PDA

View Full Version : Any Other Bloggers out There?

beastrace91
November 10th, 2009, 09:01 AM
So mid through last month I started up my own blog posting my own personal thoughts on different pieces of technology and software that exists. While playing around with Widgets this afternoon I discovered one that counts page hits and was pleasantly surprised to see my little page had gotten some 140k hits over the last 30 days or so since I'd created it. This seems like a large number to me personally but I really do not have anything to compare it to - anyone else out there know what the statistics are on the average numbers of hits are to your common blog/webpage? I'm just curious how my little page compares :)

~Jeff

Странник
November 10th, 2009, 09:05 AM
I'm lucky if I get more than ten visitors a day..
Yeah I'm totally unknown
But then I have to write more

The Real Dave
November 10th, 2009, 09:16 AM
140k? O.O mine can be anywhere from 0-49 hits a day, usually around the 10-15 mark.

Want to help improve that? The link is in my sig ;)

Nevon
November 10th, 2009, 09:22 AM
Holy crap! That's not bad at all. I usually get between 50-100 a day, which would translate to 1500-3000 a month.

EDIT: Just took a look at that hits counter, and I'm not so sure I would trust those numbers. Counting pagehits retroactively doesn't work, and with so few comments I would very much doubt that you've had over 140 thousand visitors in the last month. Install Google Analytics instead, and get some hard numbers.

Naiki Muliaina
November 10th, 2009, 10:07 AM
Mines down to about 100 a day, but hasnt been maintained for like... Forever?.. I sorta ran out of desire to post an things to say at the same time.

XubuRoxMySox
November 10th, 2009, 12:39 PM
Wow! You guys are famous! My numbers vary by topic (and by "tag," or keyword). I've had two people read and comment on some of my armchair theology rants and one person on one of my Linux rants so far. But it's a new blog anyway (just moved it over from lame old middle-school Xanga to wonderful Wordpress).

Robin's Rants & Raves (http://robinzrants.wordpress.com)

-Robin

joey-elijah
November 10th, 2009, 12:43 PM
My blog get's around 10, 000 (6, 000 of which are returnees!) hits a day (which increases to around 500, 000 if something's been dugg/been on engadget/gizmodo/lifehacker etc)

madnessjack
November 10th, 2009, 01:15 PM
Apparently, my blog (also my band's website - the stats package logs them both) got 3k visits in October. I'm pretty sure they only get glanced at occasionally though (especially because at the minute I'm very inactive with it).

maflynn
November 10th, 2009, 01:20 PM
I had one for a while, but given the anemic hits, lack of time and dedication on my part I let if wither and die a horrible lonely death. I may pick up again in the future, so I'll keep my domain name since its a good one.

dvlchd3
November 10th, 2009, 01:36 PM
As suggested above, I would install some sort of traffic analytics. I believe robots/crawlers/etc justify a "hit" meaning most likely some your hits are not human. However, web analytics are great in giving an abundant amount of data. Where your vistors came from, where they went to after visiting, what pages they visited, how long they visited the site, their OSes, browsers, etc.

I would recommend aganist Google analytics. They just scare me. Not saying its not a great solution, but Google and the amount of information they store is kind of scary to me. I use gostats (http://gostats.com) for all my traffic analysis. Its free, and has been extremely reliable.

If you're interested in an open source solution, piwik looks promising. I have been testing it for the past few months with positive results. (Some glitches/bugs here and there, but its moving along!) Piwik is an open source alternative to Google Analyitcs. (http://piwik.org/)

Bungo Pony
November 10th, 2009, 02:09 PM
My blog gets between 50-75 independent hits per day. In other words, those who keep their IPs don't get counted for visiting more than once.

But I may go and install the Google Analytics since I'm interested to get some real results.

Blog link in my siggy
vvvvv

johnboy1313
November 10th, 2009, 02:16 PM
my blog gets anywhere between 10 to 70 hits in a day, it's main purpose is really to entertain me while im at work and a place for me to find tings I can not save while here. every once in a while i'll actually put something with thought behind it, but most times it just things that have made me laguh and i thought friends would find amusement in too

c2006
November 10th, 2009, 02:47 PM
The most hits I've ever had in a day is 7. Woeful, I know.

:lolflag:

Just in case anyone actually wants to visit my pathetic excuse for a blog, the link is in my siggy.

Nevon
November 10th, 2009, 03:15 PM
My blog get's around 10, 000 (6, 000 of which are returnees!) hits a day (which increases to around 500, 000 if something's been dugg/been on engadget/gizmodo/lifehacker etc)

Heh. You've been sending some pretty decent traffic my way over the last couple of weeks. Thanks for that! :lolflag:

beastrace91
November 10th, 2009, 03:34 PM
Ahh yea, I added Google's Stats tracker last night and I see what you mean about just counting flat page hits to be miss leading. Still getting a decent amount of traffic though :)

~Jeff

PhoHammer
November 10th, 2009, 04:49 PM

How old is your blog and what would you say brings you the most traffic? My main blog ,
magnatecha.com, is nearly a year old. I do pretty regular posts, but my traffic is dismal (~25
hits/day). Just wondering what you do to garner this success? :D

SomeGuyDude
November 10th, 2009, 04:57 PM
Political blogger, 800-1200 visits per day.

NOTE: hits != visits, this is important to realize. I've had days with 10,000 hits but 2,000 visitors or so because people would find something they like and read all over the place.

dvlchd3
November 11th, 2009, 12:14 PM
How old is your blog and what would you say brings you the most traffic? My main blog ,
magnatecha.com, is nearly a year old. I do pretty regular posts, but my traffic is dismal (~25
hits/day). Just wondering what you do to garner this success? :D

SEO (Search Engine Optimization) and SEM (Search Engine Marketing) is a complicated science. Some pointers: First, ensure you are "tagging" all your posts or adding some sort of meta data. (Your blogging software may describe this differently, essentially you are attempting to put keywords into a meta tag so search engines will be able to more easily index your site.)

Also, submit your blog to as many search engines as you can. There are other sites that will do this for you, but be careful, they will also spam the crap out of the email address you give them!

Keep some sort of "blogroll" or links to other sites/blogs that talk about the same things you do. Hopefully they will return the favor. The more outgoing links, and links coming in will give you a higher ranking.

Google Webmasters shows some great stuff. It will also give you any sort of errors its crawlers had while indexing your site. This is important, because if Google's crawlers have problems, chances are every other search engine is having problems as well!

Rule number one in any sort of marketing: Identify and know your target market! By identifying a specific niche you want to market your site to, you will be much more successful. You want to be as specific as possible when you think about your "tarket market." As the saying goes: "The riches are in niches." Let your tarket market be a guide to everything you do on and for your site.

Like I said it is a complicated science. People have written several books on the subject, and everyone has their own take on their strategies to success. I was simply outlining the basics here. But if you want more, search for "Search Engine Optimizaition" or "Search Engine Marketing", or find a good book at your favorite bookstore.

t0p
November 11th, 2009, 12:36 PM
According to Wordpress stats, my blog averages 150 a day.

Mainly coming from Google: my blog figures fairly high in some searches for some reason.

I also get traffic through the links in my sig. I'm a helpful soul, as well as a little insolent.

Nevon
November 11th, 2009, 01:16 PM
Mainly coming from Google: my blog figures fairly high in some searches for some reason.

Interestingly enough, the two top search terms that bring people to my blog are:

Wooden floor
Acid trip

This despite the fact that I run a blog much like the one the OP is running. :)

m4tic
November 11th, 2009, 01:23 PM
i gave up tracking visitors on my site long ago, i've made 4blogs in the past on different things, no luck
these days it catches 20-40 views

TuckLive
November 11th, 2009, 01:37 PM
I don't post everyday, but I see about 5-10 hits a day. Would love to see more hits though. :wink:

Junkieman
November 11th, 2009, 02:41 PM
Yup I have a blog, I'm not too fussed about the random hits, but keeping to the topic, community and people who share an interest is my goal.

runs off to read some of the blogs mentioned here :)

TuckLive
November 11th, 2009, 03:15 PM
runs off to read some of the blogs mentioned here :)

I'm doing the same.

PhoHammer
November 11th, 2009, 04:55 PM
SEO (Search Engine Optimization) and SEM (Search Engine Marketing) is a complicated science. Some pointers: First, ensure you are "tagging" all your posts or adding some sort of meta data. (Your blogging software may describe this differently, essentially you are attempting to put keywords into a meta tag so search engines will be able to more easily index your site.)

Also, submit your blog to as many search engines as you can. There are other sites that will do this for you, but be careful, they will also spam the crap out of the email address you give them!

Keep some sort of "blogroll" or links to other sites/blogs that talk about the same things you do. Hopefully they will return the favor. The more outgoing links, and links coming in will give you a higher ranking.

Google Webmasters shows some great stuff. It will also give you any sort of errors its crawlers had while indexing your site. This is important, because if Google's crawlers have problems, chances are every other search engine is having problems as well!

Rule number one in any sort of marketing: Identify and know your target market! By identifying a specific niche you want to market your site to, you will be much more successful. You want to be as specific as possible when you think about your "tarket market." As the saying goes: "The riches are in niches." Let your tarket market be a guide to everything you do on and for your site.

Like I said it is a complicated science. People have written several books on the subject, and everyone has their own take on their strategies to success. I was simply outlining the basics here. But if you want more, search for "Search Engine Optimizaition" or "Search Engine Marketing", or find a good book at your favorite bookstore.

Thanks, these are some great tips!

I submitted my blog to all the engines when I first made it, and I now get a couple hits from
all the major players (google, yahoo and bing) everyday.

I need to work on a blogroll, I've really wanted to partner with another site that is about the same
popularity as mine, but I haven't done it yet...

I have a Webmaster account with Google and I check it from time to time. All is well on that front,
very rarely do I have a crawl error.

I think my two unexplored (or barely explored) fronts are SEO and niche martketing.

I have become quite familiar with SEO, as I write for Associated Content. But I haven't really
employed my knowledge very well when writing for my site. I use Blogger as my CMS, and I
have no idea how it handles meta data. I will definitely look into this...

As for finding a good niche, that's a problem. You could probably say that my site is very
similar to Engadget in its content. Unfortunately, mine doesn't get near the traffic that they do.
I wonder if it is because my content is too broad? I post on anything from new android phones
to a review on Windows 7. I have a newer blog I started to provide coverage on Google's
Chrome OS. Maybe that will be a better defined market for traffic...

See, I post broader content like Engadget, but I don't have the manpower to pump pieces about
every cool thing that happens. Technology and science are broad fields, so I have to pick and
choose what I write about. If I were to cover a more narrow subject, I could catch all the news
about it.

Well it's always a learning process, I guess:popcorn:

beastrace91
November 11th, 2009, 07:18 PM
Haha, so I added Google Statistics to track my blog and I'd just like to say Blogger's hit counter is on crack or something... Google Stats reads I've gotten around 300 hits each of the last two days I've had it going - which I fully believe hehehe.

That being said most of that traffic is being directed at my Cedega vs Codeweavers (http://jeffhoogland.blogspot.com/2009/10/cedega-vs-crossover-games-hands-on.html) article (which has gotten reposted several places around the net now and is the #2 hit on Google for searching that topic :D )

~Jeff