PDA

View Full Version : How many of you got a susetudio invitation?

kio_http
November 10th, 2009, 02:37 PM
http://susestudio.com

Great service. Well made and with a nice interface. How many of you also got an invitation?

overdrank
November 10th, 2009, 02:39 PM
Bad link :p

konqueror7
November 10th, 2009, 02:50 PM
i got one too. last month, the service is great for customizing your own 'distro', hope ubuntu will offer such service. :p

so far, made 2 'distros'...

kio_http
November 10th, 2009, 03:02 PM
Bad link :p

Link fixed

Dragonbite
November 10th, 2009, 03:19 PM
Got one a while ago. I started a couple but never finished them (yet).

gn2
November 10th, 2009, 04:12 PM
I got one, but didn't like the Ts and Cs so didn't take it up.

praveesh
November 10th, 2009, 06:49 PM
How to get the invitation ? How do they select the users to send the invitations ?

mister_pink
November 10th, 2009, 07:07 PM
I got one, but didn't like the Ts and Cs so didn't take it up.
What was wrong with them? (Not read them myself, always helpful when other people point out the possibly contentious points!)

Anyway, looks like a pretty cool idea really.

praveesh
November 10th, 2009, 07:12 PM
Did any of you try the reconstructor(www.reconstructor.org)? . It is similar to suse studio but creates a custom debian(Ubuntu) based operating system other than the rpm based one created by the suse studio . It's also a web application , now.

konqueror7
November 10th, 2009, 07:14 PM
How to get the invitation ? How do they select the users to send the invitations ?

mmm...you just register your email in the link above, and just wait. i don't know what novell uses for registration criteria, but i remember registering twice...:D

praveesh
November 10th, 2009, 07:20 PM
mmm...you just register your email in the link above, and just wait. i don't know what novell uses for registration criteria, but i remember registering twice...:D

thanks.

konqueror7
November 10th, 2009, 07:49 PM
Did any of you try the reconstructor(www.reconstructor.org)? . It is similar to suse studio but creates a custom debian(Ubuntu) based operating system other than the rpm based one created by the suse studio . It's also a web application , now.

its seems to be limited on use though. each user get 5$ then specific fees are applied when doing something...but will give it a try,,,thanks,,,

here's the info from their wiki,

The following are the fees for using the Reconstructor services. Please note: each account gets a $5 credit each month, provided that the user uses at least $4.75 of the previous credit. Each transaction will deduct from your account credit. To add more funds, click the "Add Credit" button in your account details window (accessed by clicking your username in the upper right after you login).

* Upload and store a project file: $0.02 per MB
* Build a project: $0.30
* Download a built project: $0.45 per GB
* Priority build service: $5.00 (enabled for one month) Note: This charge is prorated based upon the remaining days in the month.

gn2
November 10th, 2009, 08:07 PM
What was wrong with them?

The legal implications of accepting them.

HappyFeet
November 10th, 2009, 08:18 PM
I signed up, but never got an invite.

HappyFeet
November 10th, 2009, 08:20 PM
its seems to be limited on use though. each user get 5$ then specific fees are applied when doing something...but will give it a try,,,thanks,,,

You are better off doing a minimal install, then build it up the way you want it, then using remastersys to make a cd.

yesitsme
November 10th, 2009, 08:23 PM
Yes i have one but i dont really get it O_o like i can go into my susestudio on the internet and click on gnome and stuff but it was just weird and i dont know what i was doing :/ i think they only gave me an account because i lied and said that im a programmer for red hat ^_^

konqueror7
November 10th, 2009, 09:06 PM
You are better off doing a minimal install, then build it up the way you want it, then using remastersys to make a cd.

i already did a minimal install last time...but currently i hate to use it since my internet bandwidth is too slow for me to install happily...:D

i heard about remastersys also, but i'm not using multiple PCs or do frequent installs, but maybe in the future...

Xbehave
November 10th, 2009, 10:10 PM
How is this different from slax?

praveesh
November 11th, 2009, 04:01 AM

oh yeah . But it was free earlier.

mister_pink
November 13th, 2009, 08:32 PM
The legal implications of accepting them.
Helpful!

I was thinking more along the lines of "item number x is a bit objectionable"

gn2
November 15th, 2009, 11:07 AM
It was the fact that you have to agree to be bound by the decisions of a US court.

cdwillis
November 15th, 2009, 11:19 AM
Wow, can you guys be any more vague as to what was objectionable about these terms and conditions? :popcorn:

gn2
November 15th, 2009, 11:49 AM
Wow, can you guys be any more vague as to what was objectionable about these terms and conditions?

I don't have a copy of the terms to hand, so cannot give the exact wording which I couldn't agree to.

cdwillis
November 16th, 2009, 02:24 AM
I just got my invite in my email box a few minutes ago and I thought I'd copy the terms and conditions for you guys:

Novell may, in its sole discretion, modify or revise these Terms of Use and associated policies at any time, and you agree to be bound by such modifications or revisions. If you do not accept and abide by these Terms of Use, you may not use the Studio service.

SUSE Studio (the "Service"). You understand and agree that the Service is provided on an AS IS and AS AVAILABLE basis. Novell may discontinue the Service at any time. Novell disclaims all responsibility and liability for the availability or reliability of the Service. Novell also reserves the right to modify, suspend or discontinue the Service with or without notice at any time and without any liability to you. You represent and warrant that (a) all of the information provided by you to Novell to participate in the Services is correct and current; and (b) you have all necessary right, power and authority to enter into these Terms of Service.

Since the Service is of pre-release quality, You should not use the Service to produce images for use in a commercial or production environment. The Service has not been fully tested and may contain errors or omissions. The Service should be used only in a development and testing environment. Novell does not guarantee that a fully supported or tested version of the Service will become generally available to the public, that target dates will be met, or that associated products will be released. The entire risk arising out of your use of the Service remains with you. You should back up your system and take other measures to prevent any loss of files or data. The Service is unsupported.
You are responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of your Service password and account, and are responsible for all activities that occur thereunder. Novell reserves the right to refuse service to anyone at any time without notice for any reason. After a period of inactivity, Novell reserves the right to disable or terminate your account.

You agree that you will use the Service in compliance with all applicable local, state, national, and international laws, rules and regulations, including any laws regarding the transmission of technical data exported from your country of residence. You shall not, shall not agree to, and shall not authorize or encourage any third party to: (i) use the Service to upload, transmit or otherwise distribute any content that is unlawful, defamatory, harassing, abusive, fraudulent, obscene, contains viruses, or is otherwise objectionable as reasonably determined by Novell; (ii) upload, transmit or otherwise distribute content that infringes any other party's intellectual property rights or other proprietary, contractual or fiduciary rights or obligations; or (iii) use the Service for any fraudulent or inappropriate purpose. Violation of any of the foregoing may result in immediate termination your account and may subject you to state and federal penalties and other legal consequences. Novell reserves the right, but shall have no obligation, to investigate your use of the Service in order to determine whether a violation of the Terms of Use has occurred or to comply with any applicable law, regulation, legal process or governmental request.

Novell owns all right, title and interest in and to the Service, including without limitation all intellectual property rights. You are not authorized to use any Novell trade names, trademarks, service marks, or logos or to make any representations or warranties on behalf of Novell.

You may cancel your use of the Services by providing notice to Novell at studio-feedback@suse.de. Novell may at any time and for any reason suspend or terminate your account. Sections [TBD], of these Terms of Use shall survive expiration or termination.

You agree to hold harmless and indemnify Novell, and its subsidiaries, affiliates, officers, agents, and employees from and against any third party claim arising from or in any way related to your use of the Service, including any liability or expense arising from all claims, losses, damages (actual and consequential), suits, judgments, litigation costs and attorneys' fees, of every kind and nature. In such a case, Novell will provide you with written notice of such claim, suit or action.

THE SERVICE AND OTHER CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION IS PROVIDED TO YOU “AS IS” WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND. THE ENTIRE RISK AS TO THE RESULTS AND PERFORMANCE OF THE SERVICE IS ASSUMED BY YOU. NOVELL DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, TITLE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. NOVELL DOES NOT WARRANT THAT THE SOFTWARE OR SERVICE WILL SATISFY YOUR REQUIREMENTS OR THAT THE OPERTATION OF THE SOFTWARE OR SERVICEWILL BE UNINTERRUPTED. Some jurisdictions do not allow certain disclaimers and limitations of warranties, so portions of the above limitations may not apply to you. This limited warranty gives you specific rights and you may also have other rights which vary from state to state.
NEITHER NOVELL NOR ANY OF ITS LICENSORS, SUBSIDIARIES, OR EMPLOYEES WILL IN ANY CASE BE LIABLE FOR ANY SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL, INDIRECT, TORT, ECONOMIC OR PUNITIVE DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF THE USE OF OR INABILITY TO USE THE SOFTWARE OR SERVICE, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION LOSS OF PROFITS, BUSINESS OR DATA, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF THOSE DAMAGES.
IN NO EVENT WILL NOVELL'S AGGREGATE LIABILITY FOR DIRECT DAMAGES TO PROPERTY OR PERSON (WHETHER IN ONE INSTANCE OR A SERIES OF INSTANCES) EXCEED $50 (U.S.). The above exclusions and limitations will not apply to claims relating to death or personal injury. In those jurisdictions that do not allow the exclusion or limitation of damages, Novell's liability shall be limited or excluded to the maximum extent allowed within those jurisdictions.
These Terms of Use will be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of the State of Utah, without giving effect to its conflict of laws provisions or your actual state or country of residence. Any claims, legal proceeding or litigation arising in connection with the Service will be brought solely in Utah, and you consent to the jurisdiction of such courts.

gn2
November 16th, 2009, 02:41 AM
"Any claims, legal proceeding or litigation arising in connection with the Service will be brought solely in Utah, and you consent to the jurisdiction of such courts."

^ That was the bit I didn't like.

Dragonbite
November 16th, 2009, 04:59 AM
"Any claims, legal proceeding or litigation arising in connection with the Service will be brought solely in Utah, and you consent to the jurisdiction of such courts."

Why? Got a problem with them wanting to keep the courts in check with where they are located?

~sHyLoCk~
November 16th, 2009, 05:17 AM
I have it. They don't have 11.2 as base as yet.

Crunchy the Headcrab
November 16th, 2009, 08:19 AM

Yeah, Novell is located in the State of Utah, USA. I respect your decision. Far too many people don't even read T's and C's. Good on ya.

gn2
November 16th, 2009, 11:32 AM
Why?

It's really simple, I have no faith whatsoever in the USA legal system and in no way wish to consent to subjecting myself to it.
In Utah they still have the death penalty.
I don't think my views on that should be posted here, but if you want to know what they are, just ask.

n.b. it's not a xenophobia issue, I'm not entirely keen on the UK legal system either, here's (http://www.thisissurreytoday.co.uk/news/Ex-soldier-faces-jail-handing-gun/article-1509082-detail/article.html) a classic illustration of why. ;)