PDA

View Full Version : I forgot my phone...

LowSky
November 9th, 2009, 05:03 PM
I forgot my cellphone when I left the house this morning for work. I didn't notice until I needed it to get a number from my contacts list. I'm remembering what life was like about 10 years ago, when I had to actually remember phone numbers or check email on dialup.

I kinda miss those days, well maybe not dialup. What about you guys?

Tibuda
November 9th, 2009, 05:07 PM
I forgot my cellphone when I left the house this morning for work. I didn't notice until I needed it to get a number from my contacts list. I'm remembering what life was like about 10 years ago, when I had to actually remember phone numbers or check email on dialup.

I kinda miss those days, well maybe not dialup. What about you guys?

Remember phone numbers? What about an address book?

http://www.radenterprises.co.uk/images/Pocket-Address-Book.jpg

pwnst*r
November 9th, 2009, 05:09 PM
Remember phone numbers? What about an address book?

because you have a phone ;)

to the OP - yeah, i did that the other day and felt disconnected and lost. freaking technology!!! also, i back up my contacts to a word doc and put that in dropbox.

Jguy
November 9th, 2009, 05:09 PM
haha, my blackberry is my lifeline. I store my entire life on there, so if I lose it, I might as well kill myself. If I forget it, I don't know what to do for half the day. XD

cascade9
November 9th, 2009, 05:10 PM
I'd a luddite with no mobile phone (cell phone for you US people), so its not that hard for me to imagine. I still have a nice cat 5 cable to my computer as well. :D

Tibuda
November 9th, 2009, 05:11 PM
because you have a phone ;)

But the OP was talking about the time you didn't had a phone that can store numbers and had to "remember phone numbers". At that time, an address book was really useful.

LowSky
November 9th, 2009, 07:11 PM
But the OP was talking about the time you didn't had a phone that can store numbers and had to "remember phone numbers". At that time, an address book was really useful.

yeah at the time, but I was 15 back then and I don't remember any teenagers carrying an address book. Heck I don't remember anyone carrying one. Address books are stored at home in a drawer or on a shelf so you could find the number to your aunt (or whoever) that you only talked to because it was their birthday.

Not having my Blackberry does stink. I cant check my email, use AIM or Google chat, update my Facebook status (most of this stuff is block by my company's internet policy), or call people whose numbers I couldn't tell you under any amount of torture, or play games while I'm bored in a meeting or between paperwork.

sports fan Matt
November 9th, 2009, 07:41 PM
Had forgotten mine in the back of mom's truck one friday. She lives about 4 miles north of me and since I can't drive (bad eyesight) and did not have a landline (costs more). No one could get ahold of me.

Step dad finally learned from my brother (fast forward to Tuesday night) that it was in the back of the truck..he gets it to me, but mom still called me, even though it was in the back of her truck..:lolflag:

koleoptero
November 9th, 2009, 07:44 PM
I forgot mine in a friend's car, he'll bring it tomorrow. I feel perfectly good without it. Don't know what I would do without my laptop though. :lolflag:

NFblaze
November 9th, 2009, 07:49 PM
Man oh man. I've thought about this like numerous times. I dont actually know anybodies numbers. The phones now-adays will display the name but not the number unless it's an unknown number. Yea, if I lost my phone I would only be able to call home, and my phone to find it.

What's really weird is how some people dont know their own phone numbers.

nothingspecial
November 9th, 2009, 07:56 PM
What's really weird is how some people dont know their own phone numbers.

What possible reason could I have to know my own number?????

And to answer the original question. I often leave my phone at home on purpose. Sometimes I like to be unreachable.

NFblaze
November 9th, 2009, 08:51 PM
So you dont know your own phone number?

You must never lose your phone then, also are you one of those persons that has to whip out there phone and look up there own telephone nubmer whenever someone asks you for it.

nothingspecial
November 9th, 2009, 10:11 PM

You must never lose your phone then, also are you one of those persons that has to whip out there phone and look up there own telephone nubmer whenever someone asks you for it.

yep

shoot me

t0p
November 9th, 2009, 10:23 PM
Because of work, I started using mobile phones (cellphones) relatively early. About 15 years ago. I never had one of those handsets the size of 2 housebricks taped together; but I did use the unbelievably insecure analogue systems that came before GSM. Back then you could eavedrop on calls with a simple radio scanner. Crazy.

When I get a new number it takes me weeks before I know it off by heart. And I never get to know anyone else's number. The age of computerized gadgets has made us all into superficial creatures with the memory of goldfish. Glub glub.

NFblaze
November 9th, 2009, 11:35 PM
Glub glub.

Glub Glub indeed hah hah.

benj1
November 9th, 2009, 11:49 PM
the best thing i remember about getting a mobile phone, was not having to have conversations to my girlfriend in the same room as my parents.

i don't even know my own phone number now, just a load of friends from high school and my parents.

cartman640
November 10th, 2009, 12:45 AM
I hate the feeling when I realise I've left my phone at home, or even worse left it somewhere where I can't remember, which I did the other day and all I can say is thank god for web based GPS tracking lol.

Missing my address book on my phone doesn't bother me, as it's automatically synced online and on my computers/laptop. Same with email and calendar. I still feel lost without it though.

HappyFeet
November 10th, 2009, 01:35 AM
I'd a luddite with no mobile phone (cell phone for you US people), so its not that hard for me to imagine. I still have a nice cat 5 cable to my computer as well. :D

Do you also use a horse and buggy to get to work?

cascade9
November 10th, 2009, 02:22 PM
LOL, no. I catch the train or the bus.

I just really dislike mobile phones. Heh, I remember when the only people who had them here were farmers, yuppies or drug dealers. Now virtually everybody has one (AFAIK, australia has the highest rate of mobile phone ownership/useage in the world).

Edit- I dislike wireless stuff in general, hence the cat5.

LowSky
November 10th, 2009, 07:15 PM
Guess what, I left my phone at home agian!

The Real Dave
November 10th, 2009, 11:17 PM
Without my phone, my relationship with my girlfriend would probably go downhill very fast...ya, I'm one of the 500 texts a day kind of guys :lolflag:

misfitpierce
November 10th, 2009, 11:24 PM
I got T-Mobile so my contacts are on my Sim Card and automatically stored online to access anywhere in case of incidents like that :P

kpholmes
November 11th, 2009, 05:33 AM
That's why google voice is so nice.

misfitpierce
November 11th, 2009, 05:56 AM
That's why google voice is so nice.

Yeah thats true... I was using google voice to set it as one of my myfaves on t-mobile to get unlimited calling through it but since T-Mobile brought out cheapest unlimited calling plans I just stopped using my google voice except for when I don't want ppl to have my phone number via craigslist and other things.