PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Install sees RAID when none exists

mooreted
November 9th, 2009, 12:01 AM
Trying to install 9.10. It sees my onboard RAID controller which is disabled in BIOS. I have tried removing all drives but one by physically unplugging them. When I do that Ubuntu doesn't see any drives at all, it insists on having my fake RAID conroller enabled. I don't want to use fake RAID.

mooreted
November 9th, 2009, 10:44 PM
Oh well, I'm running fake raid. Didn't have a choice. I'm going to file a bug report.

Ginsu543
November 10th, 2009, 07:45 AM
I had the same problem as you did but I got it to work by doing the following:
1) Unplugged all drives except the one I was installing to
2) Booted in live session with Karmic live CD (without installing)
3) Opened Terminal and ran sudo apt-get remove dmraid
4) Ran the installer by double-clicking its icon on the desktop

This allowed the installer to see my SATA drive by itself and not as a member of a non-existent RAID array. Once I installed the OS onto this drive, I shut down, plugged in my other drives, and rebooted. Now that everything is finally working right, Karmic is a very nice OS. One thing to note: if you install Gparted, make sure to sudo apt-get remove dmraid again because dmraid gets reinstalled as part of the Gparted package. There may be something broken with dmraid that may be causing all these problems.

mooreted
November 10th, 2009, 03:57 PM
Thank you. Don't know why I didn't think of that.

For now I have RAID running. I keep constant backups, so I guess I can take this opportunity to see how reliable my onboard RAID controller is.

If no one has filed a bug report, I'm going to do so. We should have a choice.