PDA

View Full Version : Zenix - Ubuntu Buddhist Edition - Linux for Enlightened Beings

bodhi.zazen
November 9th, 2009, 10:10 PM
http://zenix-os.net/imgs/Zenix_logo2.png

Announcing Zenix

I would like to announce Zenix to the Ubuntu Commuinty.

Zenix is a custom Ubuntu respin with a Buddhist Theme.

The goals of the project are :

Community - We would like to continue the tradition of an Ubuntu "Buddhist Edition". This is achieved primarily via themes and the inclusion of Buddhist Bookmarks in Firefox. The Buddhist content is "soft" and for non-Buddhists should be non-intrusive.
Security - Zenix includes an active firewall (iptables configured with GUFW) and AppArmor is configured out of the box (with custom profiles for network aware applications).
Compatibility with Ubuntu - Zenix uses the standard Ubuntu repositories and we hope to release Zenix in sync with Ubuntu.

I would like to thank all those who assisted with development and testing !!

Additional information :

Home page (http://zenix-os.net/)

Zenix Features (http://zenix-os.net/index.php?nav=features)

Screen shots (http://zenix-os.net/index.php?nav=screenshots)

Launchpad (https://launchpad.net/zenix)

Zenix contribitors (https://launchpad.net/%7Ezenix-shravaka)

Zenix Forums (http://forums.zenix-os.net)

IRC - We have a channel on IRC on freenode (irc.freenode.net) or Ubuntu Servers at #Zenix

All are welcome to join the Zenix Team. If you would like to become involved with the project please send me a PM or join us on #Zenix.

The Zenix iso are available from :

Zenix 32 bit (http://bodhizazen.fivebean.net/Zenix-9.10-i386.iso)

Zenix 64 bit (http://bodhizazen.fivebean.net/Zenix-9.10-amd64.iso)

Thank you to fivebean (http://fivebean.com/) for hosting the iso.

Raidsong
November 9th, 2009, 10:12 PM
simply fantastic!

s.fox
November 9th, 2009, 10:14 PM
As promised I will host the final iso's as a mirror :)

Somme
November 9th, 2009, 10:34 PM
Screenshots page is useless unless you add some in action type screenshots - it would definitely help people decide whether it's worth trying or not.

Viva
November 9th, 2009, 10:58 PM
Is there a torrent?

Mornedhel
November 9th, 2009, 11:17 PM
There's an e17 joke to be made in there...

bodhi.zazen
November 9th, 2009, 11:18 PM
We will add some mirrors and torrents.

Chronon
November 10th, 2009, 09:30 PM
Strangely, while I wasn't able to use either Ubuntu or Kubuntu 64-bit LiveCD, the Zenix one worked nicely. I am now running a 64-bit system thanks to Zenix.

BobLand
November 10th, 2009, 09:31 PM
Bhuddists need nothing

Chronon
November 10th, 2009, 09:33 PM
Let's keep the religion in our homes. ;)

Forum rules prohibit discussing religious ideas here.

Deicider
November 10th, 2009, 09:38 PM
i wouldn't call it "for enlightened".

Chronon
November 10th, 2009, 09:43 PM
i wouldn't call it "for enlightened".

True, it uses XFCE.

syntr
November 10th, 2009, 10:15 PM
Isn't there an Ubuntu Christian Edition too?
I don't quite understand why religions have their own Ubuntu remixes...

NoaHall
November 10th, 2009, 10:16 PM
Let's keep the religion in our homes. ;)

Forum rules prohibit discussing religious ideas here.

This. You can't have one rules for us, and another set for you. If you post a thread, you have comply to the same rules as us.

KiwiNZ
November 10th, 2009, 10:20 PM
This. You can't have one rules for us, and another set for you. If you post a thread, you have comply to the same rules as us.

This is for staff to decide.

Please restrict discussion to the Remix edition only.

Thank you

Chronon
November 10th, 2009, 10:23 PM

My response was intended to keep discussion about the Remix rather than about any religious ideas that may accompany it. A remix is not a religion and discussing a remix doesn't break any forum rule.

skillllllz
November 10th, 2009, 10:23 PM
Is this an official remix?

NoaHall
November 10th, 2009, 10:24 PM
This is for staff to decide.

Thank you

Then you have decided wrong.
It should be moved to 3rd Party Projects.
Might I just quote -

Discussions on religion and politics are not allowed

BTW, I have nothing against the project, it's a good one. I like it. It's just not the right place to post on it.
skilllz: It's not a official project (not funded by canonical)

KiwiNZ
November 10th, 2009, 10:27 PM
Might I just quote -

BTW, I have nothing against the project, it's a good one. I like it. It's just not the right place to post on it.
skilllz: It's not a official project.

Again that is a staff decision and not a discussion for here.

syntr
November 10th, 2009, 10:29 PM
Is this an official remix?

No.

Chronon
November 10th, 2009, 10:29 PM
Might I just quote -

skilllz: It's not a official project (not funded by canonical)

There are already other threads in Community Cafe about other people's remixes.

By the way, a remix != a religion. One is a modified version of Ubuntu. The other is a codified set of beliefs or ideas. One does not equal the other and I don't see anything in the forum rules that prohibits the discussion of the former. Can you point out the rampant discussion of religion here? I don't see it.

NoaHall
November 10th, 2009, 10:33 PM
There are already other threads in Community Cafe about other people's remixes.

By the way, a remix != a religion. One is a modified version of Ubuntu. The other is a codified set of beliefs or ideas. One does not equal the other and I don't see anything in the forum rules that prohibits the discussion of the former. Can you point out the rampant discussion of religion here? I don't see it.

I would answer, but I don't want to annoy the mods - they have some thinking they need to do. Post the So... thread. I'll answer there, so the point isn't taken away from the remix.

KiwiNZ
November 10th, 2009, 10:35 PM
I will state this once more...

Any further thread drifting or hijacking and I will issue infractions

Thank you

Shibblet
November 10th, 2009, 10:45 PM
I will state this once more...

Any further thread drifting or hijacking and I will issue infractions

Thank you

Okay, I will ask what everyone else is thinking, within the discussion of the Remix Edition.

Is this for real?

KiwiNZ
November 10th, 2009, 10:49 PM
Okay, I will ask what everyone else is thinking, within the discussion of the Remix Edition.

Is this for real?

Refer post #1 does it look fake ?

I am not involved with the remix but I can assure you that those who are are not about to waste peoples time.

Chronon
November 10th, 2009, 10:56 PM
I did reply already that I successfully installed this (last night). This was the only way I found to install 64-bit Karmic, since both Kubuntu and Ubuntu LiveCDs wouldn't boot on my machine.

bodhi.zazen
November 10th, 2009, 11:19 PM
I did reply already that I successfully installed this (last night). This was the only way I found to install 64-bit Karmic, since both Kubuntu and Ubuntu LiveCDs wouldn't boot on my machine.

Thank you for giving Zenix a try, I am happy to hear it worked for you.

Feel free to stop by the IRC channel if you wish =)

Chronon
November 10th, 2009, 11:24 PM
Thanks. I will when I get a chance.

bodhi.zazen
November 11th, 2009, 01:01 AM
Is there a torrent?

We added some torrents, torrent speed should be good =)

Thank you talsemgeest =)

Zenix i386 torrent (http://talsemgeest.doesntexist.com/Zenix-9.10-i386.iso.torrent)
Zenix amd64 torrent (http://talsemgeest.doesntexist.com/Zenix-9.10-amd64.iso.torrent)

Paqman
November 11th, 2009, 02:13 AM
Cooking up some CD art and knocking out some CDs to your local sangha could be a good way spread the word.

andrew.46
November 11th, 2009, 08:12 AM
Edit: Oops.... just read Kiwinz's post :).

But I will take this opportunity to wish the Zenix team all the best!

Andrew

handy
November 11th, 2009, 09:19 AM
Congratulations bodhi.zazen & team.

You already knew it wasn't easy, (even before you got into creating your distro).

Now you get hit with the it ain't easy (as in the lack of public popular acceptance) part... (of course that depends on which part of the world your audience is located) :)

The inherent chauvinism that belongs to the vast majority of the developed world's population is the prime reason why you will experience negative responses on this forum. (imho)...

We are it, we were it, we will be it. :KS (yes, I know some of the ways the it will be misinterpreted.)

After 50 plus years of observation (in this life), I consider humanity as a whole, (& it does get tricky here ;)) to be dumb as dog sheet.

The above statement is very easily verified by anyone who takes a moment to have a look at the results of our (humanities' = us) endeavours... (our history in other words)

I also understand why we keep thinking that this is the best game in town.

Though I know that there also exist other towns. Which is of course a subject impossible to talk about. :)

Anyway, well done again I say. :D :KS

Hey, & also, don't think that I'm being negative?

I know who we really are... :KS

Infinite bliss is boring, therefore the restless multiplicity exists! ;)

bodhi.zazen
November 12th, 2009, 12:10 AM
Thanks andrew.46 (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=208550) and handy (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=55341) . Yes it is more work then one might imagine, but it has been one heck of a learning opportunity.

We have a great community, I guess we are not going for large or popular.

Zenix seems to work well for most and we have had a lot of positive feedback.

handy
November 12th, 2009, 04:14 AM
Thanks back at you. :)

I look at my previous post & see quite a mixture of stating the obvious & the not so obvious.

It was an interesting night... ;)

The next time I install Ubuntu, it will be the Zenix flavour without a doubt. :D =D>

bodhi.zazen
November 13th, 2009, 05:18 PM
fivebean tracks hits and the Zenix iso have received just over 7,300 hits in the month of November.

:shock:

Anyone needing assistance or wanting to give feedback, positive or negative, can use our IRC channel and or Zenix Forums (the Zenix forums are obviously slow).

:popcorn:

guriinii
November 13th, 2009, 05:45 PM
Can somebody please clarify something for me?
I don't quite understand this religious remix malarkey. Is there something within Ubuntu that offends people of a religious persuasion? Or have I misunderstood the concept of a remix?

Paqman
November 13th, 2009, 06:48 PM
Can somebody please clarify something for me?
I don't quite understand this religious remix malarkey. Is there something within Ubuntu that offends people of a religious persuasion? Or have I misunderstood the concept of a remix?

It's not that people feel they have to customise Linux, it's that they are free to do so for whatever reason they choose.

paultag
November 16th, 2009, 01:05 AM
Looking outstanding. It warms my heart to see an Ubuntu distro run so well on old hardware.

I've said it before and I'll say it again -- I am humbled by you Bodhi :)

s.fox
November 18th, 2009, 04:12 PM
I have created a mirror for Zenix. It can be found here (http://serial-coder.co.uk/blog/zenix-downloads) .

bodhi.zazen
November 19th, 2009, 12:12 AM
I have created a mirror for Zenix. It can be found here (http://serial-coder.co.uk/blog/zenix-downloads) .

Thank you Silver_fox

Torrents were updated today as well, we have 2 web seeds, so torrents should be fast.

bodhi.zazen
November 30th, 2009, 11:51 PM
I am *starting* to look at Zenix 10.04 - Any suggestions for the next release ?

I am going to look at including LXDE and perhaps E17.

HappinessNow
December 1st, 2009, 03:45 AM
I am *starting* to look at Zenix 10.04 - Any suggestions for the next release ?

I am going to look at including LXDE and perhaps E17.Both LXDE and e17 inclusion would be very, very nice.

Tux Aubrey
December 2nd, 2009, 11:33 AM
I am going to look at including LXDE and perhaps E17.

WooHoo! The next build of e17 should be very good (and may even be an official beta!)

bodhi.zazen
December 23rd, 2009, 07:27 PM
I would like to start development for 10.04 in January =)

Suggestions / artwork / developers welcome =)

Current plans :

1. Replace bfilter with privoxy.

2. Look at adding / themeing LXDE & E17

3. We will probably look at using brtfs =)

jayze
December 23rd, 2009, 09:10 PM
my kids will go for this right away:popcorn::P

Gizenshya
December 23rd, 2009, 09:44 PM
*ahem*

http://zenix-os.net/imgs/Zenix_logo2.png

The symbol used does not represent Buddhism- Zen or otherwise. Buddhism is practiced in China, among other places, but originated in India. The symbol you used, the Chinese Taoist 太極圖, has deep roots in Chinese culture and philosophy.

The use of the Taoist 太極圖 symbol to represent buddhism is erroneous, and can very easily lead to further propagation of the already rampant cultural and religious misunderstanding of East Asia. Of course, I do not feel this error was made on purpose. I just take it as another example of how people often misunderstand other cultures.

Now, that symbol would be a good representation of a Modern Chinese culture distro, which could happily include both philosophical bodies, as well as Confuscianism and others. Or, it could also represent an Eastern Heritage distro, that also includes Shinto and Hindu religions, for example.

A Chinese Heritage-based Distro could also use it, though Buddhism would likely feel like a fifth-wheel, because it originated elsewhere.

But, the use of that particular symbol to represent Buddhism, I feel, is not appropriate because it does not accurately attribute/credit ideas and philosophies.

Further, I think that either the symbol should be changed (or the distro broadened). I think it was an innocent mistake, but I also feel that to leave it as it is could be seen as socially irresponsible.

All that being said, I think the idea of this type of themed distro is great. Just a minor correction or two ;)

bodhi.zazen
December 23rd, 2009, 10:31 PM
*ahem*

As in my previous post we are accepting submissions for artwork / themes if you so desire.

running_rabbit07
January 3rd, 2010, 12:29 AM
I just installed Zenix in a VBox to test out before installing on the wife's system. I like it so far. If I install ubuntu-desktop or xubuntu-desktop will it mess up the Zenix functions?

"Thank you!" to everyone who participated in building this edition.

MasterNetra
January 3rd, 2010, 12:35 AM
O.o Confused. I would think that Buddhist wouldn't use computers, i mean isn't computers a distraction from the path of enlightenment or something? At any rate I tend to give it a run out of curiousity.

**Link to Direct Downloads are dead at least from my end, but torrent works. Will seed afterwards too.**

phillychease
January 3rd, 2010, 12:39 AM
Isn't there an Ubuntu Christian Edition too?
I don't quite understand why religions have their own Ubuntu remixes...

maybe because when people think of the buddhist religion they think of peace and tranquility. thats my approach.

vrkalak
January 3rd, 2010, 12:58 AM
I didn't know there was such an OS. But, I am over-joyed there is. :P

I am downloading Zenix now.

I love the Zen theme and the fact that it uses Xfce, by default.

Question: I have Xubuntu Lucid Alpha 1 already ... can I upgrade that to include the Zenix Repositories? Or do I need to do a 'fresh install' of Zenix?

Or can I add the Lucid 10.04 files/repros to Zenix?

bodhi.zazen
January 3rd, 2010, 08:12 AM
I just installed Zenix in a VBox to test out before installing on the wife's system. I like it so far. If I install ubuntu-desktop or xubuntu-desktop will it mess up the Zenix functions?

"Thank you!" to everyone who participated in building this edition.

I have not tried it, but I would guess that installing xubuntu-desktop would probably change some of the xfce defaults.

ubuntu-desktop would install gnome and a few gnome apps but would probably not change much of xfce.

Fluxbox would not be affected by either, but Zenix uses a custom Fluxbox menu, so the additional apps would not appear in the menu, you would either need to customize the fluxbox menu or generate a new one.

I didn't know there was such an OS. But, I am over-joyed there is. :P

I am downloading Zenix now.

I love the Zen theme and the fact that it uses Xfce, by default.

Question: I have Xubuntu Lucid Alpha 1 already ... can I upgrade that to include the Zenix Repositories? Or do I need to do a 'fresh install' of Zenix?

Or can I add the Lucid 10.04 files/repros to Zenix?

With the new year we are going to start work on Zenix 10.04 and of course are more then happy to accept any input or assistance.

As things are now, Zenix is as compatible with Ubuntu 9.10 as posible and is primarily a set of themes and firefox bookmarks. The Zenix repository is minimal and is a few apparmor profiles not in then Ubuntu repositories.

For Zenix we have talked about simply providing a "zenix-desktop" package, but what that would entail exactly needs to be determined (icons, themes, background images, ff bookmarks, etc, etc ... ).

If you are interested, we have an IRC channel, on Freenode #zenix.

If you need assistance with IRC, let me know =)

We also have a small forums if you wish :

http://forums.zenix-os.net/

TironN
January 3rd, 2010, 08:51 AM
Brilliant!! Being in a Buddhist country now I can really see where it all ties into the Ubuntu and Linux ideals!

Khakilang
January 3rd, 2010, 09:48 AM
Zenix sound like one of the Unix like OS. Or is it Xenix?

Viva
March 9th, 2010, 03:59 AM
Is this project still alive?

bodhi.zazen
March 9th, 2010, 07:28 AM
Is this project still alive?

Yes

importControl.Mind
March 9th, 2010, 10:50 AM
I'll try not to sound rude but, why not just make a meta-package?
From what I got off the site, it's just some artwork,themes, and some added software. This would take a lot less resources and it's wouldn't add to the fragmentation of Linux distros.

May I also add that the logo has the Yin and yang sign in it; which is Taoism symbol. Yes, concepts like Yin and yang can be found in Buddhism, but they do not use Yin and yang.

bodhi.zazen
March 9th, 2010, 08:17 PM
I'll try not to sound rude but, why not just make a meta-package?
From what I got off the site, it's just some artwork,themes, and some added software. This would take a lot less resources and it's wouldn't add to the fragmentation of Linux distros.

May I also add that the logo has the Yin and yang sign in it; which is Taoism symbol. Yes, concepts like Yin and yang can be found in Buddhism, but they do not use Yin and yang.

You are more then welcome to contribute to the project if you like. We are accepting contributions / artwork, and if you are a developer and willing to package, that would be awesome as well.

As far as your other comments, it is obvious you have not tried Zenix. Why don't you download it and take it for a spin, then, if you have constructive feedback, we would love to hear from you.

bodhi.zazen
March 10th, 2010, 05:07 PM
If anyone is curious about Zenix:

We will start working on Zenix 10.05 when Ubuntu 10.04 Beta 1 is released. There is a 1 month delay as it is hard to develop an OS in sync with Ubuntu during the development process. I did this with Zenix 9.10 , and one of the Betas (first or second ?) broke a number of packages. Such is running a development release, but it ijust that much more difficult to try to develop Zenix when the base OS, in this case 10.04, is changing so rapidly.

Right now we are taking suggestions for 10.05 , as well as contributions from the community in terms of art work, anyone interested in learning to package, etc.

If you wish to leave suggestions see:

http://forums.zenix-os.net/viewforum.php?f=3

If you wish to become active with the project, now is the time. We are on IRC and are at

Freenode or Ubuntu Servers , channel #zenix.

Right now we are working on the web site, changing the theme, moving away from both Ubuntu and the Yin Yang, and working on a package list.

The changes that have been suggested include:

1. s/bfilter/privoxy
2. Adding an alternate web browser (firefox will remain).
3. cream (graphical enhancement to gvim).
4. possibly adding LXDE. It depends on how difficult it is to theme LXDE.
5. Possibly adding Enlightenment. It depends on how difficult it is to theme enlightenment.
6. Moving the Buddhist bookmarks to a web page.

If anyone it interested in contributing, particularly with themes/customization of LXDE or enlightenment feel free to contact the Zenix Team;

mobilediesel
October 8th, 2010, 04:35 AM
I'd be interested in seeing Zenix use Openbox instead of Fluxbox since it's still actively developed. Fluxbox has had little to almost no activity over the past 2 years.

paultag
October 8th, 2010, 04:40 AM
I'd be interested in seeing Zenix use Openbox instead of Fluxbox since it's still actively developed. Fluxbox has had little to almost no activity over the past 2 years.

No, that's wrong.

I'm upstream. Check http://git.fluxbox.org/, there has not been a point release in two years. The code in Debian Unstable is just a few weeks old. Don't stop using it just because of that ;)

If you want to see it week by week, check out http://github.com/paultag/fluxbox/graphs/impact

Thanks!
Paul

mobilediesel
October 8th, 2010, 06:09 AM
No, that's wrong.

I'm upstream. Check http://git.fluxbox.org/, there has not been a point release in two years. The code in Debian Unstable is just a few weeks old. Don't stop using it just because of that ;)

If you want to see it week by week, check out http://github.com/paultag/fluxbox/graphs/impact

Thanks!
Paul

I might have to give Fluxbox a try again. I've been using Openbox with Tint2 for awhile now. If I remember right, Fluxbox has a panel built in so I wouldn't need Tint2, not that Tint2 uses much CPU or RAM.

I do appreciate that, rather than merely telling me I had it wrong, you pointed me to the correct information.

paultag
October 8th, 2010, 06:28 AM
I might have to give Fluxbox a try again. I've been using Openbox with Tint2 for awhile now. If I remember right, Fluxbox has a panel built in so I wouldn't need Tint2, not that Tint2 uses much CPU or RAM.

I do appreciate that, rather than merely telling me I had it wrong, you pointed me to the correct information.

Oh sure. You can get the nightly builds in our PPA as well.

https://code.launchpad.net/~fluxbox-maintainers/+archive/fluxbox-bloody

Bug reports welcome :)

dede468
November 2nd, 2012, 07:19 PM
I downloaded Zenix but I see there is a password required for installation. Can anybody tell me what it is?