PDA

View Full Version : add/remove programs is still there.

Ms_Angel_D
November 10th, 2009, 02:19 PM
I don't know if anybody else knew this(I'm sure a bunch of people did), but I just discovered that I can get add/remove programs back by running

sudo apt-get install gnome-app-install

Of course I had to create my own menu item for it but, honestly I'm glad for now it's still there because I think the software center needs more work.

The Funkbomb
November 10th, 2009, 02:22 PM
Good to know. Now, I hope for 10.04, they give the user the option if they want to use Software Center or Add/Remove.

I prefer Add/Remove.

Tibuda
November 10th, 2009, 02:23 PM
apt:gnome-app-install

Ms_Angel_D
November 10th, 2009, 02:24 PM
Good to know. Now, I hope for 10.04, they give the user the option if they want to use Software Center or Add/Remove.

I prefer Add/Remove.

That would be nice but I honestly don't see it happening unless there is a bunch of people calling for it.

ZankerH
November 10th, 2009, 02:28 PM
You realise both gnome-app-install and the software centre are essentially dumbed-down versions of Synaptic, right? Just use that, if you must have a gui for apt-get.

RiceMonster
November 10th, 2009, 02:31 PM
You realise both gnome-app-install and the software centre are essentially dumbed-down versions of Synaptic, right? Just use that, if you must have a gui for apt-get.

So because it's a "dumbed down" version, they're not allowed to prefer it and shouldn't use it?

The Funkbomb
November 10th, 2009, 02:37 PM
Yes, I realize you can do the same thing through synaptic. I just prefer add/remove for browsing applications.

Ms_Angel_D
November 10th, 2009, 02:38 PM

I use synaptic too but for just browsing software add/remove programs is the way to go for me. Synaptic doesn't break it down into categories and doesn't give it a very browse-able interface.

ZankerH
November 10th, 2009, 03:05 PM
Synaptic doesn't break it down into categories and doesn't give it a very browse-able interface.

http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/1301/synapticcategories.png

So because it's a "dumbed down" version, they're not allowed to prefer it and shouldn't use it?

Use what works for you.

Ms_Angel_D
November 10th, 2009, 03:20 PM
removed to keep from double loading

Use what works for you.

That's hardly an easy on the eyes interface. Synaptic is great if you know what your searching for, but for browsing it has to be possibly the worst interface I have ever seen.

ZankerH
November 10th, 2009, 03:21 PM
That's hardly an easy on the eyes interface. Synaptic is great if you know what your searching for, but for browsing it has to be possibly the worst interface I have ever seen.

protip: Use your browser for browsing. A package manager isn't a supermarket.

Ms_Angel_D
November 10th, 2009, 03:24 PM

Why does this thread even matter to you?

RiceMonster
November 10th, 2009, 03:24 PM

Use what works for you.

Simian Man
November 10th, 2009, 03:29 PM

You realize apt-get is just a dumbed down version of dpkg right? Just use the package database (http://packages.ubuntu.com/) to browse pacakages, wget to download them and dpkg to install them - if you need any dependencies, dpkg will tell you and you can get those with wget as well!!

~sHyLoCk~
November 10th, 2009, 03:32 PM
protip:
sudo apt-cache search package

sudo apt-get install package

:lolflag:

The Funkbomb
November 10th, 2009, 03:43 PM
Here's an even better idea! Let's just get rid of all GUIs. We can do everything via CLI.

I don't see why you're breaking off on people because they prefer add/remove. The more options people have the freer they are.

Ms_Angel_D
November 10th, 2009, 03:45 PM
the more options people have the freer they are.

This is QFT

RiceMonster
November 10th, 2009, 03:46 PM
You realize apt-get is just a dumbed down version of dpkg right? Just use the package database (http://packages.ubuntu.com/) to browse pacakages, wget to download them and dpkg to install them - if you need any dependencies, dpkg will tell you and you can get those with wget as well!!

lol win

~sHyLoCk~
November 10th, 2009, 03:52 PM
Somehow I think ZankerH uses slackware. :p

Mr. Picklesworth
November 10th, 2009, 04:05 PM

I prefer Add/Remove.

You do have an option. (Even via Software Centre itself). It is not necessary for options to leap at our users' faces.

The Funkbomb
November 10th, 2009, 04:15 PM
You do have an option. (Even via Software Centre itself). It is not necessary for options to leap at our users' faces.

I meant like a part in the menu that said "Classic Add/Remove View"

Tibuda
November 10th, 2009, 04:32 PM
I meant like a part in the menu that said "Classic Add/Remove View"

You mean you want both installed by default? No, they should not.

The Funkbomb
November 10th, 2009, 04:35 PM
Why not? You'd never know it was there.

Tibuda
November 10th, 2009, 04:41 PM
Why not? You'd never know it was there.

Why have two apps to do the same thing? That's wasted space and will surely confuse new users.. If someone wants the old add/remove, install it and remove USC.

This also applies to Synaptic, but USC is not ready yet to replace it.

The Funkbomb
November 10th, 2009, 04:45 PM
That's not what I'm saying at all.

It would be on entry under applications. You open it up and go to Software Center. You look and don't like it. All you'd have to do is click View>View Classic and it would switch over the classic add/remove view.

CharlesA
November 10th, 2009, 05:33 PM
Yes, I realize you can do the same thing through synaptic. I just prefer add/remove for browsing applications.

This is what I do as well. I'll remove them with Synaptic or apt-get tho.

Tibuda
November 10th, 2009, 05:35 PM
That's not what I'm saying at all.

It would be on entry under applications. You open it up and go to Software Center. You look and don't like it. All you'd have to do is click View>View Classic and it would switch over the classic add/remove view.

Sorry, I misunderstood you... Now I see what you are suggesting.

lukjad
November 10th, 2009, 05:35 PM
I don't know if anybody else knew this(I'm sure a bunch of people did), but I just discovered that I can get add/remove programs back by running

sudo apt-get install gnome-app-install

Of course I had to create my own menu item for it but, honestly I'm glad for now it's still there because I think the software center needs more work.
Heehee. I thought you meant that programs you removed were still installed. :lol: