PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] gnome not starting on ubuntu bootable usb/cd

wrathican
November 9th, 2009, 02:25 PM
hi there,
I've just started a new job and they asked which OS I would prefer. So I said ubuntu. They gave me a live USB of 9.04, which I proceeded to boot from.

The splash screen came up asking me to select a language, I choose english, I then selected the 'Install Ubuntu' option and the data started to load.

Once the data had loaded the terminal appeared and then flashed, what i assumed to be, a command before the whole screen went dark. I'm guessing that the command was something along the lines of 'start gnome' or what have you. but from the experience i have from many a ubuntu installations this is where the install wizard should appear.

This happened even if i selected the 'Try Ubuntu' option either from a live cd or USB.

we then downloaded 9.10 and made a live USB and exactly the same thing happened.

system is:
nvidia 9600 gt
intel q6600 2.4Ghz
4GB RAM

anyone have any idea as to why i dont see the install wizard?

Thanks in advanced.
Ash

jerrrys
November 10th, 2009, 05:31 AM
same thing happen to me. so i went and had a cup of coffee and when i got back, mr wizard was there. just may need to give it some more time...

sir4taye
November 11th, 2009, 09:16 AM
I'm having a slight variation of this problem.
When I start use the 9.10 or 9.04 disc, I can click install or try it out and the computer starts in then goes to a screen full of vertical colored and moving lines.
I try to start in safe graphics mode and the same except the screen goes blank after telling me that the monitor doesn't support this frequency.
Is there a way to preload a video driver or an install option to preconfigure the nvidia g 6 series pci-express card?
I'm guessing the video card is the issue and I can't find a comparable post about this type install problem.

jerrrys
November 11th, 2009, 04:27 PM
hi sir4taye

if the live cd will not work for you may want to try an install using the "alternate install cd"
this is dated, but will give you the basic idea of how to

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/I386

more here

http://www.googlubuntu.com/results/?cx=006238239194895611142%3Au-ocqbntw_o&cof=FORID%3A9&ie=UTF-8&q=alternate+install&as_qdr=all&sa=Google+Search&lang=en#1015

sir4taye
November 11th, 2009, 06:25 PM
The install goes through all the way with the "alternate" disc, but when I do the first boot, it loads into the same weird line screen.
I need boot options to configure the video card long enough to get the restricted drivers up and running.