PDA

View Full Version : Backend crashing every day.

sydneysuder
November 9th, 2009, 08:25 AM
I am having to re-initialize my backend every day. At first I thought it was autoexpire issues (I had a thread for that) but after changing some settings it seemed to have gone away.

But now it is back. It seems that sometimes it stops working when it starts recording a program. I have a program (junkyard wars) scheduled for 6:30 pm everyday and it pretty much craps out recording that program every day. Some days it doesn't (every now and then).

I have looked at the logs and see nothing that tells me what is going on. I'd appreciate if someone can shed a light on the situation.

http://mythbuntu.pastebin.com/m73fe5b36

BTW the logs show the frontend started on 10/27... I don't usually run the frontend on that machine so you can ignore it.

CONFIGURATION
Machine: Virtual Machine running with 512MB Ram and assigned one of four cores on a Q9400 Intel CPU
HDD: Two drives. System drive is 9 GB and data drive is 500GB (mounted on /video/videos

azmyth
November 9th, 2009, 06:59 PM
Are you using 0.21 or 0.22?

sydneysuder
November 9th, 2009, 08:05 PM
0.21 with myth repos enabled (Not ppa) because I have the hdhr dbvt version.

Skybolt83JL
November 9th, 2009, 09:39 PM
That sounds like the fun I had with 0.21 and the pcHDTV HD5500 cards. Upgrading to trunk daily builds (0.22) helped greatly.

YMMV caveat emptor no warranty is implied or expressed.

OffAxis
November 9th, 2009, 11:42 PM
512MB Ram and assigned one of four cores on a Q9400 Intel CPU
Is that enough processor power? I thought 3 GHz was the minimum recommended for HD recording...(myth website's down right now, otherwise I'd check)

nickrout
November 10th, 2009, 02:15 AM
Is that enough processor power? I thought 3 GHz was the minimum recommended for HD recording...(myth website's down right now, otherwise I'd check)

There is no real minimum CPU for recording HD. Most HD comes as a digital stream requiring no processing, it is just dumped to disk.

Commflagging, transcoding or watching on the other hand...

sydneysuder
November 10th, 2009, 08:31 AM

Apart from crapping out once a day (and only once a day) it runs fine. I have had 3 frontends (two on livetv and one on playback) running at the same time whilst recording a program without any performance issues.

sydneysuder
November 10th, 2009, 08:34 AM
That sounds like the fun I had with 0.21 and the pcHDTV HD5500 cards. Upgrading to trunk daily builds (0.22) helped greatly.

YMMV caveat emptor no warranty is implied or expressed.

I have the mythrepos installed, how is that different? or is it the ppa one that I need to enable to go to .22.

I check for updates every day and there is nothing. The only time that there were any available was when I first installed (and the HRHD tuners wouldn't work)