PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 9.1 is slow and buggy

iameatingjam
November 9th, 2009, 12:34 AM
since I upgraded a few days ago I've had noticed a huge drop in performance, compiz effects that used to work smoothly I cant even use anymore, even opening a folder or closing a window is a very irritating task. I've had a lot of applications become unresponsive too.

One reason I'm thinking is when the installer asked if I wanted to keep the obsolete libraries I accidentally did.

Could this be a the reason? or is there anything I can do about this? can I downgrade back to 9?

I'm running 2.8ghz celeron with 2gb ram and 256mb of vram

paxmark1
November 9th, 2009, 04:39 AM
9.10 is the new version also called karmic

9.04 is the previous version jaunty.

from what i read on
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1182615&highlight=downgrade+karmic

It looks like if you make the decision to downgrade back to 9.04 then you would need to reinstall. If you choose this route, the first thing to do is to back up your personal data (seriously, you need backups of data)

and then you would have to do a clean install to /
You can leave /home as is
(assuming you have a directory called /home where all your personal files are.

The alternate disk always has more readily available options for these sorts of things, especially partitioning.

NOTE: Don't take my word as gospel. Research around. There is probably ways around with aptitude or synaptic to purge or remove the possibly offending old libraries. That might be the problem. However I my guess would be that conflicting libraries would cause programs to crash more than slow things down. Look at your most cpu intensive processes in system/adminstration/systemmonitor or via the cli with htop or top. Moi, dual core 2.4 ghz and intel gma video and 4 gb and the upgrade to 9.10 went well, but that is not the case for everyone I hear.

peace mark

SnarlSlayer
November 10th, 2009, 02:47 AM
since I upgraded a few days ago I've had noticed a huge drop in performance, compiz effects that used to work smoothly I cant even use anymore, even opening a folder or closing a window is a very irritating task. I've had a lot of applications become unresponsive too.

It's not just you. I have a top of the line machine and even on a clean install some programs run slowly and others are unusable-- like Evolution.

I'm guessing that it will take a few weeks for everything to be fixed via updates. But for now, I cannot use 9.10...:-({|=

SS