PDA

View Full Version : What do you use your linux box for?

Joviannm
November 10th, 2009, 08:35 AM
I am wondering what you all are using your Linux boxes for? I am looking for new and interesting things to do with my Linux box.

My current uses are as follows:
1. OpenVPN
2. Ventrilo
3. FTP
4. Torrents

Thanks all in advanced!

Lvcoyote
November 10th, 2009, 08:38 AM
I just use mine for messing around with, it's more of a hobby use than anything ele. I'm still relatively new to the Linux scene, but I enjoy the heck out of messing around with it and seeing what it can do.

synicalx
November 10th, 2009, 08:49 AM
Good question!

At the moment I only have a full Ubuntu install on my netbook so I'm a bit limited to what I can use it for, but I'm looking at building a media server for my house using Ubuntu or maybe some other distro.

But at the moment I use Linux mainly for web browsing, chatting, on-the-go office stuff and of course tinkering :D

Bodsda
November 10th, 2009, 09:01 AM
I am wondering what you all are using your Linux boxes for? I am looking for new and interesting things to do with my Linux box.

My current uses are as follows:
1. OpenVPN
2. Ventrilo
3. FTP
4. Torrents

Thanks all in advanced!

Web Server
File sharing server
Internet connection sharing
Programming
Building a Linux From Scratch

It's also my primary operating system so I use it for web browsing, music, downloads, email, gaming etc.

Kind regards,
Bodsda

irishbreakfast
November 10th, 2009, 09:57 AM
Home/Education/Office
Firefox, Thunderbird, OO (work and home)
Video (only machine in house that can connect to TV, converting stuff to DVD), Music playing
Torrent
Gnucash

jimmy the saint
November 10th, 2009, 09:59 AM
I have a box that is currently my home server. It serves music via Daap, video and files through FTP/Samba to all of the other machines in my home. Currently, it is also connected to my tv and so it serves as my HTPC, but that is temprorary and certainly not ideal. Backups are also stored on it. Eventually I will set up an email/web server on it, but that is not really neccessary at this point, so I will wait until I have more time.

My main box is used mostly for torrents, Urban Terror and multimedia at this point, but it gets some good use for productive tasks as well sometimes as well as serving as my distro testing machine (lots of RAM and a decent processor = virtualizing goodness).

I also have Linux on my laptop for school. It does it all.

MelDJ
November 10th, 2009, 10:01 AM
internet and daily use...

sledge73
November 10th, 2009, 10:18 AM
As I'm not a gamer I use Ubuntu for everything. I can't find a use for windows!

Ms_Angel_D
November 10th, 2009, 10:28 AM
The Only OS I have is kubuntu so I use it for everything I do relating to computers.

PratterFak
November 10th, 2009, 10:33 AM
I use it for everything. :D

Although, I still have dual boot (with Windows) set up for a specific app and for certain members of the family... lol

Zzl1xndd
November 10th, 2009, 12:34 PM
Like many others it is my only OS. Even use it for gaming.

overdrank
November 10th, 2009, 12:37 PM
Moved to The Community Cafe

Astarroth
November 10th, 2009, 01:54 PM
I use mine for alarm clock, website building, internet, Torrents, OO, and just about everything. I do have a dual boot system with Windows seven installed so I can play some of the windows only games but that is all I use windows for anymore.

Chame_Wizard
November 10th, 2009, 02:00 PM
1. The daily things: Browse the web,check email,IM,downloading torrents(include ISO),IRC.

2.The personal stuff: Office stuff(pdf and),reading mangas/doujinshis(H include),organize my /home directory.

3.Entertainment: Listens to music,watching movies/series/anime(H include),converting media files.

4.System use: Programming(C++),making website(CSS),learning how to fix/report bugs(not yet good),WINE and Virtualbox,learn/work more at my system,Terminal.

5.Relaxing: Playing games(Nexuiz,Open Arena>>>any 3D games with OpenGL).

:lolflag:

dyingsun
November 10th, 2009, 02:15 PM
Everything except .NET stuff. I maintain a secret Windows box for that.

Ubuntu is what I use day to day. All my (non .NET) web development projects, its my web server, ftp server, media server, programming environment, my Internet machine, my communcations hub, my gaming machine, my audio/video editing machine, my graphics workstation, my organiser, my office, basically the hub of my cyber-existence. Everything I do, I do in Ubuntu. The only times I boot up Windoze is when I have to use Visual Studio for C#, or SQL Server.

If you're looking for new and exciting uses for Linux, just think about all the things you would do in Windows, and find the Linux ways of doing them. Also, explore the command line interface - there are some absolute gems in there!

johnboy1313
November 10th, 2009, 02:19 PM
i use mine for everything, i no longer feel the need to be constrained by conventional microsoft systems, if i was more into pc gaming i might use a small partition to dual boot window but i am guilty of having the preferance of gaming by platform, id rather be on my couch infront of a tv than my computer, more and more i feel like the only one who feels that way

The Funkbomb
November 10th, 2009, 02:19 PM
Just about everything except occasionally playing Windows First Person Shooters.

3d modeling in blender
The Gimp
Video Editing with Kdenlive
Audio recording/editing with audacity.
Open Office stuff
Website stuff
Learning to program

Lots of stuff.

linux 22
November 10th, 2009, 02:25 PM
Desktop: Ubuntu 9.10 Firefox Dropbox Gimp Ktorrent

Server: Ubuntu 8.04 8.10 Debian django apache vpn ssh socket

SteveDee
November 10th, 2009, 03:03 PM
We have 2 x Ubuntu computers for general desktop stuff; the net, email, MyFace, Skype, accounts, photo management & so on.

We have 1 x Xubuntu which sits in the lounge connected to TV & stereo. When booted without a display it runs like a Jukebox (i.e. it auto plays our music collection of ogg/mp3/wma files in random order) using Audacious. Or we can play recorded videos through the TV.

We have 1 x Ubuntu in a dusty corner at the top of the house. This records TV programs via MeTV and an application I wrote which powers it up and down based upon the recording schedule in MeTV.

decoherence
November 10th, 2009, 03:04 PM
I'm lucky enough to be able to use Ubuntu as my primary work system. I'm a sysadmin/in-house tech support for a school.

My job duties include what you'd expect from tech support and administration, and that is handled mostly with the command line or web interfaces. My two most commonly used commands (that aren't built-in) are probably ssh and ldapsearch. Loads of bash scripting, too.

My other duties include more curricular support. For instance, for the remembrance day assembly there will be video and slideshows. While these will probably be running on a Windows machine, any preparation I do is on Ubuntu. That includes GIMP, Inkscape, ffmpeg and I've even worked in some cute little 3D stuff with Blender. Unfortunately, when there are powerpoints involved I have to start up VirtualBox. I don't trust PowerPoint presentations to stay consistent between different computers, nevermind between MS Office and OpenOffice.

The other thing I use this computer for is data recovery. A couple of times a month I'll get a panicked teacher or student whose computer won't boot and they're certain their data is gone for good. I used to use straight dd but I quite like myrescue, these days.

The fact that I'm able to do all of this on one computer impresses my colleagues. The fact that I'm able to do all of this without constantly begging for licenses or breaking the law impresses the heck out of my boss.

So as you can see, my simple linux workstation allows me to look like a hero at work! And people wonder why I'm so disinterested in Windows or Mac; Linux is the perfect system for what I need to do.

TheStroj
November 10th, 2009, 03:12 PM
I only have Ubuntu installed so I use it for everything. My favorite game is running perfectly in Wine so I use Ubuntu for gaming too.

jheaton5
November 10th, 2009, 03:43 PM
The short answer is everything.

While I still must have windows xp on my state-owned work computer, I carry a netbook running Ubuntu Karmic with me to work and use it 90% of the time. Through remote access I can login to the work network and all is fine.

I also am a part time pastor and use Linux for all my word processing and data management. I have a laptop that dual boots Ubuntu 9.10 and Debian testing. I have an old desktop that is a headless server running Debian stable that I use for file backup on all the family computers. My wife has a laptop that is a dual boot with Windows Vista and Ubuntu 9.10. She never uses windows. The only time Windows is booted is once every week when I download all the updates.

I went Windows free back in the summer after a year of Linux. I have no regrets.

In spite of all the bru-ha-ha over 9.10 being a bad upgrade, I had no problems installing it on our two laptops and my netbook (Dell mini9). I like it. I had switched from 9.04 to Debian testing and now have begun to use Ubuntu for most of my production work.

Joviannm
November 10th, 2009, 07:21 PM
Awesome thank you all so much for the responses this has given me a lot more ideas. Please keep them coming!

-Jov

LoloftheRings
November 10th, 2009, 07:28 PM
1. Messing around with it, I've tried about 10 distro's, and most of em were great at their own way.
2. Instant messaging, I'm stuck to MSN because all of my friends use MSN. I'm using Pidgin for this.
3. Web browsing
4. Warcraft III, runs awesome with wine.
5. Music
6. Hobbyist programming

I still have Windows XP installed, basically just for some games like Starcraft and Battlefield 2. These games do run in wine, but the performance isn't great.

The reason I run GNU/Linux is basically because it's just so much faster. I also enjoy the freedom, something I've never experienced on Windows. I don't say Windows is bad, I'm saying Windows is bad for me ;)

I'll probably keep using GNU/Linux till death do us apart!

subdivision
November 10th, 2009, 07:38 PM
I have Arch installed on my Eee 701. I use it for light internet browsing, IRC, and some word processing.

PhoHammer
November 10th, 2009, 07:59 PM
The fact that I'm able to do all of this on one computer impresses my colleagues. The fact that I'm able to do all of this without constantly begging for licenses or breaking the law impresses the heck out of my boss.

That's awesome!:D

Tibuda
November 10th, 2009, 08:07 PM
Unfortunately, when there are powerpoints involved I have to start up VirtualBox. I don't trust PowerPoint presentations to stay consistent between different computers, nevermind between MS Office and OpenOffice.

If you don't use those annoying animations in your presentations, you can export them as PDF in OpenOffice, and it will stay consistent in any platform.

decoherence
November 12th, 2009, 12:18 AM
If you don't use those annoying animations in your presentations, you can export them as PDF in OpenOffice, and it will stay consistent in any platform.

I gotta start up a blog or something so I can blather on about this at length without feeling like I'm hijacking a thread. Basically, I agree with your suggestion completely, except that it only applies to distributing the ppt rather than developing it. The development is where all the pain is, when it's being sent from this user to that user, each with different skill levels and sometimes different versions of PowerPoint. You can't really convert to PDF during the development stage because you lose most of your editing tools. The ability to edit things is what makes PowerPoint so attractive to busybody execs (or academic equivalents) who feel like they need to tweak a table's position three pixels to the left just so they 'get their hands dirty.'

No, it doesn't make sense to me either but assuredly that is why in-house PowerPoint beat out contracted Macromind Director jobs. The Director jobs looked way better but every time someone wanted to change something, they had to do it through their contracted Director guy. Powerpoint also was better at printing handout copies of the presentation. Handouts really excite execs.

Sorry for the OT rambling. Hm... I wonder how consistent OOo Impress presentations are between Mac/Linux/Windows? I gotta check that out. It might be another thing I use my Linux box for! :biggrin:

t0p
November 12th, 2009, 12:43 AM
I use my desktop computer for:

writing reports, articles, lesson plans, my novel
playing music
watching videos
storing music and video files... well, all sorts of files
a local web server so I can experiment with site building
resarch on the web
reading all sorts of written material: as pdfs, text files, html-format documents
editing photographs with the Gimp
reading newspapers online (especially the Guardian (http://guardian.co.uk) - my fave rag)
running XP in VirtualBox so I can use Photoshop
listening to podcasts
watching "internet TV" shows like Hak5 (http://www.hak5.org)
dealing with email
general web stuff
probably lots more that I can't think of at the moment

I also have an EeePC running Eeebuntu. I use it for most of the above tasks when I'm out and about. I also sometimes connect the 2 machines with a length of crossover cable, and access the desktop computer from the EeePC. This is useful when I want to relax on the sofa but do computer-related tasks. So I've got FreeNX on the desktop, and an NX client on the netbook.

My computers are major tools for both my job and leisure time. Losing them would have a major impact on my way of life.

seeker5528
November 12th, 2009, 02:13 AM
On my home systems....

I have my primary system where I do my internet stuff, listen to music, do some gaming, and do my Myth TV stuff, has an HDHomerun connected to it.

My secondary system has a Hauppauge card connected to a VCR that is connected to a DTA box, and typically I just use it to browse the web and use VLC to watch TV or video tapes.

At work....

I have one system that I typically have running so I can research problems that may come up or in general just browse the web/research/whatever when things are slow.

Have another work system that comes into play in situation where I need to pull a hard drive out of another system to do some investigative/recovery type stuff.

Later, Seeker

Veteropinguis
November 12th, 2009, 07:30 AM
Listening to music, poking around the Internet, (legal) torrents, playing games.

Same things I did with my Windows box. I'm not much of a computer nerd. I use Ubuntu because it's fast and pretty. And I like the cube.