PDA

View Full Version : gksudo cp throws out a file not found error

kainalu
November 9th, 2009, 10:12 AM
Hey everyone,

Im getting an error in a script while trying to cp using gksudo

gksudo "cp /home/$user_name/Desktop/Temp_aircraft_install_dir/* $FG_AC_DIR -r"

results in:

cp: cannot stat `/home/kainalu/Desktop/Temp_aircraft_install_dir/*': No such file or directory

The variables at the beginning of the file are correct, and I even tried absolutes to see if the variables were throwing a wrench, no luck. I want to actually do
Code:

~/Desktop/Temp_aircraft_install_dir/*

instead, but that throws even more problems out.

THANKS ALL!!!

John Bean
November 9th, 2009, 10:28 AM
Inside the gksudo command you are root, and of course there's no such user in the /home subtree. The error reported is very confusing; I suspect it's not what it appears to be at face value.

spupy
November 9th, 2009, 02:11 PM
Hey everyone,

Im getting an error in a script while trying to cp using gksudo

gksudo "cp /home/$user_name/Desktop/Temp_aircraft_install_dir/* $FG_AC_DIR -r"

results in:

cp: cannot stat `/home/kainalu/Desktop/Temp_aircraft_install_dir/*': No such file or directory

The variables at the beginning of the file are correct, and I even tried absolutes to see if the variables were throwing a wrench, no luck. I want to actually do
Code:

~/Desktop/Temp_aircraft_install_dir/*

instead, but that throws even more problems out.

THANKS ALL!!!

Do you want to copy the "Temp_aircraft_install_dir" folder recursively? Try removing the * at the end.

sisco311
November 9th, 2009, 02:21 PM
try:

gksudo "bash -c 'cp /home/$user_name/Desktop/Temp_aircraft_install_dir/* $FG_AC_DIR -r'"

benj1
November 9th, 2009, 02:24 PM
why are you using gksudo

you should be using sudo for terminal apps, you also don't need to quote it

ikt
November 9th, 2009, 02:48 PM
why are you using gksudo

Indeed, from the manpage:

gksu is a frontend to su and gksudo is a frontend to sudo. Their primary purpose is to run graphical commands that need root without the need to run an X terminal emulator and using su directly.

spupy
November 9th, 2009, 03:21 PM
why are you using gksudo

Indeed, from the manpage:

I assume OP uses it for a script that he doesn't run from the terminal, but by clicking it/using a shortcut. In that case he will need gksu, even if using other terminal programs.

kainalu
November 9th, 2009, 07:06 PM
The script calls dialog, and that is why I want a front end for sudo. It makes no sense to have the whole script as a GUI except for when I need permissions. Also, I am trying to only copy the contents of the directory, not the whole directory, as the directory is just a temp container for stuff to get un-tarred into and worked on before getting moved.

The command:
gksudo "bash -c 'cp /home/$user_name/Desktop/Temp_aircraft_install_dir/* $FG_AC_DIR -r'"
Worked perfectly.

THANKS GUYS!!! :D:D:D