PDA

View Full Version : I cannot stand the sesame street themes of google.

wulfgang
November 10th, 2009, 06:58 PM
It is starting to ruin google for me.:mad: How long have they been doing the sesame street theme now. 3 days? I'm really going to be pissed if they show sessame street on veteran's day.
I'm using bing until this sesame madness is over.

ElSlunko
November 10th, 2009, 06:59 PM
About a week I think. Perhaps the devs were big fans when they were young.

maflynn
November 10th, 2009, 07:02 PM
Coming from a ubuntu user which theme uses turd brown as its main color :D

Seriously, its a nice shout out to sesame street's 40th anniversary. It should be over today since this is the actual day.

If you don't like it, use bing, or use the google search bar in most browsers.

kellemes
November 10th, 2009, 07:05 PM
I think it's great, I hope they keep using it for ever.

ElSlunko
November 10th, 2009, 07:05 PM
Isn't Veteran's day tomorrow?

BatsotO
November 10th, 2009, 07:06 PM
haven't notice it till you mention it. I use google search bar, so i skip those sasame thingy..

RiceMonster
November 10th, 2009, 07:09 PM
Such anger over a children's show. Calm down.

Joe Ker1086
November 10th, 2009, 07:13 PM
iGoogle is a beautiful thing. http://www.google.com/ig?hl=en

steev182
November 10th, 2009, 07:35 PM
As long as tomorrow has Big Bird in full army kit, it'll be ok...

No, but seriously, I hope they just replace an 'o' with a poppy for tomorrow rather than a Sesame Street character. I have to admit, I did enjoy seeing the Sesame Street characters on Google today :)

subdivision
November 10th, 2009, 07:36 PM
It is starting to ruin google for me.:mad: How long have they been doing the sesame street theme now. 3 days? I'm really going to be pissed if they show sessame street on veteran's day.

Pictures of characters from a childrens show are making you angry? Really?

catco_designs
November 10th, 2009, 07:40 PM
I su the search bar in the browser so I rarely see the actual page. But I like Sesame Street but think they should put grover and big bird in Camo for Veterans Day.

blueshiftoverwatch
November 10th, 2009, 07:45 PM
Seriously, its a nice shout out to sesame street's 40th anniversary. It should be over today since this is the actual day.
The 4th of July gets one day while Seseme Street gets an entire week...

subdivision
November 10th, 2009, 07:47 PM

Seriously: Who cares? I'm not being snide here, I really want to know why this is important.

yesitsme
November 10th, 2009, 07:56 PM
Seriously: Who cares?

Two posts in this thread already, I think it's evident that this is a big issue for you, time. I recall you had a thing for Elmo?

BatsotO
November 10th, 2009, 08:03 PM
As long as it is not teletubies.

spoons
November 10th, 2009, 08:29 PM
I'm using Bing and rebelling against the man.

subdivision
November 10th, 2009, 08:30 PM
I'm using Bing and rebelling against the man.

:p

PuddingKnife
November 10th, 2009, 08:30 PM
/shrug

Its really not affecting my day in the way that it's affecting the OP. Maybe I'm just weird though ):P

Megrimn
November 10th, 2009, 08:37 PM

I know, right?! It was even worse during the '08 Olympics when they had a different event in the logo EVERY DAY! IT WAS THE WORST THING EVER!!!! :( :( :(

seriously, get a grip dude. It's still their search engine, and they've been changing the logo since the beginning. It's a tradition.

yesitsme
November 10th, 2009, 08:39 PM
Admit it, you have a thing for Elmo.

RiceMonster
November 10th, 2009, 08:40 PM
How could you even get mad about Sesame Street in the first place? I mean, it has some of the best characters ever like Cookie Monster and the Two Headed Monster.

subdivision
November 10th, 2009, 08:40 PM
How could you even get mad about Sesame Street in the first place? I mean, it has some of the best characters ever like Cookie Monster and the Two Headed Monster.

Don't forget the Count!

RiceMonster
November 10th, 2009, 08:41 PM
Don't forget the Count!

Hell yeah, and Snufalufagus.

subdivision
November 10th, 2009, 08:44 PM
Hell yeah, and Snufalufagus.

I forgot about Sunfalufagus. :)

yesitsme
November 10th, 2009, 08:49 PM
I forgot about Sunfalufagus. :)
Yeah right, I bet you think about him in your sleep!

Ms_Angel_D
November 10th, 2009, 08:53 PM

Umm, how many hours a day do you spend staring at the google home page?

gjoellee
November 10th, 2009, 08:55 PM
I think the logos are cool, take a look at this one:

yesitsme
November 10th, 2009, 08:56 PM
Umm, how many hours a day do you spend staring at the google home page?
24.1 on a good day.;)

spoons
November 10th, 2009, 09:08 PM

Stop stepping on my freedoms, maaan.

Shibblet
November 10th, 2009, 09:22 PM
Was your father killed by a Muppet or something?

ve4cib
November 10th, 2009, 09:28 PM

A few issues with that...

1- The 4th of July is, strictly-speaking, an American event. Sesame Street is watched globally.

2- The 4th of July (or 1st of July, <or insert nation-specific holdiay here>) gets its notice every year. The 40th anniversary of anything only ever happens once. I wouldn't be surprised if next year Sesame Street doesn't get a Google titlebar at all.

3- Which is really more important? Celebrating a bunch of old dudes who revolted against their lawful (if tyrannical) British overlords, or Super-Grover? Think carefully about that. :P

Joe Ker1086
November 10th, 2009, 09:29 PM
Was your father killed by a Muppet or something?

Lets get it strait, Muppets are Jim Henson not sesame street :D

Deicider
November 10th, 2009, 09:29 PM
i'l have to agree with OP.
it sucks big time,even when i was a kid it was soo ****** lame.
I just hate it.
but hey, can use the Ubuntu-Google page,u know,the one have by default when u install buntu.

Joe Ker1086
November 10th, 2009, 09:32 PM
TIRTY FIVE, THIRTY FIVE Messages posted Ah! Ah! Ah!

Chronon
November 10th, 2009, 09:36 PM

Jim Henson created the characters on Sesame Street too. Also, remember that Kermit used to be a reporter?

NightHawk877
November 10th, 2009, 09:44 PM
Today's post has been brought to you by the letter U. I miss Sesame Street. Cookie Monster was and is still my favorite as I have an insatiable sweet tooth. Anyone have some deep-fried Twinkies?

SuperSonic4
November 10th, 2009, 09:48 PM
A few issues with that...

1- The 4th of July is, strictly-speaking, an American event. Sesame Street is watched globally.

2- The 4th of July (or 1st of July, <or insert nation-specific holdiay here>) gets its notice every year. The 40th anniversary of anything only ever happens once. I wouldn't be surprised if next year Sesame Street doesn't get a Google titlebar at all.

3- Which is really more important? Celebrating a bunch of old dudes who revolted against their lawful (if tyrannical) British overlords, or Super-Grover? Think carefully about that. :P

Be careful what you say about Americans. I got an infraction for daring to be uncharitable (yet accurate) towards Americans.

But I digress, I'm just glad we had Wallace and Gromit on the first day.

Edit

RE: Point 2: The Fall of the Berlin Wall is of infinite more importance and that happened 20 years ago yesterday

RiceMonster
November 10th, 2009, 09:53 PM
RE: Point 2: The Fall of the Berlin Wall is of infinite more importance and that happened 20 years ago yesterday

True. Did they have something for that on googe.de?

Shibblet
November 10th, 2009, 09:54 PM

One of the major highlights of Jim Henson's career is his "DEVELOPMENT" of characters, or Muppets on Sesame Street.

Why is Kermit the Frog on Sesame Street? Ever heard Ernie's original voice? Jim Henson. Ever heard Bert's original voice? Frank Oz.

Let's get it straight!

Henson is my hero. Read about him, and you'll see why.

wulfgang
November 10th, 2009, 09:59 PM
Holy cow. 41 posts. :)

Joe Ker1086
November 10th, 2009, 10:00 PM
Yes Wulfgang look what you have started haha

Joe Ker1086
November 10th, 2009, 10:01 PM
One of the major highlights of Jim Henson's career is his "DEVELOPMENT" of characters, or Muppets on Sesame Street.

Why is Kermit the Frog on Sesame Street? Ever heard Ernie's original voice? Jim Henson. Ever heard Bert's original voice? Frank Oz.

Let's get it straight!

Henson is my hero. Read about him, and you'll see why.

I stand corrected

ve4cib
November 10th, 2009, 10:04 PM

"Importance" is entirely subjective. I don't deny that the fall of the Berlin Wall was a major event in world history, and I agree that it's probably more "important" than Sesame Street.

But I can easily see how someone could place Sesame Street on the same level of importance, albeit in a different arena. Sesame Street represents a major milestone in popular culture, and provides one of the relatively few multi-generational pop-culture reference points in society. Almost everyone can relate on a personal level to Sesame Street. Comparably few people can relate personally to a wall being torn down in Germany.

Some might argue that it's more important to be easily relatable to the largest number of people. Others (like ourselves) might argue that a major socio-political event of the 20th Century is more important than a pop-culture icon. And none of us is wrong; just different.

Tristam Green
November 10th, 2009, 10:04 PM

lol

OP, you made me laugh. Thanks for that.

Shibblet
November 10th, 2009, 10:05 PM
It could be more obscure. Sometimes you have no idea what Google is "honoring".

Like this...
http://www.katesmithdesigns.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/google-copy.jpg

Now that's a 40th Anniversary of some book that is WAY more obscure than Sesame Street.

wilee-nilee
November 10th, 2009, 10:08 PM
It's not easy being green now is it.

wulfgang
November 10th, 2009, 10:09 PM
Yes Wulfgang look what you have started haha

I did not realize I was about to offend so many hard-core sesame street fans. Lol :)

Tristam Green
November 10th, 2009, 10:11 PM

Like this...
http://www.katesmithdesigns.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/google-copy.jpg

Now that's a 40th Anniversary of some book that is WAY more obscure than Sesame Street.

You must be joking. Eric Carle and his books are as integral to childhood as Sesame Street.

Barrucadu
November 10th, 2009, 10:12 PM
You didn't read that as a child? Wow. We acted it out at my school!

Chronon
November 10th, 2009, 10:14 PM
You must be joking. Eric Carle and his books are as integral to childhood as Sesame Street.

I agree.

thegreenblob
November 10th, 2009, 10:17 PM
You didn't read that as a child? Wow. We acted it out at my school!

We did at my school too, in the 1st grade. I was two of the caterpillars legs. :lolflag:

Shibblet
November 10th, 2009, 10:36 PM

Maybe the OP could agree that some things are more important to the individual than others.

If I did ever read that book, I don't recall a bit of it. ;)

DarkKitsune
November 10th, 2009, 10:38 PM
What's the real problem with the theme? It's not like it changes how Google functions or anything...it's just a logo, it changes all the time for silly days. Why is now any different?

Shibblet
November 10th, 2009, 10:41 PM
What's the real problem with the theme? It's not like it changes how Google functions or anything...it's just a logo, it changes all the time for silly days. Why is now any different?

It's not. The OP is just afraid that the Count is going to suck his blood. ;) J/K

wulfgang
November 10th, 2009, 10:52 PM
Because It has been up for a week.

Shibblet
November 10th, 2009, 10:59 PM
Because It has been up for a week.

LOL. Wait until Christmas. They'll probably do a 12 days of christmas thing. First day would be a partridge in a pear tree, second day, turtle doves, etc.

wulfgang
November 10th, 2009, 11:03 PM
well at least it is not a man dressed up in a bird suit. ;)

Shibblet
November 10th, 2009, 11:07 PM
What bird?

http://www.nefariousyeti.com/wp-content/uploads/Adiarra/2008/06/a_big_bird_thanksgiving.jpg

coldReactive
November 10th, 2009, 11:13 PM
Get this if you dislike it:

http://userstyles.org/styles/1693

I did.

wulfgang
November 10th, 2009, 11:22 PM
What bird?

http://www.nefariousyeti.com/wp-content/uploads/Adiarra/2008/06/a_big_bird_thanksgiving.jpg

I believe that will be my new wallpaper. :)
thanks!

misfitpierce
November 10th, 2009, 11:26 PM
I am not a fan of sesame street either and think the anniversary thing should be done already. I mean it has been days and I get the whole anniversary thing already. Wish they would take it off. Its not ruining Google for me but it is tacky and I hate the look of the sesame street ones :P

xuCGC002
November 10th, 2009, 11:32 PM
Do you really care? Honestly? Save yourself from Bing and use this: http://collin.comxa.com/googlelite.html

fela
November 10th, 2009, 11:36 PM
Seriously? I actually quite like the sesame street themes. I would never opt for bing as google works for me and I don't support Microsoft due to its business practices of the nineties.

wulfgang
November 10th, 2009, 11:41 PM
Thanks coldReactive.
Google looks a million times better now. :)

wulfgang
November 10th, 2009, 11:42 PM
http://i33.tinypic.com/sm9hq8.png

coldReactive
November 10th, 2009, 11:47 PM
Thanks coldReactive.
Google looks a million times better now. :)

Since you also have a dark theme to your browser:

http://userstyles.org/styles/16677

I suggest borderless. (Yes, you have to install all 6 of them)

fela
November 10th, 2009, 11:49 PM
what IS the big deal with this...you use a browser to search the web, not to stare at its logo for crying out loud!

wulfgang
November 10th, 2009, 11:51 PM
Thanks again, coldReactive.
Now the ubuntu forums look a million times better.

The Funkbomb
November 10th, 2009, 11:53 PM
I usually just see that logo has changed and then go about my business.

wulfgang
November 11th, 2009, 12:04 AM
Wow, this thread is becoming indexed by google on various sesame street searches.