PDA

View Full Version : What percent of your 10 closest friends or associates use Ubuntu?

mwalimu54
November 9th, 2009, 04:17 AM
Just curious, are you living in or creating a pocket of Ubuntu users? Tell us a bit about what your friends or colleagues are using?

chris200x9
November 9th, 2009, 04:22 AM
10? hmmm...5? or 50 i meant, 5% of 10 is half a person :D

SunnyRabbiera
November 9th, 2009, 04:23 AM
3 full install, 4 ish dual boot (one is still using Windows regularly but her windows use is decreasing)
I have sampled Buntu to a few of my friends, but not all have it.
Some use other linuxes, 1 uses fedora, 2 use Mandriva, 4 use openSUSE all on dualboots.
I even have a few coworkers using Mepis, my first distro

jollysnowman
November 9th, 2009, 04:29 AM
With my friends, it's a mix of Windows and Mac OS (most comp sci majors here have macs). Only one of my main group of friends uses Linux, but not Ubuntu. I think he runs Gentoo.

I got my girlfriend into Ubuntu though, after she saw the XFCE logo/mouse.

Irihapeti
November 9th, 2009, 04:50 AM
100% of the members of my family who live in Auckland.

OK, that's only three people, including me.

Tipped OuT
November 9th, 2009, 04:55 AM
0%

irishbreakfast
November 9th, 2009, 05:01 AM
I am concentrating my efforts on the next generation - my children.

ihendley
November 9th, 2009, 07:25 AM
How about 5 choices where each represents an equal percentage? 7 choices is a little weird.

note32
November 9th, 2009, 07:31 AM
everybody i know uses windows or mac im the only one with ubuntu

Zoot7
November 9th, 2009, 10:14 AM
2 of my friends (20%) use it with about 3 other Linux distros along with XP too.

Small_Nuke
November 9th, 2009, 04:20 PM
My 10 closest friends generally know about Linux and Ubuntu, but only 2 or 3 actually use it. It's generally understood that we all think Linux and FOSS are great, but when you attend college in the U.S. your forced to use Windows so we don't really have a choice right now. Some professors at my community college know about OO.o and work with students to make sure things are formatted correctly, but the vast majority just expect you to use Windows and Office.

Trying to explain Linux to anyone in a small talk conversation is almost impossible. Many people are completely oblivious to the fact that you can have a OS on a PC other than Windows. The only reason I got into Linux is because of a teacher I had in High School for computer science. If more teachers would use Linux in the classroom I think it would increase the number of users, and the public would start to get a clue about Linux in general.

Eisenwinter
November 9th, 2009, 04:41 PM
0%
Same for me.

coolbrook
November 9th, 2009, 04:49 PM
Is "none" still "less than 20%"? I'm having a crisis here.

8-[

Eisenwinter
November 9th, 2009, 04:52 PM
Is "none" still "less than 20%"? I'm having a crisis here.

8-[
Yeah, I see your point here. I think that option should've been made 0.1% - 20%, instead of less than 20%

lukjad
November 9th, 2009, 04:56 PM
Just curious, are you living in or creating a pocket of Ubuntu users? Tell us a bit about what your friends or colleagues are using?
I'm going to go with geographic location and say 20% or so.

chucky chuckaluck
November 9th, 2009, 05:44 PM
0%

ratcheer
November 9th, 2009, 05:47 PM
If any of my friends uses it, I don't know about it. 95% use some form of Windows, a few use Macs.

Tim

ice60
November 9th, 2009, 05:54 PM
0% i don't know one person who has any interest with computers and absolutely 100% of my friends and family tell me to shut up if i even mention them. of course i don't listen to them either and just carry on talking :D they all know what linux is lol.

Icebear
November 9th, 2009, 08:28 PM
My wife now uses ubuntu for about 3 years. It took a lot of work though.

At the beginning I tried to convince her with a lot of talking This did not go well and I had to give up. Then I took a new approach where I customize ubuntu to fit her needs better than the other os.

She speaks 3 languages but she demands the other keyboard to her liking. Back in my window days it was a pain. But with a lot of help from google I managed to change the keyboard layout in ubuntu so now she uses ubuntu happily. (not bad for a non techi to change the xkb files:popcorn:)

RiceMonster
November 9th, 2009, 08:34 PM
Maybe 5-10%? I don't know. Most of them use Windows but I have friends using Slackware, Gentoo and Ubuntu

kyuubi777
November 9th, 2009, 08:38 PM
not a damn one of them... although, when my sis comes back from college for the winter i'm going to make her run karmic as a vm under parallels :D