PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Are bittorrent discs corrupt?

britlion
November 8th, 2009, 11:40 PM
I downloaded i386, and tried to boot it in a VMware machine.

It hung, with a blinking cursor.

I downloaded i386 Netbook, and booted it on a netbook.

Booted, and when I chose "install" it came up with an error. In text mode it was more forthcoming: Invalid or Corrupt kernel image.

So, this is the third release in a row I'm walking away from, shaking my head. Incidentally, windows 7 installs and works just fine. If Canonical want to be the competition, they should worry less about pretty user interface changes and make it just work on live hardware. Or virtual hardware or something.

oh, I have a server using 8.10 that's been just fine. I've never upgraded though. I didn't have the heart to make trouble for myself. On the desktop side, 8.10 and 9.04 have been jsut execrable in terms of getting them to work as mainstream operating systems.

No doubt I'll be trying again in six months, trying to be excited about booting microsoft off the computer; but frankly if I can't use my computer to do what I want, and with windows I can, how on earth can I consider changing?

This time, I can't even install...

So, anyone else had such issues? Is it just me that's plain linux unlucky?

QIII
November 8th, 2009, 11:55 PM
It has worked for me, and many millions, without incident. But this forum indicates that such is not the case for everyone.

However, you will also find Windows help forums where people discuss the issues they are having with Microsoft OSs.

No, torrent downloads are not inherently corrupt. I downloaded all of the Karmic Alphas, the Beta, the RC and the final release that way and installed all of them.

You may be encountering issues more related to a VMWare environment than with the OS itself. Don't eliminate VMWare as a possible source of the difficulty.

Have you attempted a dual boot so that you have a purely native Ubuntu installation?

When you burned your .ISOs, did you check the md5sum? Did you choose the option to check the disk for errors from the menu on the LiveCD? Did you attempt to run Ubuntu in a Live session?