PDA

View Full Version : anyone know nice shell account in non-EU/USA/Japan country?

agnes
November 10th, 2009, 02:00 AM
I don't know if this is the right place to ask it,
but I'm looking for a UNIX (or *BSD) shell account in a country that has nothing (at least, not official) to do with the EU; USA; Canada; or Japan.

Like: Russia; *stan; "Arabic" countries; China; (countries around) Thailand; Indonesia...

I'm willing to pay a reasonable amount for it.
However, via Google I only find accounts in the USA or EU.

(P.S. Mind you, I'm not doing anything harmful whatsoever. I'm just quite fond of my privacy, relating to national issues.)

schauerlich
November 10th, 2009, 02:03 AM
You're still going through a Dutch ISP to get to your private shell account, so if you're that paranoid, you've got bigger issues to deal with.

Frak
November 10th, 2009, 02:22 AM
The connection from there to your Shell is still monitored, so you can't bypass it using that method.

agnes
November 10th, 2009, 02:23 AM
Hmm yes,
but the ISP can only see I connect to the account (ssh), and not, what I do on the account - right? Or not?
(Just neglecting the registration process for the moment.)

Frak
November 10th, 2009, 02:24 AM
Hmm yes,
but the ISP can only see I connect to the account (ssh), and not, what I do on the account - right? Or not?
(Just neglecting the registration process for the moment.)
If I'm correct, your ISP has the right to monitor your activity, so yes they can see what you do on the account.

The Funkbomb
November 10th, 2009, 02:31 AM
You could always just proxy chain through a bunch of Noonecaresastans to your shell account.

That's a little overkill though.

Warpnow
November 10th, 2009, 02:37 AM
If I'm correct, your ISP has the right to monitor your activity, so yes they can see what you do on the account.

Interesting. So if an ISP can do this...what's the point of a proxy? Couldn't they just monitor what info you send to a proxy?

I don't know anything about this subject.

agnes
November 10th, 2009, 02:39 AM
How can an ISP see what you do on another account?
I know they can see to which hosts you connect, but how can they monitor what you do on e.g. an Chilean host.
For example, assume I read an article (on a website) from a Chilean shell account... the downloading of the article is then the responsibility of the Chilean account, so what does my ISP have to do with it?

Mornedhel
November 10th, 2009, 02:45 AM
Good news everyone, SSH is encrypted !

Frak
November 10th, 2009, 02:51 AM
Interesting. So if an ISP can do this...what's the point of a proxy? Couldn't they just monitor what info you send to a proxy?

In a lot of parts of Europe, ISPs can see your activity.

Fortunately, it is ILLEGAL in the United States for ISPs to view your activity.

doas777
November 10th, 2009, 02:54 AM
ok, to clarify, your home ISP can see the encrypted traffic. the question is whether they can crack the encryption to see what you are actually doing. my guess is yes if they really really want to, but probably not if you stay under the radar and don't give them a good reason to look at you.

falconindy
November 10th, 2009, 03:12 AM
ok, to clarify, your home ISP can see the encrypted traffic. the question is whether they can crack the encryption to see what you are actually doing. my guess is yes if they really really want to, but probably not if you stay under the radar and don't give them a good reason to look at you.
There's been 1 case made public about breaking the encryption on SSH-2. A whopping 4 bytes were read off of a transmission in what was only made known as "special conditions". I'm not saying its unbreakable, but there's a good chance that the time required would exceed the length of your SSH session.

Rainstride
November 10th, 2009, 03:18 AM

a proxy keeps a 3rd party from seeing the "real" you. for instance, if you are in a a country other than the u.s. and can't watch hulu, you could use a us proxy to watch hulu. because hulu would only see the u.s. proxy computer. though none of this stops your isp from seeing what you are doing. kind of like a man in the middle attack. the content would have to be encrypted before ever leaving your computer if you don't want you isp watching. witch is why we have tor.

phone tapping is illegal here to. but they still do it;).

Xbehave
November 10th, 2009, 03:23 AM
SSH, it works, the only ISP that can see what the shell acount does is the ISP on which the shell account is hosted.

LMAO, in Europe cops need a warrant to snoop on you and ISPs are bound by privacy laws.

agnes
November 10th, 2009, 03:48 AM
:) Okay. Thanks everyone.

So my first question still stands.

I do have tor, but it's very slow, plus I'd still have to check every time if I'm browsing via e.g. a proxy from the EU. Therefore, I want a foreign shell account.

(By the way: I don't think they will decrypt ssh data here, since here ISPs already standardly are forced to show everything everybody does on their host... which costs a lot.
Also, this data has to be kept for 2 years. There is not a general rule for EU countries so far, regarding privacy and such. At least I've never heard of it, only heard of people striving for it. Certainly here they don't need a warrant to snoop on you. And, as far as I know, they can ask data from "partner" countries (EU, USA) because of "national security", but everything is "national security" in a small country.)

Xbehave
November 10th, 2009, 04:26 AM
I do have tor, but it's very slow, plus I'd still have to check every time if I'm browsing via e.g. a proxy from the EU. Therefore, I want a foreign shell account.Unless you are a tor node, tor will not prevent them seeing the IP of your shell and your data is protected by SSH anyway. SSH is all you need tbh, just be aware that whoever hosts you shell (hosters and ISP will have records that their government can do what they want with (subject to their laws)

agnes
November 12th, 2009, 12:33 AM
Ok.
But nobody here knows shell providers, or lives, outside EU/USA? ):P ???

gletob
November 12th, 2009, 12:43 AM
How bout India?

You could find a host on this page that has SSH access.
http://www.webindiahosting.com/

Maybe Ukraine
http://www.webhosting.info/webhosts/tophosts/Country/UA

China?
http://www.webhosting.info/webhosts/tophosts/Country/CN

Iran?
http://www.webhosting.info/webhosts/tophosts/Country/IR

Cayman Islands?
http://www.webhosting.info/webhosts/tophosts/Country/KY

Russia?
http://www.webhosting.info/webhosts/tophosts/Country/RU

t0p
November 12th, 2009, 12:48 AM

Not quite right. The OP lives in Europe; so his ISP will have an obligation to store data related to which IP addresses he connects with, who he sends email to, who's sent email to him, etc. They don't have to monitor what he's actually doing.

This is akin to a telephone company's obligation to store the numbers a customer calls and the numbers that call him. The telephone company doesn't have to actually record the content of calls.

OP: I understand that you don't want a shell account on a US-based server. But I'm going to recommend sdf.lonestar.org (aka freeshell.org) anyway. For a nominal charge ($1 last time I checked) you get a shell on one of a network of DEC Alphas running NetBSD, TOPS-20 and Symbolics GENERA. There's no problem connecting from an Ubuntu machine. This is done over ssh, telnet (if you want to for some reason) or via US-based dial-up. For more info, go check their website at sdf.lonestar.org.

Warpnow
November 12th, 2009, 01:07 AM
Ok.
But nobody here knows shell providers, or lives, outside EU/USA? ):P ???

Go through this list: http://www.bylur.net/free/

agnes
November 12th, 2009, 09:00 PM
Nice but it doesn't list the country of residence of the providers.

Anyway I found some paid services in South Africa (completely forgot about that country even though Ubuntu comes from it, and they speak English) which happen to be quite cheap, because of the exchange rate.

http://www.linuxbox.co.za/signup.php e.g. seems trustworthy, and they accept euros or dollars too.