PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Automatically connect to my router upon startup?

kerbitroy
November 9th, 2009, 10:13 PM
I am running Ubuntu 9.04 on my laptop with Windows 7 (I "dual booted" using WIMP to try out Ubuntu). I can connect to my router fine, but I have to do so manually everytime I boot to Ubuntu. Is there any way of getting this to happen automatically? Thanks in advance, Kerbitroy.

t0mppa
November 10th, 2009, 12:11 AM
Sure there is, but first you need to tell a bit more information about how you're connecting to your router. Is your connection wired or wireless? What are you using to configure your connection (Network Manager, WICD, Wifi Radar, /etc/network/interfaces, CLI or perhaps something else)?

kerbitroy
November 10th, 2009, 10:58 PM
It is a wireless router, I connect via the network connection symbol at the top right corner (no idea if this has a name). All I had to do to connect the first time was search for a network, put in my password for the router and it connected fine. Although upon startup I have to click this same icon and click on the network to connect.

mr_steve
November 10th, 2009, 11:36 PM
It is a wireless router, I connect via the network connection symbol at the top right corner (no idea if this has a name). All I had to do to connect the first time was search for a network, put in my password for the router and it connected fine. Although upon startup I have to click this same icon and click on the network to connect.

Sure, right click on that icon, click edit connections. Find your wireless connection and click edit. There'll be a box that says "Connect automatically" or something along those lines.

t0mppa
November 11th, 2009, 12:49 AM
That icon would be for Network Manager and like mr_steve already said, you just need to edit the connection details to make it happen.

kerbitroy
November 12th, 2009, 12:23 AM
Sure, right click on that icon, click edit connections. Find your wireless connection and click edit. There'll be a box that says "Connect automatically" or something along those lines.

That icon would be for Network Manager and like mr_steve already said, you just need to edit the connection details to make it happen.
Cheers guys, I feel silly now :D

Iowan
November 12th, 2009, 01:17 AM
Connect at startup or login? There's a subtle difference - or used to be (Jaunty).

kerbitroy
November 20th, 2009, 10:50 PM
Connect at startup or login? There's a subtle difference - or used to be (Jaunty).
Login

Iowan
November 21st, 2009, 12:14 AM
mr_steve and t0mppa help you get it solved - or is it still a problem?