PDA

View Full Version : does windows rely on the hdd

redfoxkt
November 10th, 2009, 03:10 PM
hello i dont really know where i should be posting this thread so im hoping here is ok. im dual booting windows and ubuntu and i have a lot a linux live CDs and im thinking my hard drive is dying. now my question is does windows rely on the harddrive, or no cause when i boot into windows it gives me problems a lot like it wont load explorer.exe or it just freezes and wont open programs or shut down...but at the same time i can boot into ubuntu ( also stored on my hardrive) and have no problems...no freezes, nothing. so I.E. is linux ran in the ram or somthing ? or is it just that linux is that much better than microsoft every day ?

Small_Nuke
November 10th, 2009, 03:43 PM
hello i dont really know where i should be posting this thread so im hoping here is ok. im dual booting windows and ubuntu and i have a lot a linux live CDs and im thinking my hard drive is dying. now my question is does windows rely on the harddrive, or no cause when i boot into windows it gives me problems a lot like it wont load explorer.exe or it just freezes and wont open programs or shut down...but at the same time i can boot into ubuntu ( also stored on my hardrive) and have no problems...no freezes, nothing. so I.E. is linux ran in the ram or somthing ? or is it just that linux is that much better than microsoft every day ?

It sounds like your Windows has a virus or the registry got messed up somehow. It doesn't sound like your HDD is dieing just yet because you would probably notice problems on both Win and Lin.

The only fix for your problem would be to reformat and install Windows clean on the HDD and see how it's running. There's also some free programs out there that can use the data that your HDD stores to tell if it's dieing.

Windows does like to access the HDD a lot more than Linux, but Linux also needs to read the HDD into RAM before you can use it. If the HDD is failing then it's probably having problems when being read constantly like Windows likes to do all the time.

The Funkbomb
November 10th, 2009, 03:46 PM
Most likely something got corrupted in Windows. Either malware or user error. It happens. A lot.

Fresh install is the best bet but you might be able to save it using a program like malwarebytes.

SunnyRabbiera
November 10th, 2009, 03:51 PM
Yeh its not the hard drive its windows.
You can tell because if it was the hard drive neither would boot/ login/ whatever.

redfoxkt
November 10th, 2009, 03:51 PM
ok thx for the hlp both of u...and yeah i just recently reinstalled windows and im using Zonealarm for protection...im more leading to the registry being screwed up somehow for the pure fact that any thing i do that invovles risking getting a virus i usually do in ubuntu so the virus wont mess with anything. but i wil try out malewarebytes thanks for the post

SunnyRabbiera
November 10th, 2009, 03:53 PM
Yeh if the registry is corrupted, there is not much to be done other then a reinstall.
If you have a way to back up data I suggest you use it.

redfoxkt
November 10th, 2009, 03:58 PM
Yeh if the registry is corrupted, there is not much to be done other then a reinstall.
If you have a way to back up data I suggest you use it.

yeah i got most of everything backed up on my linux partition and in a external..i honestly dont know wat im doing wrong with windows cause i just restored it a little under 2 months ago...but it is possible i got malware floating around somewhere is there any other malware scanners other than malwarebytes..just gonna try to look into a bunch

SunnyRabbiera
November 10th, 2009, 04:05 PM
spybot, and adaware are pretty good.

jheaton5
November 10th, 2009, 04:10 PM
yeah i got most of everything backed up on my linux partition and in a external..i honestly dont know wat im doing wrong with windows cause i just restored it a little under 2 months ago...but it is possible i got malware floating around somewhere is there any other malware scanners other than malwarebytes..just gonna try to look into a bunch

Microsoft just released free anti-malware product which replaces their Live One Care product. I don't remember the name but you ought to be able to find it either on the Windows site or on Google.

Edit: Microsoft Security Essentials.

renkinjutsu
November 10th, 2009, 04:12 PM
one of the best virus/malware scanners i've seen is Kaspersky (http://usa.kaspersky.com/products_services/internet-security.php?c_id=ex_kaspersky), but it's a commercial product and doesn't come free.. If you don't want to pay for a product, i usually install comodo (http://www.comodo.com/) on my friend's and sister's computers. It's free, it's good and also backed by several companies

SunnyRabbiera
November 10th, 2009, 04:13 PM
Microsoft just released free anti-malware product which replaces their Live One Care product. I don't remember the name but you ought to be able to find it either on the Windows site or on Google.

Edit: Microsoft Security Essentials.

Its not that great though, third party tools like spybot search and destroy and adaware are better.

jheaton5
November 10th, 2009, 04:19 PM
Its not that great though, third party tools like spybot search and destroy and adaware are better.

Just trying to help. The best approach is to ditch Windows altogether.

PryGuy
November 10th, 2009, 04:43 PM
The best approach is to ditch Windows altogether.+1. But make sure that you've made a backup of all your data!

redfoxkt
November 10th, 2009, 04:45 PM
thanks comodo and malwarebytes both look promising but ill try comodo first...i had this idea a while back just havnt found a live cd but since linux doesnt really get infected i wanted to find a good virus/spyware/malware scanner that will run on linux but scan windows partitions...or a live cd that could do the same and suggestions ? I.E i want to be able to take a harddrive with a infected windows partition on it plug in into my computer and scan and delete the infections instead of possibly reformating

redfoxkt
November 10th, 2009, 04:47 PM
Just trying to help. The best approach is to ditch Windows altogether.
i would love to do that but adobe programs dont run on linux well the new cs3-4 dont and cant play crysis on linux =(

koleoptero
November 10th, 2009, 06:38 PM
I and all the people I know use Avast home edition as an antivirus and Ad-aware for malware. No problems with viruses or malware whatsoever the past 5 years.

blur xc
November 10th, 2009, 06:50 PM
I use Symantec Antivirus, SuperAntiSpyware, and MalwareBytes on my work pc. I also had to run Sophos anti-root kit to clean up my last mess. Yay for Windows!

BM