletin right now. You don't need to download anything.