PDA

View Full Version : The Thing about Linux

helloyo
November 10th, 2009, 04:49 AM
I have been using Linux for a long time, and after a short hiatus back to the Windows world I have been drawn back in. In my work as a web developer I have been using Linux everyday, which has led to it returning to my desktop on a part time basis.

I would like to make it clear that Linux works. There is no denying that anymore; it is a very powerful tool that when harnessed in the right way gives great results. On the other hand, a large portion of its use is for ideological reasons. This would be the category that I usually fall in. In my work environment it is the right tool for the job for many reasons, but this isn’t the case at home.

At home Windows 7 undoubtedly gives me a better experience. Not in all areas, but certainly overall. So why do I always find myself going back to give the latest Linux a try? For me it is because I want something that was created based on a philosophy, not on a business model. Something that is fair and open.

There lies my problem. Of course these are good reasons, but are they really relevant? Are we actually benefiting from choosing products not on their merits but on their philosophy? We would all like to live in a fair world and there are very few outlets for us to express that. I cannot buy an “open” car, but is that to my detriment?

I guess what I’m asking is, does choosing the inferior product for the right reasons serve any purpose or does it stem from a psychology desire to be in control of one little aspect of this chaotic, unfair world?

utnubuuser
November 10th, 2009, 04:54 AM
Proprietary software is better for the poor.

Irihapeti
November 10th, 2009, 05:08 AM
We are not all rational all the time. We do things - at least I do - because we feel like doing them, feel drawn to them, whatever.

I think that life would be awfully boring if everyone were strictly rational, because we'd probably all end up doing the same thing.

Chronon
November 10th, 2009, 05:55 AM
Proprietary software is better for the poor.

Interesting. Would you care to elaborate?

HappyFeet
November 10th, 2009, 06:01 AM
I guess what I’m asking is, does choosing the inferior product for the right reasons serve any purpose or does it stem from a psychology desire to be in control of one little aspect of this chaotic, unfair world?

It may be an inferior product to you, but for me linux is vastly superior. You make it sound like everyone feels the way you do. Which of course, is not the case.

PostChache
November 10th, 2009, 07:30 AM
I find using Ubuntu and Linux in general to be a lot more fun than using Windows. I like going and changing things and trying to figure out how my OS works on a deeper level. I don't have any work that would require me to have Windows so there's no need for me to go out and buy it.

matthew.ball
November 10th, 2009, 07:40 AM
does choosing the inferior product for the right reasons serve any purpose or does it stem from a psychology desire to be in control of one little aspect of this chaotic, unfair world?
See, the problem is you are generalising over your own experiences, this is wrong.

Besides, you could in theory kill a man, you choose not to because you have moral values.

The comparison, whilst a bit extreme, is perfectly analogous to using Linux in favour of Windows. Not everyone has the same moral values, it suits some people more than it does others.

This is partly the reason I think philosophy should be a compulsory subject - it teaches the difference between objectivism/subjectivism, and of course logic, which is lost to too many people.

Странник
November 10th, 2009, 07:53 AM
In specific areas we indeed are better, however there is still work to do in the desktop linux department .
But we are getting there ...

Cool G5
November 10th, 2009, 07:59 AM
Linux is growing at a good pace. Changes are brought & worked upon nicely. Then offcourse we have forums like this one where people sit down to solve problems faced by other users without any monetary pay. I have stopped making comparisons with windows a long way back as I feel Linux is way forward than windows. That's just my opinion & I'm sure there are many out there who will not agree with me.

wilee-nilee
November 10th, 2009, 08:08 AM

You might consider asking a psychologist for a question only you would know, or at least would be the closest to the answer. I am not saying you need a psychologist, but this is the last place I would expect to get get anything except confirmation of my own bias and others. This a support forum for computers.

irishbreakfast
November 10th, 2009, 08:29 AM
I believe that we all make our choices based on our philosophy, our beliefs. But not all of us can articulate our philosophy or interpret actions that conflict with what we believe are our beliefs.

I'd like to congratulate you for "always ... "going back to give the latest Linux a try?".

adeypoop
November 10th, 2009, 11:53 AM
It may be an inferior product to you, but for me linux is vastly superior. You make it sound like everyone feels the way you do. Which of course, is not the case.

+1 for that, Linux is not inferior at all

unlimitedme
November 10th, 2009, 12:22 PM
IMHO, it depends on what is your objective

For me, running a 24 X 7 server, UNIX platform is a must.
I have tried to use Win server before, but a lot problems comes up, expecially memory management problem.

So UNIX/Linux still going to be the best option for me.

Mander
November 10th, 2009, 12:35 PM
I haven't had a chance to try Windows 7 yet, but in my experience the two OS's are just different. Some things in Windows annoy me, some other things in Ubuntu annoy me. I've just found that the things in Ubuntu annoy me less than the things in Windows.

I like the idealist views behind open source, but sometimes I find that the products aren't (yet) totally functional. Depending on what they are I either just use the proprietary driver or whatever, or I just deal with the annoyance and hope it gets fixed. Since most of what I do is writing in LaTex, I can be pretty flexible with what I use.

Sporkman
November 10th, 2009, 04:23 PM
(sorry - wrong thread! D'Oh!!)

RiceMonster
November 10th, 2009, 04:41 PM

It doesn't serve any real purpose. If Windows is best for you, use Windows. Likewise, if Linux is best for you, use Linux. You shouldn't sacrifice getting the best experience (for you) out of your computer for an ideal alone. In the end, it's just a computer and you should be using it for whatever purpose it serves you.

phrostbyte
November 10th, 2009, 04:50 PM
Windows might be better at running things like video games, but is that even a good thing?

Video games are a total waste of time. When I was a Windows user I was a big gamer. And all my computer nerd friends which still use Windows are big gamers, and don't know how to program or even do anything advanced on a computer yet they are on it all the time. :p Is that really a good thing?

Philosophy is a 100% valid reason to do something. In the end of the day you have to do stuff because they make you happy. And you know what, Linux and the ideas behind FOSS makes me happy. :D It renews my faith in humanity. On Linux you aren't just a mindless consumer, you can take part in improving the OS or participating in the community behind it. It's a certain empowering feeling. And you know I think that's something much better then anything Windows can do.

steveneddy
November 10th, 2009, 06:30 PM
I started using Linux because Windows wasn't working for me. Constant reinstalls became tedious.

I continue to use Linux because it still works and I get work done with no surprises or stupid stuff caused by malicious individuals.

I use Ubuntu because of the forums.

I have become a supporter of Linux due to philosophy also.

IMHO - Linux is a better product, is superior to Windows in most respects, but suffers from a lack of marketing to the masses that Windows enjoys.

Ubuntu and Linux just needs to keep going in the direction that it is going and Linux will eventually become a major player in the PC desktop market.

koenn
November 10th, 2009, 06:32 PM
There lies my problem. Of course these are good reasons, but are they really relevant? Are we actually benefiting from choosing products not on their merits but on their philosophy? We would all like to live in a fair world and there are very few outlets for us to express that. I cannot buy an “open” car, but is that to my detriment?

It makes perfect sense to let philosophy / values / morals / ... guide your actions. Form humans, at least.
E.g. if you shop in Oxfam shops or buy Fair Trade goods, you probably pay more than for a generic product at a supermarket, but you want to support Oxfam / Fair Trade / .... because you think it's worthwhile. Same thing with,say, environmental impact, etc.

It doen't even have to be "irrational": maybe you've come to the rational conclusion that the current trade relations are untenable in the long run so you've moving towards more sustainable behavior.

Likewise, you could be of the opinion that in the long run, open/free software makes more sense.

I guess what I’m asking is, does choosing the inferior product for the right reasons ...
Not clear what you mean here - you're worried about using Windows for the Wrong/right reasons ? ...

BigSilly
November 10th, 2009, 06:37 PM
I use it because I like it. Everything else is just a bonus.

:)

helloyo
November 10th, 2009, 10:22 PM
Good points, everyone.

I didn't mean to say Linux is inferior to Windows, just that there are many F/OSS applications which don't compare to their proprietary counterparts.

Right now I am using 9.10, and I have to say that once you have made a few little tweaks it is brilliant. I really love the concept of F/OSS and think it will be model for the advancement of many fields in the future, just wanted to hear a few people's views.

ElSlunko
November 10th, 2009, 10:35 PM
Of course it makes a difference. Although companies having an income does help out their production, many FOSS projects have shown to swing at being equal to closed projects.

We as consumers drive the market. What we invest in and how we use the products available to us controls companies and delegates resources. Software companies try to control our choices with advertisements. That's just a fact of life, it's not inherently evil. However, misrepresenting another product is.

So even though my usage of Ubuntu is a drop of water in a HUGE lake, I'm voting with my usage. I often wonder what would happen if linux takes a big chunk of the market. Clearly hardware support would shoot through the roof since hardware suppliers just want to sell their products (as well as software developers).

NoaHall
November 10th, 2009, 10:44 PM
Is that they always try to walk it?

dearingj
November 10th, 2009, 11:21 PM
I have computers that came with Windows, and a computer that came with Mac OS X, and I keep both systems installed - they're not useless to me :) But on all of my computers I have installed Ubuntu. Ubuntu is what I use most often, for two reasons:

1) Functionality and ease of (re)installation. Ubuntu works better for me than Windows and just as well as OS X.
2) Canonical, and the Free software community in general, build a culture of openness. It's not just a philosophy, it's a way of life and it permeates everything; from these forums which new users are directed to for help (Microsoft has help forums too, but can you find anything which points those forums out to new users?), to Brainstorm, to Launchpad, to the Ubuntu Weekly Newsletter and the various podcasts and blogs which I subscribe to. With Microsoft, when a new user needs help, the user has to deal with phone answering machines and automated email response systems. With Ubuntu, new users deal with real people.