PDA

View Full Version : Epic home theater project. Help please.

Cam42
November 10th, 2009, 06:32 PM
So, as I'm moving to a completely new state here in a few weeks, and a new house (duh), me and my dad are definitely going to create a home theater room, which seems to be quite popular in Denver (where we're moving to)
a lot of questions. First few are about the TV, and the rest are about the htpc we're setting up.
TV:

We're looking for a TV around 50", and that's all we know. We've seen a few models from Samsung that we liked, but what other brands out there are good/not too expensive?
Plasma? LCD? What type of TV should we go for? ups and downs of both types?

HTPC: I've been looking at Engadget's guide here How-to: Build a Blu-ray / TV tuner-equipped HTPC for under $1,000 (http://www.engadget.com/2009/07/21/how-to-build-a-blu-ray-tv-tuner-equipped-htpc-for-under-1-00/) although it's pretty old, and a lot of things have changed since then. What I'd like to know is

I've been looking at TUAW's guide here TUAW Guide: Setting up the Ultimate Mac mini Home Theater (http://www.tuaw.com/2009/08/21/tuaw-guide-setting-up-the-ultimate-mac-mini-home-theater/) on the Mac mini home theater pc, how would that compare to Engadget's htpc, price/specs wise.
If I went the Mac mini route, I'd be upgrading the hard drive, with a less expensive upgrade than the one from the apple store. I found one on newegg for just under a hundred. Does replacing the mini's hard drive void any sort of warranty?
Does the mini come with iLife discs? I'd definitely want to keep iLife, and with the upgraded drive, how would that work? Could I do a Time Machine restore?
How would I connect the mini to the TV? Preferably via HDMI...

I'll post more questions as I think of them.

Barrucadu
November 10th, 2009, 06:40 PM
Instead of a TV, have you considered a projector and a screen? That is what my dad uses for his home theatre system and, whilst not as good quality visually as a TV, the viewing experience is far better.

Cam42
November 10th, 2009, 06:58 PM
Yeah, you'd get more viewing space, for less cash, right?

LowSky
November 10th, 2009, 07:01 PM
Get an LCD TV, get the model that you like and is priced in your spending limit. Little known fact is that most of the LCD's in those TV are all made by by the same 3 manufacturers, so there just competing on name and price. Somehow Samsung is the new popular choice, but others like Sharp, Sony and others are just as good.

Don't use a Mac Mini for a HTPC, you will regret it. they are great for people who have a server storage backup or using it for moving around.
Build your own machine, It will be faster and have more storage than a Mac Mini can support.

Linux will be an issue if you want blu-ray, from what I've read it doesn't work so well. Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium will probably be a better choice. Windows Media Center isn't that bad on Win7, and its easier to set up over MythTV.

A good thing to give notice about is recording TV, especiallly premium cable, its nearly impossible, and very expensive if you do. ATI makes an option but you need to buy a PC that is compliant from Dell or HP or another vendor who is supplying them. Otherwise your stuck with what ever is availible over the air, availible over QAM, or using a PVR that has HDMI or Component input.

Get at least 2TB of storage if you can, I have 1TB and I'm running out quickly from recording TV shows. Get at least 4TB if you are going to make it into a media server with copies of your DVDs and music on demand.

LowSky
November 10th, 2009, 07:04 PM
Yeah, you'd get more viewing space, for less cash, right?

maybe, they do make 1080P projectors, and they can cost well over $2000, they also dont have the same contrast rates, and you need a dark room for viewing

pwnst*r
November 10th, 2009, 07:11 PM
will it be a multipurpose room or theater only?

Cam42
November 10th, 2009, 07:12 PM
Don't use a Mac Mini for a HTPC, you will regret it. they are great for people who have a server storage backup or using it for moving around.
Build your own machine, It will be faster and have more storage than a Mac Mini can support.
I do have a server, I just need some hard drives to put in it. I'll probably be picking up an external drive as well, as the mini has something like five USB ports, if I do go with the mini. But I do see what you're saying, as the mini can only take laptop drives, and laptop drives to to five hundred GB. Max, right?

Cam42
November 10th, 2009, 07:12 PM
will it be a multipurpose room or theater only?
Probably theater only, but I'm hoping to have the htpc as a usable computer as well.

Hated On Mostly
November 10th, 2009, 07:16 PM
Forget about building a HTPC. Much more expensive, larger, noisier, and harder to use than one of these:

WD TV Live

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/index.asp?cat=30
http://www.wdc.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=735

Seagate FreeAgent Theater+

http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/products/home_entertainment/
http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/products/home_entertainment/freeagent_theater_plus/

Home theater/home media made easy and inexpensive.

Cam42
November 10th, 2009, 07:22 PM
Yeah, no. I stated in my last post that I want to actually be able to use the internet/use it as a regular computer. Thus, htpc.

CharlesA
November 10th, 2009, 07:24 PM
I'm working on something similar: Setting up an HTPC for use with a 40" HDTV. I've tried Mythbuntu but haven't been able to figure out how to stream my dvds from over the network.

Have you thought about the case/innards of the PC yet?

Cam42
November 10th, 2009, 07:26 PM
Yeah, Like I said, I'm debating Engadget's HTPC, or TUAW's Mac mini as an HTPC

CharlesA
November 10th, 2009, 07:31 PM
That case in that Engadget guide looks nice. I think I just found a case for my HTPC.

blur xc
November 10th, 2009, 07:37 PM
Just a quick question- What advantage does a htpc have over say, getting an normal cable service like Verizon Fios, a decent blu-ray player, and a surround sound system? I imagine even w/ a htpc, you'd need some kind of surround sound receiver anyway.

I admit, it would be a fun project, I just don't see the practicality of it.

BM

CharlesA
November 10th, 2009, 07:42 PM
I'd be using it to stream movies over the network instead of having to find the dvd. :p

That and watching Hulu or a streaming HD movie on a 50" screen is epic.

Cam42
November 10th, 2009, 07:44 PM
Probably should've mentioned that I'll be using boxee as well...

pwnst*r
November 10th, 2009, 07:45 PM
dedicated? i'd go with a projector/screen. you will NOT regret it. with proper lighting, it's fantastic.

Cam42
November 10th, 2009, 07:53 PM
dedicated? i'd go with a projector/screen. you will NOT regret it. with proper lighting, it's fantastic.
How would that be if I wanted to use the htpc as a computer for internet and such? How does the projector work then? I would have to dim the lights to get it to look right, right?

pwnst*r
November 10th, 2009, 08:22 PM
How would that be if I wanted to use the htpc as a computer for internet and such? How does the projector work then? I would have to dim the lights to get it to look right, right?

well you said dedicated so... yes, you would have to dim the lights or at least darken the room (blinds/shades/curtains)

clancymf
November 10th, 2009, 08:59 PM
You should check out http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/

They have forums for:
- mac, windows, linux htpcs with recommended build components
- Projects under $3000
- Theather build threads, where you can review others peoples builds and their do and donts
- TVs
- Stereo equipment

It goes on and on... should be very helpful.

I personally built a silent htpc, that serves as my main computer, media streamer, karaoke machine (XBMC), linux hulu, the list goes on and on. Highly recommend building your own

CharlesA
November 11th, 2009, 06:14 AM
Just wanted to thank the OP. I finally got around to finishing up my HTPC.

I was missing the case and the other one I liked had some "features" that I didn't really like.

The nMEDIAPC HTPC 2000B was just what I was looking for (and it was cheap!)

amazingtaters
November 11th, 2009, 06:28 AM
Completely off topic, but my condolences on moving to Denver. It's going to be tough putting up with all of those Broncos fans.

CharlesA
November 11th, 2009, 06:44 AM
At least they aren't as bad as Raiders fans. :p

Cam42
November 12th, 2009, 01:53 AM
Completely off topic, but my condolences on moving to Denver. It's going to be tough putting up with all of those Broncos fans.
At least those aren't as bad as the Avalanche. Ack.