PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] 9.04 > 9.10 - Networking Messed Up

ravingmad
November 9th, 2009, 07:58 PM
Upgrade went ok or so I thought. Cannot get my second IP to ping now and it was working before upgrade, have tried reconfiguring networking but nada.

another big problem >> the entire server will not ping unless I log in?? I assume that is not by design but clearly something is very wrong.

How can I delete all networking and start from scratch?

ravingmad
November 9th, 2009, 08:40 PM
bump

nunki
November 9th, 2009, 09:24 PM
Are your interfaces managed through network-manager or the interfaces file? Whats the output of ifconfig?

I had a similar problem to this where many programs that auto-started at boot didnt carry over during the upgrade. I had to log in before network-manager would start, ssh, tor, etc.

ravingmad
November 9th, 2009, 10:07 PM
I don't know but now things are all screwed up. I'm running Ubuntu under VMware so I reverted to a snapshot BUT now my networking is still screwed, does not make sense but that's what I am faced with.

If I open interfaces with vi, it's blank
If I try adding interfaces using vi it won;t let me write the file E212
If I add connections using network manager none of them work
BUT when I do an ifconfig the interfaces are there.

I now have 25 sites down for almost 24 hours and I am losing my sense of humour fast.

Anyone please help me to get my networking deleted and reset from scratch, PLEASE !!!!!

nunki
November 9th, 2009, 10:24 PM
Hmm..Im a bit unfamiliar with network-manager, but you may try and restart it. You should be able to type

sudo /etc/init.d/network-manager start

Perhaps if there are errors you will see some output that could help diagnose the issue.

ravingmad
November 9th, 2009, 10:33 PM
sudo /etc/init.d/network-manager start

I tried that Nunki but it says "command not found"

nunki
November 9th, 2009, 10:34 PM
I may have misspelled it. It may be spelled networking-manager as opposed to network-manager.

ravingmad
November 9th, 2009, 11:14 PM
I may have misspelled it. It may be spelled networking-manager as opposed to network-manager.

Thanks Nunki but I tried that also and get "command not found"

If I try /etc/network/interfaces I get ignoring unknown interface eth0=eth0 but I have been messing around with the interfaces file in a desperate attempt to get my server back up.

I am the point of total despair now and feel totally in the dark and have been scoruing Google for 8 hours now without a simple solution on how to get my networking working again. I'm new to Ubuntu I admit but I have never in 22 years on Windows ever experienced such pains in doing such a very simple thing. Surely there must be a simple explanation to delete all networking and start from scratch other than a complete reinstall which is just not an option. I'm even willing to PAY for support if there is such a thing.

:(

nunki
November 9th, 2009, 11:22 PM
Ok, why dont you post the contents of /etc/network/interfaces and lets see if theres an issue there.

ravingmad
November 9th, 2009, 11:45 PM
Ok, why dont you post the contents of /etc/network/interfaces and lets see if theres an issue there.

Thanks for the quick replies Nunki, I seem to have gotten it working BUT have no real idea what I did to actually get it working and most of all I'm rather uncomfortable by what happened and no longer feel secure that it won't happen again.

What I did was the following:

edited the interfaces file (/etc/network/interfaces) and removed all but the following two lines

auto lo etho0 eth1
iface lo inet loopback

- then I rebooted, went into network manager and my two interfaces eth0 and eth1 appeared.
- then configured eth0 with my primary IP address and eth1 with my secondary IP
- rebooted and it still would not work
- deleted both eth0 and eth1 from network manager
- rebooted and this time reconfigured only eth0
- rebooted and now it works

My secondary IP is not really a problem for me right now and I am scared to touch anything right now in fear of breaking the whole damn lot again. I somehow think the second NIC has something to do with the problem so for now I am not touching it.

I would prefer to have it all configured using the "interfaces" file but earlier today I tried that and just had no luck in getting it working.

Now I have another problem, because it's configured using network manager now, it will not bring the network up unless I am logged in which is silly as it is a server and nobody should have to be logged in for networking and services to start up. Is there a way to start all these services without logging in? OR is there a concrete method to switch over to using the init.d/network/interfaces file without breaking my server for a whole day?

nunki
November 10th, 2009, 12:17 AM
I never had any luck with network-manager either. On my system I did the following to have everything managed through the interfaces file:

sudo apt-get purge -y network-manager-gnome

This removes network manager. Then I defined my interfaces in /etc/network/interfaces and rebooted.

Glad you got it working.

ravingmad
November 10th, 2009, 12:33 AM
I never had any luck with network-manager either. On my system I did the following to have everything managed through the interfaces file:

sudo apt-get purge -y network-manager-gnome

This removes network manager. Then I defined my interfaces in /etc/network/interfaces and rebooted.

Glad you got it working.

Thanks again, I will make a full backup of the Virtual machine and then try removing network manager, hopefully this time I will get it right, if not I will at least be able to get the working server back in a few minutes .... hopefully :)