PDA

View Full Version : I switched to KDE...

tuahaa
November 10th, 2009, 04:35 AM
...and uninstalled Gnome.

KDE 4.3.3 is stable. Very stable. Join the dark side. Muahahahahahahahahaa

~sHyLoCk~
November 10th, 2009, 04:41 AM

Congrats installed kubuntu-desktop or using kubuntu or any other distro? Imo mandriva and opnsuse do wonderful work with KDE. So you may wanna check'em out. :popcorn:

RiceMonster
November 10th, 2009, 04:43 AM
KDE seems to be getting really popular now, which is deserved of course. It's very good and is going to get even better. Seems like just yesterday when everyone was complaining about 4.0 :).

dragos240
November 10th, 2009, 04:43 AM
I am 50% gnome and 50% KDE.

Xbehave
November 10th, 2009, 04:46 AM

We have cookies :D.

p.s If you ever get into coding there kross rules for simple tweak

dragos240
November 10th, 2009, 04:47 AM
http://www.ravenzradio.com/sitebuilder/images/Dark-Side-Cookies-335x240.jpg

ddarsow
November 10th, 2009, 04:52 AM
Gnome for me (at least for now, not too sure about Gnome 3).
not a big KDE fan though.

chucky chuckaluck
November 10th, 2009, 04:56 AM
cookies suck, but i'm hooked on kde.

Grifulkin
November 10th, 2009, 05:30 AM
in b4 hoppipolla

Tipped OuT
November 10th, 2009, 05:34 AM
Meh, I'll always love GNOME. It's my first DE and it's what helped me learn more about Linux. :)

stinger30au
November 10th, 2009, 05:36 AM
what ever floats your boat:p

praveesh
November 10th, 2009, 06:39 AM
A lot of people switch

praveesh
November 10th, 2009, 06:41 AM
Meh, I'll always love GNOME. It's my first DE and it's what helped me learn more about Linux. :)

I hope the Gnome3 won't be similar to kde4

SomeGuyDude
November 10th, 2009, 06:44 AM
I don't like any QT apps and KDE's system is far too cluttered. Also I absolutely hate the way KDE does theming.

That said, it's a very attractive system.

Cool G5
November 10th, 2009, 06:48 AM
I'm all game for KDE but having an outdated system means I have to use GNOME or some other lightweight DE. I wish to get a new computer soon & then run KDE in all its glory. :)

tuahaa
November 10th, 2009, 07:14 AM
KDE Kftw...

Yes, weird Knames, but its worth it!

Ms_Angel_D
November 10th, 2009, 08:10 AM
KDE Kftw...

Yes, weird Knames, but its worth it!

lol I hear people complaing about the knames all the time, but in Ubuntu's huge repo's it does make it quite easy to find kde apps if your a kubuntu user. I personally don't care what the they name the program as long as it works... ;)

JBAlaska
November 10th, 2009, 08:15 AM
Always loved Gnome, But with the upcoming Gnome-Shell...I have to ask, What kind of cookies??

King_Critter
November 10th, 2009, 08:22 AM
I'm using 4.3 right now for the first time, and I really haven't made up my mind yet.

I love the QT toolkit look -- much smoother then GTK. It's cool how everything on the desktop is a widget (plasmoid or something?), and I like the fact that the panels scale so smoothly. I guess everything is SVGs or something.

However, I do have some gripes.

A big one is that compositing demands resources that my netbook doesn't have. On Gnome+Compiz Fusion, even some more advanced effects went smoothly. On KDE, just switching workspaces is enough to lag it up.

Even without compositing, desktop widgets animate like molasses. Oh, and any widget menu (right clicking on the desktop, opening the main menu, etc.) flickers for a split second, like the graphics are getting corrupted or something. The same thing happens with the logout dialog -- the entire screen behind the dialog gets skewed. Not pretty.

And then there's just some small stuff, like the battery indicator text not shrinking with the icon, making it unreadable at small sizes.

So, the tl;dr version: KDE is nice, but it needs improvement. I eagerly await the 4.5 release.

EDIT ADD: oh, and: Konqueror SUCKS. Do people actually use it? o_0

Ms_Angel_D
November 10th, 2009, 08:29 AM

I only use it for one thing, Guild Wars. Playing Guild Wars, there are lot's of times where you need to check the wiki or maybe look up the going rate of an in game item so you know how much to sell it for. So I set up konqueror for this purpose. Other than that I use firefox for everything, which btw imo, looks great to me in karmic.

Pasdar
November 10th, 2009, 09:02 AM
I'm using 4.3 right now for the first time, and I really haven't made up my mind yet.

I love the QT toolkit look -- much smoother then GTK. It's cool how everything on the desktop is a widget (plasmoid or something?), and I like the fact that the panels scale so smoothly. I guess everything is SVGs or something.

A big one is that compositing demands resources that my netbook doesn't have. On Gnome+Compiz Fusion, even some more advanced effects went smoothly. On KDE, just switching workspaces is enough to lag it up.

Even without compositing, desktop widgets animate like molasses. Oh, and any widget menu (right clicking on the desktop, opening the main menu, etc.) flickers for a split second, like the graphics are getting corrupted or something. The same thing happens with the logout dialog -- the entire screen behind the dialog gets skewed. Not pretty.

And then there's just some small stuff, like the battery indicator text not shrinking with the icon, making it unreadable at small sizes.

So, the tl;dr version: KDE is nice, but it needs improvement. I eagerly await the 4.5 release.

It makes me wonder what the specs of your laptop are (and people with similar complaints), because i'm running it on an old Athlon 3000+ with 1.5 GB memory and Geforce 6200 card and it runs fluently. Memory usage while running Chromium (3 tabs) and Ktorrent and 8 widgets is 368 MB, CPU usage is 13%.

Konqueror might not be the best browser, but it is definately better than the sucky slow firefox (on linux).

Either way, you should use Chromium PPA instead.

Keyper7
November 10th, 2009, 09:15 AM
Always loved Gnome, But with the upcoming Gnome-Shell...I have to ask, What kind of cookies??

You know... KOOKIES.

bigbrovar
November 10th, 2009, 09:42 AM
Started my linux experience with gnome, and i was a gnomie for almost 2 years. then when kde 4.3 came i decided to give it a try and i have been hooked since.

GeneralZod
November 10th, 2009, 10:09 AM
It makes me wonder what the specs of your laptop are (and people with similar complaints), because i'm running it on an old Athlon 3000+ with 1.5 GB memory and Geforce 6200 card and it runs fluently.

It's becoming increasingly clear to me that the speed of KDE4 seems to have little to do with the power of the hardware and everything to do with how well the graphics card accelerates certain graphics operations that KDE depends on. The first comment on here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=BR&hl=pt&v=040BbTRLKdM

is that it works better than on his desktop machine which is vastly more powerful, and based on some user anecdotes I've heard on IRC, I can easily believe it.

praveesh
November 10th, 2009, 11:29 AM

If you wish, you can switch off the compositing and switch on the compiz . Compiz can be installed on the kde too .

bailout
November 10th, 2009, 11:32 AM
It's becoming increasingly clear to me that the speed of KDE4 seems to have little to do with the power of the hardware and everything to do with how well the graphics card accelerates certain graphics operations that KDE depends on.

I think this is true and karmic seems to be a big step backwards for certain graphics drivers. I have just installed karmic kubuntu on my desktop which uses an older ATI card (9800 pro) and although everything works with the default open drivers I am getting very noticeable lag when resizing windows etc even with desktop effects off. With desktop effects on I once managed to reach 90% cpu simply dragging a window around the desktop. I didn't have any problems with this card running 9.04 gnome and can't remember installing the proprietary drivers.

From comments on the forums it looks like there are a lot of problems with intel graphics which will affect my laptop. That is especially annoying as when bought it 2-3 years ago I chose one with intel graphics because then they had good linux drivers.

I am very impressed with much of kde 4 now with version 4.3 but the graphics problems are so annoying I may have to look at gnome or go back to 9.04 if 9.10 gnome is also affected.

Xbehave
November 10th, 2009, 01:02 PM
Kubuntu isn't as popular as ubuntu(gnome) (i thought it was 1/2 as popular but i was wrong :( )
ubuntu-desktop 960238 (82%)
kubuntu-desktop 149242 (13%)
xubuntu-desktop 060176 (5%)
sample 1169656

Classic Stockholm syndrome. :P

KDE doesn't use a kookie kuter, you can custimose your cookies to your hearts content (bluebery, chocolate, white chocolate, peanut, etc) on a (blob, star, circle, square, etc) shaped (oatmeal, crunchy, soft, fresh, etc) base, it defaults to soft chocolate stars though. :D

I'm all game for KDE but having an outdated system means I have to use GNOME or some other lightweight DE. I wish to get a new computer soon & then run KDE in all its glory. :)
I ran kde3 on 128mb ram, 1.2Ghz with an Intel chip, i know kde4 is more resource hungry (despite a recent flurry about some bad benchmarks) but it should run well on most modern hardware (it's using <500MB, here on a 2Ghz machine without a decent graphics driver)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=BR&hl=pt&v=040BbTRLKdM

Nokia (the makers of maemo), own qt which means that it can be heavily optimised for maemo, which has some pretty good hardware (ARM often doesn't look good on paper but has dedicated chips for everything)

Even without compositing, desktop widgets animate like molasses. Oh, and any widget menu (right clicking on the desktop, opening the main menu, etc.) flickers for a split second, like the graphics are getting corrupted or somethingWith open source ATI drivers, i get a bit of lag on widgets (hopefully this will be optimised by 4.5 as you suggest) but i don't get the flickers it sounds like a bug with kde+your graphics drivers.

oh, and: Konqueror SUCKS. Do people actually use it? o_0As a file browser, hell yes, half the feature requests on brainstorm are for nautilus to implement konqueror features. The only thing that sucks is the web rendering, which isn't that bad, but i don't mind using firefox in kde because it can be customised even more than most kde stuff.

stuart.reinke
November 10th, 2009, 01:46 PM
Third page and no Hoppi. Do we need to send out a search party? :lolflag:

Is 4.3.3 in the Jaunty repos yet?

kio_http
November 10th, 2009, 01:57 PM
I never liked GNOME much and started with KDE... Never left it :KS

King_Critter
November 11th, 2009, 09:49 PM
It makes me wonder what the specs of your laptop are (and people with similar complaints), because i'm running it on an old Athlon 3000+ with 1.5 GB memory and Geforce 6200 card and it runs fluently. Memory usage while running Chromium (3 tabs) and Ktorrent and 8 widgets is 368 MB, CPU usage is 13%.

EeePC 1000HE: 2.0 Ghz Atom dual core (note: Wikipedia says it's a 1.66 Ghz, but lscpu disagrees), 2 GB RAM, Intel GMA 950.

Konqueror might not be the best browser, but it is definately better than the sucky slow firefox (on linux).

Either way, you should use Chromium PPA instead.

Oh, definitely. I haven't got around to installing it again yet, but on Ubuntu that's all I used.

If you wish, you can switch off the compositing and switch on the compiz . Compiz can be installed on the kde too .

Awesome, I didn't know that. I'll have to check it out.

With open source ATI drivers, i get a bit of lag on widgets (hopefully this will be optimised by 4.5 as you suggest) but i don't get the flickers it sounds like a bug with kde+your graphics drivers.

Huh. It's an Intel GMA 950 -- I thought those were pretty well supported?

As a file browser, hell yes, half the feature requests on brainstorm are for nautilus to implement konqueror features. The only thing that sucks is the web rendering, which isn't that bad, but i don't mind using firefox in kde because it can be customised even more than most kde stuff.

Ah. Yeah, I haven't tried using the file manager features much yet -- I'm happy with Dolphin.

Ric_NYC
November 11th, 2009, 09:58 PM
The new KDE looks good.

rattasongw
November 11th, 2009, 11:33 PM
oh, and: Konqueror SUCKS. Do people actually use it? o_0

yes,i use it.i am on kde3 karmic now.i dont like dolphin,i found it SUCKS.

TheNessus
November 11th, 2009, 11:54 PM
I made my Gnome appear and act like KDE. Saves the trouble of actually using KDE...

Muppeteer
November 12th, 2009, 12:37 AM
I made my Gnome appear and act like KDE. Saves the trouble of actually using KDE...

How about acting like a millionaire then, just to save the trouble of becoming one :p

chucky chuckaluck
November 12th, 2009, 12:39 AM

i suppose you think this hurts our feelings.

hoppipolla
November 12th, 2009, 12:55 AM
*loves it to bits!*

good call man :)

TheNessus
November 12th, 2009, 01:22 AM
i suppose you think this hurts our feelings.

Why do you reckon?

Did I try to "attack" the "kde community" (does even that exist? does a gnome one exist too? I don't care)?

Does it hurt YOUR feelings, mr. I-care-a-lot-KDE-dude, that I did something for my own self combining both things that it hurts your pure KDE race or soemthing?

Why the hell do you think I tried to make an offense by just saying I did something with MY desktop?

I find people like you incredibly... well, not the appropriate place.

hoppipolla
November 12th, 2009, 01:26 AM
Why do you reckon?

Did I try to "attack" the "kde community" (does even that exist? does a gnome one exist too? I don't care)?

Does it hurt YOUR feelings, mr. I-care-a-lot-KDE-dude, that I did something for my own self combining both things that it hurts your pure KDE race or soemthing?

Why the hell do you think I tried to make an offense by just saying I did something with MY desktop?

I find people like you incredibly... well, not the appropriate place.

well to be fair man it does imply that you think KDE is like, not worth your time or not worth bothering with, which in turn implies it's not very good.

That might be completely the wrong interpretation, but that's how it could come across...

TheNessus
November 12th, 2009, 01:31 AM
well to be fair man it does imply that you think KDE is like, not worth your time or not worth bothering with, which in turn implies it's not very good.

That might be completely the wrong interpretation, but that's how it could come across...

Gave it a shot, maybe it's Karmic's fault, but it's really buggy (for my system) and a lot of programs close without notice or good reason. Plus it's slow. I do use some K programs such as Okular and Kopete though, through Gnome.

Not worth my time; correct.

As for everyone else - if it's good for you, that's great. You should know already that any distro and any DE is very individually experienced.

And I did love its features a lot - reason why I gnomed them.

hoppipolla
November 12th, 2009, 01:38 AM
Gave it a shot, maybe it's Karmic's fault, but it's really buggy (for my system) and a lot of programs close without notice or good reason. Plus it's slow. I do use some K programs such as Okular and Kopete though, through Gnome.

Not worth my time; correct.

As for everyone else - if it's good for you, that's great. You should know already that any distro and any DE is very individually experienced.

And I did love its features a lot - reason why I gnomed them.

ok cool :)

tuahaa
November 12th, 2009, 09:33 PM
Kubuntu is definitely not slow! Booting is much faster than Gnome Karmic (or maybe for some reason I killed Xsplash). Everything works well, no bugs at all and the speed is good. I use konqueror for basic browsing and I made it my default file manager, but when konqueror can't do something, I use bloated Firefox or Chrome. KDE FTW!

SomeGuyDude
November 12th, 2009, 09:36 PM
GNOME gets a lot of hate on this board, which really amuses me.

Tibuda
November 12th, 2009, 09:38 PM
Kubuntu is definitely not slow! Booting is much faster than Gnome Karmic (or maybe for some reason I killed Xsplash). Everything works well, no bugs at all and the speed is good. I use konqueror for basic browsing and I made it my default file manager, but when konqueror can't do something, I use bloated Firefox or Chrome. KDE FTW!

Bloated Chrome? This is new for me.

tuahaa
November 12th, 2009, 09:38 PM
I wonder if Ubuntu will make KDE the default desktop environment when Gnome 3.0 comes out. That way we get all the features as well

SuperSonic4
November 12th, 2009, 09:39 PM
Rekonq and Arora are good KDE web browsers and Krusader makes a good twin panel file manager. Anyway see below for a list of very good KDE apps

Amarok
K3B
Digikam
KMess
Arora
Krusader (esp in root mode)
[KDE] Partitionmanager
SMPlayer
K9Copy
Konsole
Oxygen
KMPlot

I wonder if Ubuntu will make KDE the default desktop environment when Gnome 3.0 comes out. That way we get all the features as well

No chance. Kubuntu will always be the shunned brother of Ubuntu. While Kubuntu is not bad I found Mandriva and KDEmod (Arch base) to be better implementations

SomeGuyDude
November 12th, 2009, 09:40 PM
Ubuntu is GNOME. End of story. They aren't going to up and switch. If you want KDE, use Kubuntu.

Also, a cookie for anyone who can design a lightweight setup with all QT apps.

tuahaa
November 12th, 2009, 09:42 PM
Well maybe Ubuntu 10.04 will be renamed "Gubuntu 10.04:Gucid Gynx", etc, etc....:D

Oh yeah I found "kdenlive" a very useful Kapplication. Kdenlive is an easy (but by no means limiting) video editor.It's usually good to present a relevant short video after you do a speech in class, and we use our laptops in class a lot (I converted people thanks to this). I figured out how to make basic videos despite it being my first time video making/editing, thanks to Kdenlive. Out next humanities task will require a video editor, so I'll put linux video editing and my amateur skills to the test.

SuperSonic4
November 12th, 2009, 09:42 PM
Ubuntu is GNOME. End of story. They aren't going to up and switch. If you want KDE, use Kubuntu.

A cookie for anyone who cannot run QT apps reasonably on a reasonably new (last 2 years) system.

Even my laptop with Chakra can run smoothly and that has 512MiB

Edit: Canononical could have showed some love to Kubuntu with the release of 9.04 given that the letter K features prominently but they chose not to

Tibuda
November 12th, 2009, 09:43 PM
Rekonq and Arora are good KDE web browsers and Krusader makes a good twin panel file manager. Anyway see below for a list of very good KDE apps

I thought Arora were pure-Qt, I mean no KDE-specific depends, just like VLC.

chucky chuckaluck
November 12th, 2009, 09:45 PM

i occasionally use qlwm with bsc, arora, juffed, vlc and xnviewer. with xterm or urxvt, it's not all qt, but there's no gtk stuff involved. is cookie worthy?

SomeGuyDude
November 12th, 2009, 09:45 PM
A cookie for anyone who cannot run QT apps reasonably on a reasonably new (last 2 years) system.

Even my laptop with Chakra can run smoothly and that has 512MiB

Hurfa durfa. I said nothing about running smoothly. I despise Amarok with a passion. I run MPD+Sonata not because of its resource usage, but because it's SIMPLE. Same with Thunar/PCManFM (depending on my mood), Brasero, Pidgin, Abiword and the host of other non-KDE apps that do their job and don't fling ten billion other features at me.

SomeGuyDude
November 12th, 2009, 09:46 PM
i occasionally use qlwm with bsc, arora, juffed, vlc and xnviewer. with xterm or urxvt, it's not all qt, but there's no gtk stuff involved. is cookie worthy?

Hm. Possibly. But I should have figured you'd be able to come up with something given your schizophrenic jumping between stripped-down Openbox and full-on KDE.

A cookie indeed.

kio_http
November 12th, 2009, 09:50 PM

Kubuntu is an official part of the ubuntu project

Shibblet
November 12th, 2009, 09:55 PM

You're a happy person, aren't you?

Ubuntu is a Linux kernel, end of story. The Ubuntu distribution comes with Gnome, end of story. Kubuntu is a Ubuntu kernel that comes with KDE, end of story.

I'm trying to envision you telling your 5 year old daughter a bedtime story.

"...and the princess lived happily ever after. End of story."

GeneralZod
November 12th, 2009, 09:57 PM
Kubuntu is an official part of the Kubuntu project

Well, I would certainly hope so :)

kio_http
November 12th, 2009, 10:08 PM
You're a happy person, aren't you?

Ubuntu is a Linux kernel, end of story. The Ubuntu distribution comes with Gnome, end of story. Kubuntu is a Ubuntu kernel that comes with KDE, end of story.

I'm trying to envision you telling your 5 year old daughter a bedtime story.

"...and the princess lived happily ever after. End of story."

?????????????

chucky chuckaluck
November 12th, 2009, 10:10 PM
A cookie indeed.

i want a picture. (something with cranberries in it, perhaps.)

fatality_uk
November 12th, 2009, 11:01 PM
Welcome to the club.

Zorian144
November 12th, 2009, 11:10 PM
Well I really don't like KDE, mainly because its really big and blocky, while GNOME is smaller and slick.

If GNOME had a transparent black, it would be complete.

chucky chuckaluck
November 12th, 2009, 11:16 PM
Well I really don't like KDE, mainly because its really big and blocky, while GNOME is smaller and slick.

if you mean the looks, both can be big and blocky or made small and slick. if you mean the installation, both can be trimmed down quite a bit, as well (especially kdemod).

Zorian144
November 12th, 2009, 11:21 PM
if you mean the looks, both can be big and blocky or made small and slick. if you mean the installation, both can be trimmed down quite a bit, as well (especially kdemod).

Well with KDE to me, it seemed it wasn't really as slick as GNOME. The only thing about KDE that I do like is the transparency.

Also, the Destkop "Folder" is kind of stupid.

Exodist
November 12th, 2009, 11:21 PM
I will stick with Gnome as long as I can. But I do not like the Gnome Shell concept. I prefer Gnome due to being able to easily make themes for it. But I dont dislike KDE either. So if Gnome3 goes to crap, I'll be using KDE.

chucky chuckaluck
November 12th, 2009, 11:22 PM
Well with KDE to me, it seemed it wasn't really as slick as GNOME. The only thing about KDE that I do like is the transparency.

that's like disliking gnome because evolution is stupid (or, whatever). both can be done away with.

gnomeuser
November 12th, 2009, 11:22 PM
I am 50% gnome and 50% KDE.

Does that make you Kome or gnode?

SuperSonic4
November 12th, 2009, 11:23 PM

What was the last version of KDE you used? KDE =>4.2 has had the option to make your desktop in the old way or even to be blank

Zorian144
November 12th, 2009, 11:24 PM
that's like disliking gnome because evolution is stupid (or, whatever). both can be done away with.

I meant how the desktop, to place icons, they need to be in a folder box or something.
Also Evolution is an application and I'm pretty sure it can be ran on both (or something similar) and uninstalled.

chucky chuckaluck
November 12th, 2009, 11:44 PM
I meant how the desktop, to place icons, they need to be in a folder box or something.

no.

Ms_Angel_D
November 13th, 2009, 01:10 AM
Also Evolution is an application and I'm pretty sure it can be ran on both (or something similar) and uninstalled.

The desktop folder is an option, you can fix the settings so the desktop shows the icons instead just like on gnome and get rid of the desktop folder.

Your right about evolution, it can be ran on both, but the desktop folder is just a plasmoid, similar to a widget on windows, and not required to run kde.

hoppipolla
November 13th, 2009, 01:11 AM

No the folder view is simply to keep the "Desktop" files separate from the rest of the desktop's icons and widgets IF YOU SO WISH. It can be turned off completely though and the desktop laid out exactly like Gnome or Windows or whatever :)

tuahaa
November 13th, 2009, 05:57 AM
The desktop widget is nice because it keeps your icons tucked in so you can have space for more widgets. You can switch to the normal view (like Gnome) if you want, but I think it adds to the nice looks and unwindows-likesness (thats a good thing)

Ric_NYC
November 13th, 2009, 06:35 AM
No the folder view is simply to keep the "Desktop" files separate from the rest of the desktop's icons and widgets IF YOU SO WISH. It can be turned off completely though and the desktop laid out exactly like Gnome or Windows or whatever :)

How can I do that?

jrrader
November 13th, 2009, 06:42 AM
I installed kubuntu-desktop a few weeks ago. KDE fans are so vocal that I had to give it a shot to see what the fuss is about. I found I don't really have much of an opinion about it. It's nice, but gnome does what I need it to do.

I think Awesome and Openbox need more love.

Xbehave
November 13th, 2009, 07:26 AM
How can I do that?
Dekstop settings> type:folder
The background becomes gnome/windows style, you can still put widgets on it (just like windows/gnome), so you have to remove them separately.

Artificial Intelligence
November 13th, 2009, 08:28 AM

You can make KDE as slim or bloated as you want it, the same goes for Gnome.

I like most DEs, they have each of their own charm and nusence.

Uncle Spellbinder
November 14th, 2009, 04:57 AM
OK. So I've got the kubuntu-desktop installed. And I quite like it. I'm toying with the idea of going "pure kubuntu". But, being a Gnome user for so many years, I have a couple questions.

Several things I did in Ubuntu I have no clue how to do in Kubuntu.

* Edit sources list: sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list - Is Gedit part og Kubuntu

* sudo apt-get update - Is Apt and/or Synaptic part of Kubuntu?

* I guess I need a clear, easy-to-understand "tutorial" on the Kubuntu/KDE way of doing common Ubuntu/Gnome tasks.

#-o:oops:

chucky chuckaluck
November 14th, 2009, 05:43 AM
OK. So I've got the kubuntu-desktop installed. And I quite like it. I'm toying with the idea of going "pure kubuntu". But, being a Gnome user for so many years, I have a couple questions.

Several things I did in Ubuntu I have no clue how to do in Kubuntu.

* Edit sources list: sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list - Is Gedit part og Kubuntu

* sudo apt-get update - Is Apt and/or Synaptic part of Kubuntu?

* I guess I need a clear, easy-to-understand "tutorial" on the Kubuntu/KDE way of doing common Ubuntu/Gnome tasks.

#-o:oops:

you can use kate or kwrite instead of gedit (or, you can still use gedit, nano or whatever other text editor you have installed).

apt works, but synaptic has to be installed if you don't still have it left over from using gnome.

i think most people have at least something from another DE and lots of stuff not particularly associated with a DE. i use gmrun in kde because i like it better.

ElSlunko
November 14th, 2009, 05:49 AM
I tried KDE a while ago and liked it for about a week then went back to gnome. I'm bored enough tonight and need to take a break from work so I'll install and have a go at it for a few :).

Gotta love ubuntu for having a decent KDE distro that you can easily install and run side by side it's gnome version. (I know many others have this too)

Uncle Spellbinder
November 14th, 2009, 06:10 AM
you can use kate or kwrite instead of gedit (or, you can still use gedit, nano or whatever other text editor you have installed).

apt works, but synaptic has to be installed if you don't still have it left over from using gnome.

i think most people have at least something from another DE and lots of stuff not particularly associated with a DE. i use gmrun in kde because i like it better.

Thanks, Chucky. This will take some getting use to.... in a good way. I'd like to have my external hard drives on the desktop and changing/adding themes is a challenge for this Gnome convert, but hopefully I'll get it after some exploring. I'm enjoying KDE so far....a lot.

EDIT:
Is there a 'default' (K)ubuntu sources.list? Does it differ from (U)buntu?

misfitpierce
November 14th, 2009, 06:17 AM
Congrats and enjoy it... Gnome kinda guy myself, tried out KDE but eh... leave it at that... enjoy it though :P

Artificial Intelligence
November 14th, 2009, 06:29 AM
Thanks, Chucky. This will take some getting use to.... in a good way. I'd like to have my external hard drives on the desktop and changing/adding themes is a challenge for this Gnome convert, but hopefully I'll get it after some exploring. I'm enjoying KDE so far....a lot.

EDIT:
Is there a 'default' (K)ubuntu sources.list? Does it differ from (U)buntu?

Not really. They uses the same sources.list

But if you like to test stuff with the latest KDE under kubuntu you can;

## Kubuntu Backports
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/kubuntu-ppa/ppa/ubuntu karmic main
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/kubuntu-ppa/backports/ubuntu karmic main

gpg --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv 2836CB0A8AC93F7A
gpg --export --armor 2836CB0A8AC93F7A | sudo apt-key add -

Uncle Spellbinder
November 14th, 2009, 07:05 AM
Not really. They uses the same sources.list

But if you like to test stuff with the latest KDE under kubuntu you can;

## Kubuntu Backports
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/kubuntu-ppa/ppa/ubuntu karmic main
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/kubuntu-ppa/backports/ubuntu karmic main

gpg --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv 2836CB0A8AC93F7A
gpg --export --armor 2836CB0A8AC93F7A | sudo apt-key add -

Excellent! Thanks. I actually just back up my Firefox and SeaMonkey profiles, pictures and docs. Clean install of Kubuntu 9.10.

Looking forward to testing!

qamelian
November 14th, 2009, 07:09 AM

I hope not. I love the Gnome-shell that will be part of Gnome 3, and I can't stomach KDE4. Gnome dances rings around KDE4 on my laptop.

Tipped OuT
November 14th, 2009, 07:11 AM
I hope not. I love the Gnome-shell that will be part of Gnome 3, and I can't stomach KDE4. Gnome dances rings around KDE4 on my laptop.

Take cover from KDE fanboys! Drop to the ground! Now! Now! Now!

*BOOM*

8-[

Artificial Intelligence
November 14th, 2009, 07:28 AM
Excellent! Thanks. I actually just back up my Firefox and SeaMonkey profiles, pictures and docs. Clean install of Kubuntu 9.10.

Looking forward to testing!

My pleasure. If you need help getting familiar with KDE/apps/setups just PM.
I was also a gnome user for many years before switching to KDE4 (though before that I used KDE2 and KDE3).

Xbehave
November 14th, 2009, 07:33 AM
I woudln't bother with adding the kubuntu ppas you will be more likely to run into problems, the default repositories are the same so there will be little difference between a clean kde install and ubuntu, then installing kubuntu-desktop (you may get a bit of menu clutter if you don't remove gnome apps but somrthing like

apt-get remove gtk && apt-get install firefox seamonkey
should clean most gnome stuff off without getting to tricky

ElSlunko
November 14th, 2009, 08:28 AM
Installed it and it's as purdy as the last time I tried it. My FF fonts got screwed up though, trying to fix that now.

SuperSonic4
November 14th, 2009, 12:26 PM

Fair enough, at least with open source one can choose what to pick

Take cover from KDE fanboys! Drop to the ground! Now! Now! Now!

*BOOM*

8-[

This would be laughable if not for the overwhelming number who dismiss KDE without trying it and who are attached to gnome through no rational link

emigrant
November 14th, 2009, 12:29 PM
i was touring through the kubuntu karmic live cd, and was trying to find where the heck the terminal is located.
and still unable to find :(

SuperSonic4
November 14th, 2009, 12:32 PM
KMenu (bottom left) --> Konsole

Alternatively press alt+f2 and type konsole

stuart.reinke
November 14th, 2009, 01:28 PM
Can someone explain why kde-desktop installed on top of Ubuntu seems to work better than a Kubuntu installation. At least it does on my computer.

hoppipolla
November 14th, 2009, 03:29 PM
Can someone explain why kde-desktop installed on top of Ubuntu seems to work better than a Kubuntu installation. At least it does on my computer.

ah well that's strange! Because that's basically what I have and yes I notice no problems either. There is a chance it's a tad slower than if I had KDE on another distro, but hell it would also run faster if I installed 64-bit Ubuntu not 32-bit, used ext4, and custom built my kernel. But I can't be bothered. heh :)

praveesh
November 14th, 2009, 04:00 PM

kUbuntu will contain the tweaks and changes made by the kUbuntu team.

Xbehave
November 14th, 2009, 04:06 PM
ubuntu gets more testing, i'd guess ubuntu+kde still has some well tested gnome stuff lying about
nm-applet (instead of knetworkmanager)
pulseaudio
etc

Tibuda
November 14th, 2009, 04:09 PM
ubuntu gets more testing, i'd guess ubuntu+kde still has some well tested gnome stuff lying about
nm-applet (instead of knetworkmanager)
pulseaudio
etc

pulseaudio is not a "gnome stuff".

Tipped OuT
November 14th, 2009, 04:16 PM
This would be laughable if not for the overwhelming number who dismiss KDE without trying it and who are attached to gnome through no rational link

Ah, party pooper.

kbtarl
November 14th, 2009, 04:20 PM
Is there a way to try it without doing a fresh install other than a live CD? I think I remember you could change at logon?

NightwishFan
November 14th, 2009, 04:25 PM
I don't like any QT apps and KDE's system is far too cluttered. Also I absolutely hate the way KDE does theming.

That said, it's a very attractive system.

My main reason for sticking to Gnome is similar. In KDE the configuration for the desktop is spattered all over the place. Plasma and desktop configuration, then Appearance in System Settings with its slowish loading tabs, then the desktop effects in the next section.

My main reason is the half finished features. In every KDE release they have half done plasma applets, or some new configuration dialog. Try the KDM configuration or the new one that configures device actions. Most of my other scruples, some Kubuntu specific have been fixed.

Tibuda
November 14th, 2009, 04:27 PM
Is there a way to try it without doing a fresh install other than a live CD? I think I remember you could change at logon?

yes, you can install kubuntu-desktop (apt:kubuntu-desktop).

chucky chuckaluck
November 14th, 2009, 04:36 PM
My main reason for sticking to Gnome is similar. In KDE the configuration for the desktop is spattered all over the place. Plasma and desktop configuration, then Appearance in System Settings with its slowish loading tabs, then the desktop effects in the next section.

all the configurations for kde are in systemsettings, while it's gnome that has things in more different places. and you really do need to get lucky to find the thing you want to adjust in gconf-editor (not that there's anything wrong with that...).

Xbehave
November 14th, 2009, 04:40 PM
pulseaudio is not a "gnome stuff".
Neither is NM technically, but both are primarily developed for and integrated with gnome. A default kubuntu install doesn't even include pulseaudio.

NightwishFan
November 14th, 2009, 04:43 PM
I mean the GUI. Gnome has all the appearance settings in one place, and in Ubuntu, even the desktop effects. Besides the GNOME control center is actually there, but hidden. It opens new windows for everything however, which is different than KDE.

I used KDE for about 2 years until I switched back to Gnome. KDE 4.2 was terrible on most distros.

I was sort of waiting to go back to KDE, but I rely on a lot of GTK based programs, and it makes little sense to use none of the QT ones while on KDE.

SuperSonic4
November 14th, 2009, 04:45 PM
Neither is NM technically, but both are primarily developed for and integrated with gnome. A default kubuntu install doesn't even include pulseaudio.

That is because Phonon is much better. For, unlike PulseAudio, it works by default

NightwishFan
November 14th, 2009, 04:49 PM
I am not so sure Phonon and Pulseaudio are the same thing. Phonon allows able QT applications to have a different backend with the same API. Pulseaudio is a sound server that acts as a go between for software and hardware, including a wrapper for ALSA and OSS.

Xbehave
November 14th, 2009, 04:58 PM
I mean the GUI. Gnome has all the appearance settings in one place,
Both of them? :o

Kde's settings make sense (most of the time):
[configure window behaviour (can't find this in system settings, it should probably be there)] = window manager settings in 1 place (e.g like if compiz and emerald configs were merged)
[system settings>desktop] = desktop settings in 1 place (well apart from desktop appearance which should probably be there too)
[system settings>appearance] = what programs look like inside the window decoration all in one place

That is because Phonon is much better. For, unlike PulseAudio, it works by default
As NightwishFan said, these are not the same, for example my kde runs through pulseaudio.

chucky chuckaluck
November 14th, 2009, 05:09 PM
for example my kde runs through pulseaudio.

does kubuntu come with pulseaudio installed by default? and, are there other distros than come with pulse installed by default?

SuperSonic4
November 14th, 2009, 05:10 PM
does kubuntu come with pulseaudio installed by default? and, are there other distros than come with pulse installed by default?

KDEmod does not

chucky chuckaluck
November 14th, 2009, 05:12 PM
KDEmod does not

yup.

Ms_Angel_D
November 14th, 2009, 05:12 PM

In my Kubuntu install pulseaudio is not installed and hasn't been since day one. Not sure about other distro's.

NightwishFan
November 14th, 2009, 05:14 PM
I am fairly sure Kubuntu does not. It is integrated in Phonon though.

McMichael96
November 14th, 2009, 05:18 PM

Hey! You made that Aero theme for Emerald! Are did you?

Xbehave
November 14th, 2009, 05:19 PM
Fedora comes with PA by default on the kde version.

Tipped OuT
November 14th, 2009, 05:19 PM
Hey! You made that Aero theme for Emerald! Are did you?

Yep.

McMichael96
November 14th, 2009, 05:22 PM
Yep.

Awesome work!

NightwishFan
November 14th, 2009, 05:26 PM
Fedora likes living on the edge. I respect that attitude though. It also means less difference between it's Gnome and KDE mixes.