PDA

View Full Version : Droid Phone -- Impressions

kevdog
November 9th, 2009, 02:46 PM
Well I went and got a Moto Droid over the weekend. I've never owned an iPhone so I can't say I could offer a valid comparison.

I think its biggest strengths that if you are using (dependent) on gmail and other google applications (google voice, IM, etc) it integrates really well.

The screen resolution is top notch.

The screen sensitivity -- leaves a little to be desired however.

Internet Browser - A couple of navigation buttons would really help!

Contact Lists - Don't get me started on this on -- a disaster since you can only sort by First Name but not Last Name or Company

Add-On Applications -- Seem to be a reasonable collection (again I know the iPhone has more) -- but to be honest I'm not sure how to guage quality of applications by just saying iPhone has more. IMO about 85% of the available applications are junk -- and I'm sure you can say that about the iPhone as well.

Slide out keyboard -- Very sturdy, but I don't use all that much. On screen keyboard with ability to provide word predictions works well for me.

They definitely need more of a selection of protective sleeves or cases that those currently offered. This could be expected since its just been released.

pwnst*r
November 9th, 2009, 03:16 PM
yeah, one of my girlfriends just got one and i played with it on friday. i agree with all that you've said and a couple more:

the bad:

the camera is slow as hell to startup.
although i love tne inclusion of a slide out qwerty, the keys feels are not that great. and that toggle/rocker? meh.
screen sensitivity, feels "off". hard to explain that one.
no official multi-touch
the music player is a bit of a joke (navigation and is just ugly)

the good:

the industrial design is nice. kinda retro/angular. i really like it.
verizon's 3G network
screen/resolution
GPS w/ turn by turn
android 2.0
video recorder
ARM Cortex A8 CPU

i own an iphone and although not an iphone killer, it's the next best thing and, unless apple is coming up with something new, will be surpassed by Android in the near future.

xuCGC002
November 9th, 2009, 03:55 PM
I have a "dumb" phone on Verizon and I was thrilled that the network would finally have an Android-based phone. Additionally, I'm receiving a HTC Dream for free soon, but without a network. And unfortunately Verizon is incompatible with the Dream. :(

LowSky
November 9th, 2009, 04:00 PM
I think its biggest strengths that if you are using (dependent) on gmail and other google applications (google voice, IM, etc) it integrates really well.

Contact Lists - Don't get me started on this on -- a disaster since you can only sort by First Name but not Last Name or Company
A Little trick I learned back in the day, use the first name field to list the company name or field

Add-On Applications -- Seem to be a reasonable collection (again I know the iPhone has more) -- but to be honest I'm not sure how to guage quality of applications by just saying iPhone has more. IMO about 85% of the available applications are junk -- and I'm sure you can say that about the iPhone as well.
iPhone Apps are mostly crap, a few shining products but can't the same be said about Linux, and Windows Software?

They definitely need more of a selection of protective sleeves or cases that those currently offered. This could be expected since its just been released.

Its been out a week, Apple has been out for years. Give the device some time. Withing 6 months there will be more applications, more customizing options, and maybe a few updates from google/motorola.

xuCGC002
November 9th, 2009, 04:37 PM
iPhone Apps are mostly crap, a few shining products but can't the same be said about Linux, and Windows Software?

But we need 800 apps that are just buttons that play a single .WAV file!

Cam42
November 9th, 2009, 05:04 PM
Yay fart apps!

No, seriously though. I'm really excited for the Droid/Eris.

FLMKane
November 9th, 2009, 05:07 PM
Very wierd question, is it possible to cross compile bash, gcc etc to Android, and then compile Battle for Wesnoth on it?

LowSky
November 9th, 2009, 05:10 PM
Yay fart apps!

No, seriously though. I'm really excited for the Droid/Eris.

Actually what is the Verizon/Google policy on community released applications? Is it like Apple with their review process? Can they reject application built by users or companies?

pwnst*r
November 9th, 2009, 05:11 PM
you peeps that are crying about too many crap apps, well i like having more choices. one man's killer app may not be mine and vice versa. unless of course you roll with the sheep, then nevermind.

Icehuck
November 9th, 2009, 05:20 PM
I've had an Android phone since the G1 was released. My problems with it are as follows.

GPS - It's not entirely accurate and sometimes says I'm somewhere else.

Apps - Most of them seem like front ends to apps that reside on the web. Limited storage space on the device tends to generate apps that are almost useless.

Storage Space - Why not put better storage in the device like the Iphone? Instead it's left to the consumer to get a bigger microSD card where Apps can't be stored. I know I got around this with rooting the phone, but to be honest root is borderline worthless.

Web - Using the web on this device is very awkward.

pwnst*r
November 9th, 2009, 05:27 PM
I've had an Android phone since the G1 was released. My problems with it are as follows.

Apps - Most of them seem like front ends to apps that reside on the web. Limited storage space on the device tends to generate apps that are almost useless.

Storage Space - Why not put better storage in the device like the Iphone? Instead it's left to the consumer to get a bigger microSD card where Apps can't be stored. I know I got around this with rooting the phone, but to be honest root is borderline worthless.

that's great but this is in regards to the Droid phone which utilizes Android 2.0.

Icehuck
November 9th, 2009, 05:35 PM
that's great but this is in regards to the Droid phone which utilizes Android 2.0.

Still uses the SD card for storage? Check

App store is still the same? Check

Web browser still clunky? Check

GPS - Haven't checked it.

Oh, since my phone is rooted, I can run 2.0

hanzomon4
November 9th, 2009, 05:36 PM
No one has mentioned the very ugly price for service... it's robbery

ElSlunko
November 9th, 2009, 05:38 PM
Good to hear the honest + and -'s. The touch screen thing kinda sucks, perhaps it can be rectified with software but kinda doubt it. Oh well, I'm stuck with ATT and it'll be a while if ever they get an Android based phone. Stupid iPhone.

pwnst*r
November 9th, 2009, 05:58 PM
Still uses the SD card for storage? Check

App store is still the same? Check

Web browser still clunky? Check

GPS - Haven't checked it.

Oh, since my phone is rooted, I can run 2.0

can run and DO run are two different things.

Icehuck
November 9th, 2009, 06:10 PM
can run and DO run are two different things.

Really? I did not know that.

pwnst*r
November 9th, 2009, 06:11 PM
i figured as much.

Joe Ker1086
November 9th, 2009, 06:14 PM
Anyone use a Droid and a Palm Pre? Verizon is a little on the pricey side if you ask me, lookin at goin with sprint and the Pre but the Driod looks pretty cool. I was an iPhone user for a while but lost it ](*,)

pwnst*r
November 9th, 2009, 06:27 PM
Anyone use a Droid and a Palm Pre? Verizon is a little on the pricey side if you ask me, lookin at goin with sprint and the Pre but the Driod looks pretty cool. I was an iPhone user for a while but lost it ](*,)

prices maybe a little different, but between ATT and Verizon, i'd go with Verizon even at a little higher price plan since they're network has been and is superior in my experience.

i have a data phone for work with verizon and my personal is an iphone with att.

LowSky
November 9th, 2009, 06:33 PM
No one has mentioned the very ugly price for service... it's robbery

The price for service is industry wide, if it was robbery than no one would buy these phones or the service.

Your use is on a different device, sure the OS is the same but the specs on the Motorola are superior in every way. The G1 was basically experimental it was an early device that gauged if Android would sell.

I'm not defending the Droid or Verizon, I'm just making sure people understand that comparing the phone to other Android phones is not going to be exact. It like comparing a modern PC with Windows, you compare the hardware not the OS.

GPS could be based on the Cellular Network Towers, not satellites like a car GPS. This setting can be changed in the map program if its available. My Blackberry has this option.

I rather have removable storage than have built in storage. It gives me more options for keeping files and such

Web on any mobile phone is a problem, things like java and flash are common complaints, the slow speeds of many phone networks 3G isn't as fast as the companies make it out to be, especially on AT&T and T-Mobile, who have large black out areas compared to Verizon and Sprint who have a larger high speed network.

Excedio
November 9th, 2009, 06:38 PM
I really liked the idea of getting the Droid. However, this /. article (http://mobile.slashdot.org/story/09/11/09/068255/Verizon-Droid-Tethering-Comes-At-a-Hefty-Price) makes me not want to get it. I know that upgrades to service cost money and all, but this seems to be a bit too much nickle & diming.

LowSky
November 9th, 2009, 07:01 PM
I really liked the idea of getting the Droid. However, this /. article (http://mobile.slashdot.org/story/09/11/09/068255/Verizon-Droid-Tethering-Comes-At-a-Hefty-Price) makes me not want to get it. I know that upgrades to service cost money and all, but this seems to be a bit too much nickle & diming.

every telco does this.

Joe Ker1086
November 9th, 2009, 07:07 PM
prices maybe a little different, but between ATT and Verizon, i'd go with Verizon even at a little higher price plan since they're network has been and is superior in my experience.

i have a data phone for work with verizon and my personal is an iphone with att.

Well I was leaning more toward sprint for the Pre.....dont really have any experience with the sprint network but im with tmobile right now and i dont think it can get any worse:lolflag:

pwnst*r
November 9th, 2009, 07:46 PM

unjailbroken iphones don't have an option of even getting tethering.

hanzomon4
November 9th, 2009, 08:40 PM
every telco does this.

Not ATT, I only pay for my unlimited data which is actually unlimited. And I don't pay extra for exchange support, that's the part that just makes me nuts. 15 bucks to use google sync.. F! that...

How's the music player on the droid

pwnst*r
November 9th, 2009, 08:51 PM
How's the music player on the droid

it sucks.

hanzomon4
November 9th, 2009, 09:22 PM
it sucks.

Dammit!! I really want an android, or linux friendly, smart phone to replace my iphone. But I need my jams :(

SomeGuyDude
November 9th, 2009, 09:54 PM
To me, the Droid is THE phone right now. Haven't had a chance to toy with the music player, but that's not a giant concern to be honest. It might not have the iPhone platform, but as long as it's adequate, an update can always fix it later. The rest of the thing is top notch. I had zero problems with the keyboard, the screen, the browser during the hour-ish I got to play with one at the club.

pwnst*r
November 9th, 2009, 10:00 PM
Dammit!! I really want an android, or linux friendly, smart phone to replace my iphone. But I need my jams :(

it's okay if you've never used another interface on a phone before, but it really pales in comparison to the iphone's, but that was expected, honestly.

Colonel Kilkenny
November 9th, 2009, 10:53 PM
every telco does this.
Perhaps in the US...

Forget Android (http://cool900.blogspot.com/2009/10/comparing-freedom-on-maemo-and-android.html) if you just can. I understand it can be hard the US because of the network/operator chaos. N900 would be my choice atm.

pwnst*r
November 9th, 2009, 11:03 PM
N900 would be my choice atm.

same, i hope a US carrier picks it up. i will be all over that. my contract with ATT is up in January

virusiidx
November 10th, 2009, 12:04 AM
One of my friend's just picked this up this past Friday so I got to mess around with it for a bit. The high resolution screen was the first thing I noticed. I played around with some apps and the camera. I actually didn't see how bad the camera was, it seemed just fine to me. Maybe because I have a Blackberry Storm (horrible) and I'm used to it, lol.

Since there was no music or media on the phone itself at the time, I didn't get to play with it much on that part. What makes the music player so bad? Mainly the navigation?

I'm currently with Verizon and my upgrade is almost ready. So I might just upgrade to this. I was impressed with it so far. I heard it was Google's experimental phone, so hopefully there will be constant updates to it.

Firestem4
November 10th, 2009, 12:29 AM
I think the phone itself is pretty cool, I haven't used it but have nothing to say against it. I am however pissed off at Verizon (I am too an existing verizon customer). I don't like their Service contracts at all; and when I heard what Service Contracts you need for the Droid (and/or potentially need) you can end up paying anywhere from $80-$400 a month for the damn phone.

source: http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/181590/verizon_droid_tethering_will_cost_you.html?tk=nl_d nx_h_crawl

I plainly refuse in any case to pay $30/month for Verizons capped internet usage which is why im more likely to wait for another Android phone to come out for T-Mobile where I can transfer my account to.

steev182
November 10th, 2009, 12:57 AM
The iPhone was a game changer for smartphones. I actually bought a T-Mobile Pulse and am getting rid of my 2G iPhone for several reasons:

When iPhoneOS 3.0 was released, I was unhappy with several things that I felt were false limitations of the iPhone 2G, mainly the story that A2DP wasn't supported by the Bluetooth chipset.

I feel this was a real letdown for the 2G owners, and then, when playing with an HTC Magic, and then a Samsung Galaxy, I decided that an Android phone would suit me better.

Honestly, this prompted me to move myself away from Apple products. The transition from iPhoneOS1.0 to 2.0 was awesome, and exciting, it was like getting a newer, better phone for nothing, but that wxperience didn't happen with 3.0.

The change to Android (even if it's only 1.5 rather than te 2.0 on Droid) has been great. These are the things I like so far about the new handset:

-Looks good, slightly similar to the iPhone 3G
-3G and GPS
-Google Latitude built in
-Widgets (quick views to Facebook/sports/news/weather)
-Google integration
-Nice having a trackball
-Typing is as responsive as the iPhone
-Can get 16GB microSD cards and possibly a 32GB card
And, the best part......

I put a support request into the Banshee forum, and in the next release it will support my phone for syncing, at the moment I'm just dragging and dropping music and video, still more syncing than is possible with the iPhone :)

geoken
November 10th, 2009, 01:25 AM
Since there was no music or media on the phone itself at the time, I didn't get to play with it much on that part. What makes the music player so bad? Mainly the navigation?

The navigation is fine, it gets ragged on for it's looks.

pwnst*r
November 10th, 2009, 03:31 AM
-Looks good, slightly similar to the iPhone 3G

lol?

steev182
November 10th, 2009, 03:46 AM
sorry, i meant the pulse rather than droid. But for a phone that costs 180gbp without a contract, it is a similar size and shape to an iPhone 3G.

hanzomon4
November 10th, 2009, 06:07 AM
The navigation is fine, it gets ragged on for it's looks.

Well if it's just looks... I only need nav comparable to the iphone, organization by artist/song/album, shuffle/repeat, the ability to get music/videos off the phone and sync ability with OSX/Linux. Things like cover flow, gapless playback, and smart playlist are minor pluses. I mean unless it's a total disaster I don't see how it could be that much worse then the iphone

treesurf
November 10th, 2009, 06:58 AM
I'm glad I got an HTC Hero instead of waiting for the Droid. I'm curious to see if HTC will give out an update to Android 2.0, though.

pwnst*r
November 10th, 2009, 12:37 PM
Well if it's just looks... I only need nav comparable to the iphone, organization by artist/song/album, shuffle/repeat, the ability to get music/videos off the phone and sync ability with OSX/Linux. Things like cover flow, gapless playback, and smart playlist are minor pluses. I mean unless it's a total disaster I don't see how it could be that much worse then the iphone

try it, you'll see. nav sucks and the app is ugly. hopefully it gets straightened out in future updates.

mraz01
November 11th, 2009, 01:18 AM
I own one since Saturday and I like the way it performs overall. My only two issues are the camera that doesnt feel like a 5mp camera and the browser that needs easy navigation buttons. I have to respectfully disagree with pwnst*r, the music player is great! Its straight forward, does playlist and very responsive. I dont need coverflow or other "eyecandy", I want it to play music and not drain my battery like a leech. The call quality is superb and the battery life is amazing. Even with multiple apps running the battery holds up for a while. I also loved the fact that it auto downloaded all my contacts when signing it to google, it goes great with google voice service, or any other google service for that matter. The touch screen is very good but not as responsive as the iPhone. Oh btw why do people love coverflow and such things if all their music collection is a mess?! Get the covers ppl! Verizons prices are a bit over the top, $30 for the "unlimited" data plan? Cmon...

hitman_dreams
November 11th, 2009, 05:05 PM
I've had the Eris since Friday and it's been f-ing awesome! So it doesn't have a 600mhz processor or 2.0(yet) or a 800x400 screen (yes I know that isn't the correct numbers, it's a generalization), it plays music pretty much flawlessly, touch screen is amazing, virtual keyboard rocks etc etc and the 7 home screens PER SCENE has been useful to me. The best part is while everyone else is spending $200 on the Motocrap I only spent $50 using my new every two and when the 1ghz androids come to verizon next year I won't feel bad on spending more money on one of them. But either way you went, you'll be happier than a pig in mud.

MichaelRX8
November 11th, 2009, 06:22 PM
I really like my Palm Pre so far (had it a few months). Linux OS, tethering works well and I really like the camera and music player.
I just wish they would hurry up with flash.

Slug71
November 11th, 2009, 06:30 PM
I really hope Android lays a major blow to MS Windows Mobile with this device.
I cant believe HTC which gave us the first Android device went and shipped a damn Windows one with the Touch Pro2.

I had to email them and tell them never to do that again. I just couldnt help it.

hitman_dreams
November 11th, 2009, 06:35 PM
I had to email them and tell them never to do that again. I just couldnt help it.

haha, I hope they take it to heart! And I too hope Microsoft takes a nice hit with these phones!!!

GCurry
November 16th, 2009, 05:00 AM
I had my wife's old Palm Treo hand-me-down, plus an iPod Touch 1st gen. She had an HTC Touch Pro, a Windows Mobile phone. We both upgraded to the Moto Droid on Verizon, our family carrier.

Net, we both LOVE the phone. Her HTC phone went to her son, trying to boot Android on it, and I haven't touched my iPod Touch since.

The screen is brilliant, the machine is fast, the phone, text, speech integration is outstanding, as well as google web integration.

I love the strategic vector they are on, feel they will be immensely strong competition for windows mobile and Apple, and will pull up if not past. I'm looking forward to improved flash/java integration, looking for an Android apps environment on Ubuntu.

The bad part is 30/mo for web from Verizon, but I have to say the web and our home wi-fi n is very responsive.

jt_04
November 26th, 2009, 03:01 PM
i've got the motorola droid and i love it. i've already connected to my home computer via samba and ssh. the only problem i've had with the phone is that sometimes it gets stuck in a cycle of rebooting every 30 seconds. i've returned my first phone and the second phone is now doing the same thing. i've tried rebooting into safe mode, with and without SD card, wiping the system cache, and nothing works. it's pretty frustrating, but i love the phone so i will be trying a third phone tomorrow after thanksgiving when the stores open up. apparently its a common problem.

amitabhishek
November 26th, 2009, 03:31 PM
I am not saying because Android is open source, linux, blah blah. I mean Android is really good!!!! I have HTC Touch and it just keep getting better.:p

kevdog
November 28th, 2009, 04:08 AM
i've got the motorola droid and i love it. i've already connected to my home computer via samba and ssh. the only problem i've had with the phone is that sometimes it gets stuck in a cycle of rebooting every 30 seconds. i've returned my first phone and the second phone is now doing the same thing. i've tried rebooting into safe mode, with and without SD card, wiping the system cache, and nothing works. it's pretty frustrating, but i love the phone so i will be trying a third phone tomorrow after thanksgiving when the stores open up. apparently its a common problem.

Too bad you have this problem. Its never happened with me. Ive used ConnectBot for ssh and AndFTP for sftp but I haven't configured samba (yet). Ive never had a random reboot except when I was less than 5% on battery life.

jt_04
December 2nd, 2009, 01:11 PM
Too bad you have this problem. Its never happened with me. Ive used ConnectBot for ssh and AndFTP for sftp but I haven't configured samba (yet). Ive never had a random reboot except when I was less than 5% on battery life.

it turns out I had downloaded a beta app that was making my phone reboot. i had to factory reset my phone to recover from the rebooting, but that gave me enough time to remove the app. no problems since.

oh, when i got a new phone or reset my phone, the droid completely restored the config of my previous phone. i mean re-installed my apps and changed my wallpaper and everything. unbelievable. the only thing it didn't do was restore my desktop icons and widgets (bummer).

HappinessNow
December 2nd, 2009, 01:22 PM
I plainly refuse in any case to pay $30/month for Verizons capped internet usage which is why im more likely to wait for another Android phone to come out for T-Mobile where I can transfer my account to.T-Mobile already has Android phones!

T-Mobile G1™ with Google™
T-Mobile myTouch 3G
Motorola CLIQ
Samsung Behold® II
http://www.t-mobile.com/shop/phones/?wt.z_HP=Shop_Phones

...but honestly I would use any other carrier besides T-Mobile!

Sin@Sin-Sacrifice
December 2nd, 2009, 01:37 PM
I've had a G1 since its debut and I couldn't be happier. I mean... it could have better hardware but I can still use the thing. Running Cyanogen 4.2.6 with some custom themes this thing is rock solid, fast, and fun. Textonphone is the best app by far. Don't believe that one's available for the iphone. I just hope t-mobile comes out with one as good as this (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/sony/6493208/Sony-Ericsson-unveils-Xperia-X10-Android-phone.html) but the X10 sounds too good to be true.

killa.fr0gg
December 2nd, 2009, 02:36 PM
Get it!
Android is a great platform. Speaking as a developer for both Apple and Android handsets (search SJC Linguistics on your iThings or Android things), Android is truly the next generation of the mobile platform and its business model is going to throw it way ahead of the competition (seriously, though, Apple=Big Brother to iThing developers). I'm super excited to see where this very interesting step takes Google and the mobile market!

whiskeylover
December 2nd, 2009, 04:58 PM
Biggest problem I have with Verizon - Its CDMA. They may have a better 3G coverage, but its still CDMA, when the rest of the world uses GSM.

CDMA = no simultaneous voice and data.
CDMA = phone tied to network. Can't use it with other networks. Big disadvantage when traveling abroad and want to use the phone with a cheap local network.
There are more disadvantages, I'm sure.

HappinessNow
December 2nd, 2009, 07:47 PM
Biggest problem I have with Verizon - Its CDMA. They may have a better 3G coverage, but its still CDMA, when the rest of the world uses GSM.

CDMA = no simultaneous voice and data.
CDMA = phone tied to network. Can't use it with other networks. Big disadvantage when traveling abroad and want to use the phone with a cheap local network.
There are more disadvantages, I'm sure.Good point. What does Sprint use?

whiskeylover
December 2nd, 2009, 07:53 PM
Same... I think.

AFAIK, AT&T and TMobile are the only networks in the US which use GSM. I use AT&T.

yester64
December 2nd, 2009, 09:34 PM

Mm..
GPS, even the portable GPS units are not that accurate. I have a TomTom and it gets it sometimes wrong.
Regarding storage, i find apple also very closed in the sense you can not upgrade memory. true that it is a bummer that you can't store app on the microsd. I hoped you can. I suspect that it is the intention of these companies that you can not add memory to swap apps at all.

yester64
December 2nd, 2009, 09:37 PM
T-Mobile already has Android phones!

http://www.t-mobile.com/shop/phones/?wt.z_HP=Shop_Phones

...but honestly I would use any other carrier besides T-Mobile!

I will get the myTouch since it has Android 2.0, the other ones use 1.5 i think. I like the HTC Hero, but that only with Sprint and its CDMA so not for me. :(

pookiebear
December 2nd, 2009, 11:53 PM
exchange sync is critical for my biz. 99% of the email servers I support are ms exchange. Does Droid 2 sync with an exchange server without have to spend an hour installing some app?

gnomeuser
December 2nd, 2009, 11:54 PM
Sadly the Motorola Milestone (Droid) isn't coming to Denmark. I am wondering about options for import alternatively I could wait for the HTC Dragon which seems even slicker but I suspect the same problem would exist here with regards to importing.

So if I was to import either one of these babies what should I look out for and how do I ensure that my telco will support the phone?

I found a means to import it from the UK sim-free:
http://www.expansys.dk/d.aspx?i=190229

Sin@Sin-Sacrifice
December 5th, 2009, 03:25 PM
I will get the myTouch since it has Android 2.0, the other ones use 1.5 i think. I like the HTC Hero, but that only with Sprint and its CDMA so not for me. :(

You can have 2.0 on any android phone... you just have to flash it yourself.

amitabhishek
December 5th, 2009, 06:16 PM
You can have 2.0 on any android phone... you just have to flash it yourself.

I have HTC Magic and I would be interested. Any link/tut?

HappinessNow
December 5th, 2009, 10:43 PM
Actually the Droid by Motorola with Verizon has Android 2.0 also

gnomeuser
December 12th, 2009, 01:54 AM
As I couldn't justify buying an unlocked Motorola Milestone, and my phone gave up on life today I went and bought a HTC Hero.

It's a wonderful device, I am loving every minute of it.

kevdog
December 12th, 2009, 04:52 AM
I would kill for an ssh daemon on the Android Phone -- hopefully now that Android 2.0 has been rooted -- a fix is in the works.

treesurf
December 12th, 2009, 05:33 AM
Excellent! I'm pretty pleased with my Hero as well. It's a great phone.

Sin@Sin-Sacrifice
December 17th, 2009, 07:30 AM
I have HTC Magic and I would be interested. Any link/tut?

First you have to get root access: http://android-dls.com/wiki/index.php?title=Magic_Rooting

Then you get a custom rom and reflash. Here's the one I use: http://www.cyanogenmod.com/

amitabhishek
December 17th, 2009, 11:49 AM
Thanks for the info.

bluenova
December 17th, 2009, 01:29 PM
I was umming and ahring about the Moto Droid. Reading the comments about the hardware has confirmed I should stop umming and ahring and get the HTC Hero with the lovely Sense UI.

Tristam Green
December 17th, 2009, 02:09 PM
I played with a Droid in-store the other day. Thing feels flimsy to me :| The button reminds me of a fingerprint reader, and I dislike the lines of it. Overall a big turn off.

The Hero, though - is just slick.