PDA

View Full Version : Help with mounting to USB

spect3r
November 9th, 2009, 09:47 PM
Hi everyone,

I want to install the netbook remix on a toshiba nb200 (no cd drive), so I need to write the iso to a thumbdrive. I am doing the mount in windows.

I downloaded virtual clone drive and mounted the ubuntu iso to a virtual drive (J:)

The thumbdrive is formatted 4GB FAT32.

When I run the usb-creator.exe included in the ubuntu cd/iso, I get the following error:

An uncaught exception was raised: [Errno 13] Permission Denied.

I have tried to follow the tutorial here (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/FromUSBStick#Prepare the USB Drive), but I get stuck on the above...

Any idea/help? Thanks!

teward
November 9th, 2009, 09:49 PM
are you running the image burn as an administrator on the Windows computer?

spect3r
November 9th, 2009, 09:55 PM
are you running the image burn as an administrator on the Windows computer?

You bet.. on both virtual clone and usb-creator... (right click runas/administrator)

darkod
November 9th, 2009, 10:04 PM
usb-creator from the netbook remix image of 9.10 didn't work for me anyway. Not on Vista and not on 7. Even running as admin didn't help, the Make button is grayed out.

Another easy way to create bootable USB stick with ubuntu is:
1. Go on google and find and download unetbootin software. It's free.
2. Run the software and it will let you select ISO option, then select the remix image.
3. In the list of available USB thumb drives, select the correct one.
4. Click on Ok and you're done. At the end do not select reboot, just exit the program.

Now, if you want the original ubuntu menu present at start, open the USB drive and do the following:
1. In the root, rename the syslinux.cfg file to syslinux.old
2. In the folder isolinux find and rename isolinux.bin to syslinux.bin, isolinux.cfg to syslinux.cfg
3. Go back and rename the whole folder isolinux to syslinux

The USB stick will boot up into the standard ubuntu menu, first option Try Ubuntu, second Install Ubuntu, etc

PS. All of the above is done in windows of course.

spect3r
November 9th, 2009, 10:19 PM
Holy crap! Talk about quick replies.. thanks guys. I will try your solution and let you know how it goes! ;)

spect3r
November 9th, 2009, 10:25 PM
Yes, darkod, that worked. Thank you!!!

Mark as solved :)

darkod
November 9th, 2009, 10:37 PM
No problem. Glad I could help.

I forgot to mention earlier but if I were you (or the user of the netbook), I would choose the option Try Ubuntu first. To see if it will work and whether you like it.

Then I would also download the desktop 32bit image and use unetbootin to put it on the USB stick (after formatting it). Then try how you like the regular desktop version.

There is a difference in the layout and it's up to personal preference.

I installed remix without checking how desktop looks like, and didn't like it. So after I had to install desktop again over it. :)

The desktop version works just fine on a netbook too.

leorolla
November 10th, 2009, 11:35 AM
usb-creator from the netbook remix image of 9.10 didn't work for me anyway. Not on Vista and not on 7. Even running as admin didn't help, the Make button is grayed out.

Another easy way to create bootable USB stick with ubuntu is:
1. Go on google and find and download unetbootin software. It's free.
2. Run the software and it will let you select ISO option, then select the remix image.
3. In the list of available USB thumb drives, select the correct one.
4. Click on Ok and you're done. At the end do not select reboot, just exit the program.

Now, if you want the original ubuntu menu present at start, open the USB drive and do the following:
2. In the folder isolinux find and rename isolinux.bin to syslinux.bin, isolinux.cfg to syslinux.cfg

The USB stick will boot up into the standard ubuntu menu, first option Try Ubuntu, second Install Ubuntu, etc

PS. All of the above is done in windows of course.

Thanks for the hints!

Do you know a *general* tool for making a Live USB (or a live partition of a USB) from any ISO file, so that the USB behaves "as if" it were the CD, besides Unetbootin+tweaks?

wilee-nilee
November 10th, 2009, 11:55 AM
Thanks for the hints!

Do you know a *general* tool for making a Live USB (or a live partition of a USB) from any ISO file, so that the USB behaves "as if" it were the CD, besides Unetbootin+tweaks?

You might want to start your own thread on this, I suspect there isn't a load any ISO to USB tool, I was unable to get the USB creator in UBUNTU to put Puppy Linux on a USB.

leorolla
November 10th, 2009, 01:42 PM
Hi Darkod,

In

Did you miss

4. Move syslinux.cfg from syslinux/ to the root

?

I did that with gParted and it worked flawlessly.