PDA

View Full Version : RAR popularity over 7z

infestor
November 10th, 2009, 12:52 AM
afaik 7zip has better compression ratios than rar and it is LGPL licensed, not proprietary like rar.
how come majority still sticks with rar? (people dont like to change?)

Exershio
November 10th, 2009, 12:54 AM
The majority of people I know, even a lot of power users, have never even heard of 7zip.

I personally use it, but most people use WinRAR since that's what they're familiar with. It already works for them so why bother trying something new?

samjh
November 10th, 2009, 02:01 AM
RAR has been more popular for longer on Windows. 7zip (or more correctly, the LZMA compression algorithm) is pretty obscure. It has never been marketed.

Chronon
November 10th, 2009, 02:03 AM
7-zip is my favorite archiving software for Windows.

ratcheer
November 10th, 2009, 02:03 AM
I don't know. I have used 7zip for a long time.

Tim

pwnst*r
November 10th, 2009, 03:28 AM
afaik 7zip has better compression ratios than rar and it is LGPL licensed, not proprietary like rar.
how come majority still sticks with rar? (people dont like to change?)

uh. Windows users. you figure out the rest.

Windows Nerd
November 10th, 2009, 03:42 AM
Because RAR came first, people liked it, got WinRAR (which has a fully functioning trail version by the way, and the trial never runs out) and liked its ease of use. Until a couple months ago I would have said 7z was seven ZIP files. IF 7z actually marketed it would become more popular quicker.

Warpnow
November 10th, 2009, 03:54 AM
Does 7zip have multi-archive support? That's why rar seems more popular than zip nowadays I think, because of all the rapidshare like places that only allow 100mb files.

MasterNetra
November 10th, 2009, 03:58 AM
I came acrossed 7zip even before my enlightenment to Linux. I still use it on both Windows and Linux.

Bungo Pony
November 10th, 2009, 04:36 AM
I rarely used RAR in the past. I used ACE a lot. I don't do a lot of compression anymore, since floppies are gone the way of the dinosaur and transferring large files across the internet isn't as hellish as it used to be. When I absolutely need to compress, I just use the typical ZIP file.

blueshiftoverwatch
November 10th, 2009, 05:44 AM
7-zip is my favorite archiving software for Windows.
Same.

jdong
November 10th, 2009, 05:46 AM
Well I think the biggest reason is RAR was here first...

Although 7zip compression ratio is better, I've found that its RAM usage and time consumed to compress noncompressible data is far worse than that of RAR.

However with that said, if you look around, people tend not to choose their software based solely on technical merits :)

CharmyBee
November 10th, 2009, 05:50 AM
Does 7zip have multi-archive support?
Yes.

WinRAR's only popular from word-of-mouth and lots of kids using it these days, and if you're quick or just use the shell extension functionality, the registration nag screen won't bother you (unlike WinZIP, which must nag for every single execution of itself). Part of that is the reason of its popularity.