PDA

View Full Version : Why is my netbook sooo slow?

The Funkbomb
November 10th, 2009, 12:37 AM
Okay, so my netbook is very slow. I'm not talking about a little lag. I'm also not talking about using complex programs or 3d shooters.

I'm talking about every day use. Surfing the web, checking email, etc.

Let me tell you about my netbook and some of the stuff I've tried.

I'm using a Dell Inspiron 1010. It has an atom z520 (1.66mhz dual core) and 1gb of memory.

It came with XP and it was unbearably slow.

I tried Ubuntu 9.04 and 9.10 which was better than XP but still very slow.

I tried Xubuntu 9.10 which was better still.

Next up was Masonux (project by Earthpigg. Ubuntu with LXDE) which was a little better but still lagged.

All of the linux distros maxed out the CPU. Some were worse than others.

The worst were Ubuntu Netbook Remix and Ubuntu Moblin Remix. Both were completely unusable. After logging in, the lag was unbearable. On Moblin, it would take five seconds of hovering over an icon, just for the screen to register a change. Clicking on a icon would take 30 seconds for the change to even go into effect. I didn't even make it to the internet with Moblin.

Right now, I'm putting XP on there. I'm going to update the bios and overclock it a bit. Both are easier through windows than on linux.

I'm stumped. My results are obviously atypical, otherwise people would have thrown these things out the window by now. Maybe I just got a defective one?

dragos240
November 10th, 2009, 12:40 AM
Hmm.... try something like awesome.

snowpine
November 10th, 2009, 12:43 AM
The Dell Mini 10 uses the GMA500 "Pouslbo" graphics, which is notoriously problematic with Linux. There are many, many threads on the topic here on Ubuntu Forums (use the Search). Have you tried the Dell version of Ubuntu 8.04 that they offer as a pre-installed option? I believe it comes with the correct driver (I use the well-supported Mini 9 myself, so I can't help beyond that.)

The Funkbomb
November 10th, 2009, 12:47 AM
Hmm.... try something like awesome.

Not really sure what that is.

The Dell Mini 10 uses the GMA500 "Pouslbo" graphics, which is notoriously problematic with Linux. There are many, many threads on the topic here on Ubuntu Forums (use the Search). Have you tried the Dell version of Ubuntu 8.04 that they offer as a pre-installed option?

I did not get their ubuntu version disk with my netbook. I will see if I can find a version online or if I can find a fix.

snowpine
November 10th, 2009, 12:50 AM
Good luck, it sounds for sure like an issue with the graphics driver (the clue is "it would take five seconds of hovering over an icon, just for the screen to register a change").

The Funkbomb
November 10th, 2009, 12:51 AM
Okay, I'm downloading the 8.04 dell version. We'll see what happens with this.

The Funkbomb
November 10th, 2009, 12:54 AM
If it's something this simple, I'm going to cry lol