PDA

View Full Version : Best Total Commander replacement for Gnome?

therabyte
November 9th, 2009, 05:02 AM
I've been using Midnight Commander for a while, but decided to switch to a utility with an easier-on-the-eyes GUI.

I tried gnome-commander but it's very slow when copying large files to USB hd's (about 4 times slower than Nautilus).

I know Krusader is very good, but don't want to install the whole KDE packages in order to run it.

Any suggestions?

Странник
November 9th, 2009, 07:15 AM
I have not been able to find a perfect alternative

FuturePilot
November 9th, 2009, 07:29 AM
Emelfm2 is good.

kzlazy
November 9th, 2009, 07:34 AM
You should try Meld. It is in the repos and works like a charm...

handy
November 9th, 2009, 01:51 PM
Being an old Amiga user, I was stoked when I found Worker (a DOpus clone).

It is very customisable via a configuration GUI, comes with a good config to start with. Has lots of depth re, inbuilt skills & next to no dependencies.

chucky chuckaluck
November 9th, 2009, 01:55 PM
bsc is pretty fast.

therabyte
November 9th, 2009, 09:47 PM
I tried Emelfm2, bsc and Worker.

They're all good utilities. I decided to keep Worker cause it behaved flawlessly and it's very fast and customizable (and once customized to my personal taste it's easy to move the settings to the other machines I have to deal with every day).

Thank yall for your suggestions.

handy
November 10th, 2009, 08:42 AM
From memory Worker is >8 years old & has been built & maintained by the same guy all that time.

Bjalf
November 10th, 2009, 10:13 AM
Tux Commander?

Tux Commander is a windowed file manager with 2 panels side by side similar to popular Total Commander or Midnight Commander file managers. The main goal of this project is to create powerful and user friendly file manager for Unix operating systems.

General features:

Graphical application, uses GTK2 windowing toolkit
Two directory panels side by side (vertical)
Tabbed interface, buttons for quick access to favorite places
Configurable mounter bar for quick access to removable media and network shares
Multilingual user interface
Basic VFS (Virtual File System) support, allowing you to browse archives and network places
Extendable via plugin system, several VFS modules available in the distribution
Portable, no installation required, usable right after the extraction
Designed for GNOME and XFCE desktop environments while preserving complete independency (libraries are loaded dynamically when available)
Extension-based file type actions (associations)
Threaded file operations
Large files (> 4GB) support
Main application written in Object Pascal language (with FreePascal as default compiler), plugins are written in C/C++ language
Sources available in GIT repository

http://tuxcmd.sourceforge.net/images/sshot_new_02.png