PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] firefox

824957q
November 9th, 2009, 01:49 AM
would anyone know how to install firefox on kubuntu 9.4 when i try to run it or install it it says save a or open with ark can someone tell me how to do this

dvlchd3
November 9th, 2009, 01:53 AM
Can you install from the commandline?

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install firefox

Sometimes Synaptics doesn't play well, this just may be one of those times. (On the other hand, I've had to use Synaptics sometimes because apt-get and aptitude don't work right...o the odd things I'm finding hilarious right now...)

824957q
November 9th, 2009, 02:00 AM
man no i can't do that cause im having a problem with my computer cause my usernaame is unknown to sudo and i can't install anything can you help me with this?

GO%)$@*1
November 9th, 2009, 02:02 AM
I don't have much experience with kubuntu but maybe you could add your username to the sudoers file? Someone help me out please, I don't know much about it.

824957q
November 9th, 2009, 02:04 AM
how do i do that

dvlchd3
November 9th, 2009, 09:24 PM
There is no way to install firefox globally without sudo rights. You may be able to download firefox from Mozilla's site and try installing it that way. If it is successful, only your user account will be able to use it.

As for restoring the sudoer rights, you have to boot into recovery mode:
Once you have the shell prompt do the following:

useradd -G admin [your_username]
shutdown -r now

This will add your user to the "admin" group which is the default sudoers group in Ubuntu.