PDA

View Full Version : What's your favorite release?

KiLaHuRtZ
November 9th, 2009, 07:12 AM
Just curious what is the most favored release to date by the community.

Dark_Stang
November 9th, 2009, 07:19 AM
8.04 changed a lot for me. Everything seemed smooth, polished, and functional. I have to say 8.04 was the biggest improvement over it's prior releases. However there are a lot of performance improvements for me with 9.10.

running_rabbit07
November 9th, 2009, 07:37 AM
You forgot Karmic.

Perfect Storm
November 9th, 2009, 07:47 AM
Thread moved. I can add 9.10 if OP wants it in the poll.

CharmyBee
November 9th, 2009, 07:55 AM
8.10 was the last one that didn't stink, IMO.

Странник
November 9th, 2009, 07:56 AM

running_rabbit07
November 9th, 2009, 08:08 AM
At first I was screaming "Karmic!" But now I am back to running Jaunty until the next 1 or 2 kernel updates come out.

gnomeuser
November 9th, 2009, 09:26 AM
9.04 it was the last of the Ubuntu releases before Canonical decided to reimplement a ton of perfectly good technologies such as PackageKit and plymouth. Karmic made me leave Ubuntu for that reason.

-grubby
November 9th, 2009, 09:32 AM
I think Gusty worked the best for me.

Exodist
November 9th, 2009, 09:34 AM
LOL why no 9.10

EDIT:
BTW I liked 5.10 64bit. It was simple and stable.

MickS
November 9th, 2009, 09:41 AM
9.10 The most straightforward upgrade so far.

Mick

kio_http
November 9th, 2009, 09:43 AM
9.10 (Why isn't it in the poll)

Viva
November 9th, 2009, 09:55 AM
Karmic is easily the best Ubuntu(or OS for that matter) I've used, but Hardy has to be my favourite. It was so good I've skipped the intrepid release.

praveenthivari
November 9th, 2009, 10:06 AM
Karmic. But y isn't it in list?

Zoot7
November 9th, 2009, 10:18 AM
Without doubt Hardy.
It was probably the most stable OS I've ever used.
Skipped intrepid, and had my fair share of problems with Feitsy and Gutsy too (nothing serious), Hardy pretty much solved all of those.

Jaunty hosed my sound with a kernel update and I had to upgrade the kernel to a new version myself to fix it. Karmic's been pretty flawless so-far, my only gripe being Pulseaudio and Grub 2.

The Funkbomb
November 9th, 2009, 10:44 AM
I have to say 8.10 since it was the first release I used. I was like a kid in a candy store. I learned so much. Probably much more than what I learned with my 20 years of windows.

Arathorn
November 9th, 2009, 01:38 PM
Since Karmic's not on the list, I go for Edgy. Although it was supposed to be less stable, it worked with less problems for me then Dapper, and was also a lot better then Feisty (which was crap).

empty_spaces
November 9th, 2009, 01:52 PM
Without a doubt, Karmic is the best till date.
I actually started with Gutsy, which got me hooked and then Hardy sealed the deal.
So I would say Karmic followed by Hardy.

chucky chuckaluck
November 9th, 2009, 01:53 PM
they've all been pretty much the same to me (i don't think i ever tried intrepid, though).

JeffersonX
November 9th, 2009, 02:11 PM
I've used Ubuntu since 4.10 release and in my opnion the last release is the best. Karmic Koala bring us a fast, clean, and professional system.

KiLaHuRtZ
November 9th, 2009, 02:42 PM
Yes, please add Karmic! Sorry, but the default limit on polls is ten items, so I left out Karmic since it is the newest and has only been out a few weeks.

KiLaHuRtZ
November 9th, 2009, 02:49 PM
2nd to Hardy, I loved Breezy which was a godsend for Sparc systems. Dapper had all kinds of hardware discovery problems for me on Sparc systems. Then Hardy came along and at the first point release, ran wonderfully on Sparc. If I could go back, I would revert my few Karmic boxes to Hardy. Although, I am feeling confident the Ubuntu team will make the right decisions when it comes to Lucid. And if that proves true, I will stay with Lucid until the next LTS release. Makes me glad I left all my servers on Hardy...\\:D/\\:D/\\:D/\\:D/

JDShu
November 9th, 2009, 03:38 PM
I was able to use Ubuntu with no hassle with Intrepid. Before that, wireless did not work out of the box.

amazingtaters
November 9th, 2009, 03:57 PM
For me it was Hardy. It was the first one that I didn't have to work very hard with to get everything running as it should, and it stood leaps and bounds above the previous two releases that I had run.

Viva
November 9th, 2009, 04:00 PM
for me it was hardy. it was the first one that i didn't have to work very hard with to get everything running as it should, and it stood leaps and bounds above the previous two releases that i had run.

+1

koleoptero
November 9th, 2009, 04:33 PM
I have to say feisty cause it was what made me move permanently to ubuntu. Jaunty and Karmic work well too.

I think Gusty worked the best for me.
I hate Gutsy just because a vast majority of people can't say it right. :P

bigbrovar
November 9th, 2009, 05:30 PM
9.04 it was the last of the Ubuntu releases before Canonical decided to reimplement a ton of perfectly good technologies such as PackageKit and plymouth. Karmic made me leave Ubuntu for that reason.
Am not sure why you were surprised. Canonical is know for many things, working with upstream to develop technologies is not one of them. They rather re-work re implement things NIH. I still wonder why they refused to use plymouth which works way way better compared to xsplash. (which thankfully is not installed on kubuntu) Plymouth now is default for Fedora Mandriva and Opensuse(?) makes more sense because they are more people working on it and its well tested and works cross platform. But They rather do things their own way and carry the burden of support. Also take a look at software center as its currently implemented it only works in gnome. Although its based on packagekit am wondering, why not just use package-kit? Packagekit by default has both qt and gtk frontend and even though right now its not feature complete surely they can have people work with upstream so that it can be better improved, In the end everyone would benefit.

coolbrook
November 9th, 2009, 05:38 PM
I'll think about voting, but for now I'll say Feisty (7.04) because of the Live CD's options and jiving with old hardware and, from what I can remember, it had seamless, simple LAN/filesharing set up to networks including Windows machines.

Marlonsm
November 9th, 2009, 05:45 PM
It's Jaunty for me. But so far I've only used Intrepid, Jaunty and Karmic, I've also tried Feisty in a LiveCD.

And Karmic is also going very well for me...

ratcheer
November 9th, 2009, 05:49 PM
9.10 here, too.

Tim

whoop
November 9th, 2009, 05:56 PM
Good point, although I voted for hardy...

KiLaHuRtZ
November 12th, 2009, 07:49 AM
::bump::

running_rabbit07
November 12th, 2009, 07:51 AM
::bump::

I am liking Lucid, but they haven't started making changes yet.

Edit: I was wrong, it is doing its first package update right now.

Nevon
November 12th, 2009, 10:16 AM
9.10. It has worked perfectly for me so far.

Luffield
November 12th, 2009, 10:22 AM
Feisty, because it was the first Ubuntu release that didn't require me to open a terminal even once to get everything working.
I've used all versions since Hoary and basically I liked them all.

judge jankum
November 12th, 2009, 10:24 AM
I've been trying to learn Linux/Ubuntu for a couple months now, and just today got 9.04 running flawless for what i do.....My son has Xubuntu 8.04 running for him... Once you have a system (any Ubuntu) working right it's fantastic!!!!

JBAlaska
November 12th, 2009, 10:33 AM
Loving Karmic, but I had to vote for Feisty Fawn, this was the release when I finally "GOT" Ubuntu!