PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Install with unetbootin

Ladgalen
November 10th, 2009, 08:53 AM
Hi all !

I had got several errors when I updated from 9.04 to 9.10, thus I would like to remove jaunty in order to have a clean installation of Karmic.

I saw that I can install ubuntu without burn a CD with Unetbootin. I would like to know if this type of installation is as good as a standard installation ?

Moreover, I have several partitions on my disk 1 for windows (:oops: sorry) one for the roots / and one for my home /home. Is unetbootin able to install ubuntu on the / partition without delete or damage other partition ?

Thanks for you help !

MelDJ
November 10th, 2009, 08:54 AM
unetbootin makes the usb into a live cd. so it functions just like a live cd

Ladgalen
November 10th, 2009, 08:56 AM
Ok, but I do not understand why a usb come here ?

I have to put the iso file on an usb key to do the install ?

wilee-nilee
November 10th, 2009, 09:04 AM
Ok, but I do not understand why a usb come here ?

I have to put the iso file on an usb key to do the install ?

I think MelDJ is more knowledgeable about unetbootin. It is a good idea to have a live CD or Thumb of your installed systems in case you need to reinstall again or need to use gparted without burning a gparted disc, or pulling files out of a borked system. I believe the live CD could also access the windows partitions, but I'm not sure. A onboard install is for the geeks.

MelDJ
November 10th, 2009, 09:06 AM
you see, unetbootin makes your usb drive bootable.
its the same process as burning the ubuntu iso on a cd. But in this case you use a pendrive instead. so you dont need to buy cds.
try it out. see: http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

Arup
November 10th, 2009, 09:10 AM
Both Jaunty and Karmic have create live USB disk built in, I only install it via USB disk as its far quicker, even running Live CD is better with USB.

Ladgalen
November 10th, 2009, 09:37 AM
ok, thank you for all your reply.

In conclusion I will burn a CD, it seems easier !

What about users ever in my /home partition ? Does the installation will see them ? Or will I have to create new users and copy configuration in ?

Maybe you advise me to create new user in order to have clean config files ?