PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installation of Ubuntu 9.10

DavyB
November 9th, 2009, 06:20 PM
I am trying to install UBUNTU 9.10. The sceen comes up with the alternatives on. IE over windows , install, check disk etc. Selecting and pressing enter produces no result. This is on Install and check Disk. All the F numbers work together with memory check. Is this a corrupt CD or should I be doing something. Looking at the Forum I can see I am going to be out of my depth with Ubuntu. I thought it might keep brain from fading away but I can see it probably already has.

darkod
November 9th, 2009, 06:26 PM
Sorry, but I didn't understand. How exactly are you trying to install?

Is it trough Windows (wubi.exe) or by booting with bootable CD/USB stick?

I am new to Ubuntu myself but I have installed/uninstalled plenty of times in the past few days. I'll help if I can.

DavyB
November 11th, 2009, 12:23 AM
Thanks Darkod,
It is using a boot CD from a downloaded file. I have since tried trying the Wubi.exe on my main computer as Ithought at least I could get some idea of Ubuntu but believe it or not this has not given me an ikon or any thing and seems to have disappeared except in the uninstal table. I am really p####d is it worth it?
Your help would be appreciated
DavyB

bradleypariah
November 11th, 2009, 12:45 AM
sounds like your disk is corrupted. a good disk will not only allow the auto-run wubi while in Windows, but you could also boot from it and choose to "try without making changes to your computer". maybe try to download a new ISO? and watch the tutorials on how to properly burn an ISO (if you haven't already)

DavyB
November 12th, 2009, 12:04 AM
It was me being rather stupid as my wife had switched on the computer and not told me until today of the choice of systems on boot up. As the meercats say "simple" just select Ubuntu and it installed OK. Feel a bit of an idiot.
Tryiing to instal on the spare computer, though after a few minutes it says it cannot instal because of no filing system or something along those lines. I think the HDDis formatted but otherwise empty. What file system does Ubuntu use? Shouldn't it sort all that sort thiing out like Windows?
If you are english you will under stand I am glad Valerie Singleton is giving advice to the elderly like me. It is so comforting to know which is the mouse and which is the keyboard.
Thanks
Bradley pariah