PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Dock for the side (Cairo, Awn etc...) ?

onyxwolf
November 9th, 2009, 06:07 PM
Hey all, I'm hesitant to install any dock programs (Cairo, Awn etc...) because I kinda like my current set up--

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_ReGMhHpqTE8/Ss-qyQhrHLI/AAAAAAAAABw/-B5McJU1LdI/s720/Screenshot.jpg

--with my launchers to the side, and keeping my lower gnome-panel. I would like a dock that either can be solely docking to the side or can at least perform the functions of my lower panel (window list, and definitely the workspace switcher) I heard that one of docks displays which programs have instances running, anyone know which one this is? And can you open a second instance of that program thru the dock's launcher?

Any suggestions are welcome, any help appreciated.

gpstar
November 9th, 2009, 09:07 PM
try gnome-do docky, it meets your requirements for a dock on the bottom of the screen. It shows which apps are running, can run more than one instance of the same ap from the launchers on the dock. Has extensive plugins, workspace switcher, etc.

http://do.davebsd.com/

onyxwolf
November 9th, 2009, 09:16 PM
Thanks! I'll check it out.

blur xc
November 9th, 2009, 09:38 PM
Tint2 might cut it for you. It's the default in Crunchbang. It's not a launcher, just a dock to list open apps. Very nice, works good w/ multiple workspaces as well. The crunchbang folks over at their forums are real big on it, and post all kinds of config files for their tint2's, kina like the conky mega thread over here.

I use awn, and you can configure one w/o any launchers as well, and it will just act as a task switcher/dock for minimized apps. Also, it has some applets. I use the pretty workspace switcher. It looks nice and is functional.

BM

onyxwolf
December 7th, 2009, 08:46 PM
After giving in and playing with most of the docks I can get a hold of, I've found that AWN would do everything I needed and was pretty reliable; however I settled with Cairo-dock because not only did it do everything I needed (a launcher panel replacement, an application switcher replacement, having a workspace switcher and like applets, and even being able to place the dock on the side vs. on the bottom), but it was also far more configurable (the indicator icon was what got me started, considering you could not change AWN bland grey arrow). I'll admit that it does crash from time to time (last was only when messing around with it repeatedly) so I have to keep an ugly launcher on my background to recover (because I got rid of gnome-panel altogether), but other than that its the best eye-candy for the buck (JK its free of course!)

fabounet
December 7th, 2009, 10:09 PM
Hi,
did you try the latest version of Cairo-Dock (2.1.2) ?
If so, feel free to report any bug at cairo-dock.org, it always help to make it better.
Thanks !

onyxwolf
December 15th, 2009, 06:26 PM
Sure have. I actually have my repository set to get updates for it. Really smooth still loving it. I did hit a couple snags but working in the Cairo-Dock Forums about it. Just figured out that one issue is that you can set it up to have two docks, which is awesome(see pics below), but If you're using compiz you can't set a dock on the side and have it auto-hide. I guess compiz retains the control of those side pixels so can't set the mouse to recall it. You can have it auto-hide for max and full-screen windows, but can't recall the side with the mouse then either; however, it will recall when that window is min, or closed.

As far as the newest version, I'm having an odd auto-hide issue but working with the C-Dock big dogs on their forum for it-- http://www.cairo-dock.org/bg_topic.php?t=3785&pos=0#mess_49294