PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Worth upgrading? Feedback.

kaldor
November 9th, 2009, 08:07 PM
Sorry if this is in the wrong spot!

I am wondering if it is worth the upgrade to 9.10, or should I stick with my current installation instead? Ubuntu has always been a breeze to me, but 8.10 is not cutting it for me anymore. I dislike being a slave to the package manager (needing work-arounds to get newer software, for example) and other things like that.

8.10 is also not as stable for me as it was in the past; I have problems with playing DVD discs now (if I pop in a movie, Totem/VLC/Kaffeine will crash and my laptop overheat to the point it will shut off. That is a new problem. Java is also very crappy for me right now. For some reason, Java web applications are always so slow and crashes all of my browsers (Firefox, Swiftweasel, Opera, Seamonkey) after a short time. Lots of little problems like this, all new.

Instead of fixing little irritants and working around everything, is 9.10 worth the upgrade? I am thinking that instead of fixing what I have, I will just back up important stuff and wipe my laptop clean.

My system specs are as follows. All of these work 100% flawlessly on Ubuntu out of the box. How does this compare to Karmic?

-Computer-
Processor : 2x Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T5550 @ 1.83GHz
Memory : 2071MB (442MB used)
Operating System : Ubuntu 8.10
User Name : michael
Date/Time : Mon 09 Nov 2009 15:35:17 NST
-Display-
Resolution : 1280x800 pixels
OpenGL Renderer : GeForce 8400M GS/PCI/SSE2
X11 Vendor : The X.Org Foundation
-Multimedia-
Audio Adapter : HDA-Intel - HDA Intel
-Input Devices-
Macintosh mouse button emulation
AT Translated Set 2 keyboard
Power Button (FF)
Lid Switch
Sleep Button (CM)
Video Bus
Video Bus
PS/2 Mouse
HP Webcam
AlpsPS/2 ALPS GlidePoint
PC Speaker
Logitech USB-PS/2 Optical Mouse
-Printers-
No printers found
-IDE Disks-
-SCSI Disks-
ATA WDC WD2500BEVS-6
Slimtype DVD A DS8A1H

Sorry for the long post, and I appreciate your help :)

sc30317
November 9th, 2009, 08:27 PM
fresh install 9.10

Sef
November 9th, 2009, 08:45 PM
Run the Live CD for a while and see if any problems occur. Even if all is fine with the live cd, during the upgrade problems can still occur.

kaldor
November 9th, 2009, 08:52 PM
Run the Live CD for a while and see if any problems occur. Even if all is fine with the live cd, during the upgrade problems can still occur.

I cannot enable my nvidia driver on the LiveCD. I assume this is because it is live, and not installed? Though, on OpenSolaris I can enable the driver on the Live session.

chicoharv
November 9th, 2009, 08:58 PM
I went from 9.04 with an upgrade to 9.10. I had a few problems with the down load so I made a cd of 9.10 and did a new install. everything is great. I have one Acer laptop with 9.10 stand alone, one HP pc with dual boot with XP PRO and a acer laptop with Vista and 9.10 dual boot. My trouble with the on line update might have been caused because 9.04 was within windows. I recommend the stand alone or dual boot methods not the within windows for long term use.

howefield
November 9th, 2009, 09:01 PM
I cannot enable my nvidia driver on the LiveCD. I assume this is because it is live, and not installed?

No, it is because you do not know how to.

Search the forum, there are a few howtos that will help.

grndplane
November 9th, 2009, 09:26 PM
I would upgrade to Juanty 9.04 and stay there for a while until all the bugs are worked out of Karmic 9.10 My experience with Karmic was Xine, VLC, Mplayers all would not play video, audio was broken, and my system seemed to randomly crash, and require power to be removed. I am on Mint 7 now and everything is working fine, so I may skip this release entirely.

Ginsu543
November 10th, 2009, 07:54 AM
I too would recommend that you upgrade at least to 9.04. Jaunty has been rock solid for me and was a huge upgrade from 8.10 on my machine. While I did experience week and a half's worth of headaches installing 9.10, now that it's finally installed and working properly it is quite a nice OS. Karmic has fixed some of the minor video glitches I experience with my ATI graphics card in Jaunty and has more of the programs I use already in the repositories than Jaunty.